Surfliner - Swapping upper and lower level seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaseMeBro

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
First, apologies if there's been a thread on this before - seems like I've seen one, but searching came up dry.

Once in a while, when I ride the Surfliner, I'll take my mom along. The times she's been, she's had a great time. But, she's also on the older side, and has knee issues which are better some days than others.

I'll always take an upstairs seat - that's what she prefers, especially cause of the views. At the same time, there have been a few trips, on "bad knee" days, when navigating those stairs has been a real challenge.

How accomodating would staff be, do you think, if I we wanted to take lower level seats (2 seats, for the two of us) upon boarding?

Probably worth mentioning it would always be in business class, and I don't think I've ever see the lower level of those cars more than 1/2 full on our trips.

Last edited:
The business class seating is reserved seating without seat selection. Meaning when you buy a business class ticket your seat is garented but not a spot on the train. I expect when you ask the Conductor or business class attendant they will tell you it will be okay as long as you ask other riders if you can sit there if the riders are already in the spot where you want to sit.

The business class seating is reserved seating without seat selection. Meaning when you buy a business class ticket your seat is garented but not a spot on the train. I expect when you ask the Conductor or business class attendant they will tell you it will be okay as long as you ask other riders if you can sit there if the riders are already in the spot where you want to sit.
Right, but I frequently hear announcements reminding pax that downstairs seating is for disabled people only.

As my mom isn't disabled "on paper", I suppose it would be better to phrase my question: "Would it cause an issue to take lower level seats without documentation or prior arrangement?", and I've edited the wording of my original post to reflect that.

I have a mother who has severe arthritis in both her knees and she doesn't have ada documentation but they still let her and I sit in the lower-level. Also they are mostly running 2 business class cars on the surfliner and one of them is a superliner or a converted superliner, the bottom is open to everyone because there isn't a wheelchair area.

I have a mother who has severe arthritis in both her knees and she doesn't have ada documentation but they still let her and I sit in the lower-level. Also they are mostly running 2 business class cars on the surfliner and one of them is a superliner or a converted superliner, the bottom is open to everyone because there isn't a wheelchair area.
Excellent to know, especially the first part. Many thanks.

Back