Surviving Cars that have carried Presidents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Joe Biden
(Wilmington-????)
-AMTK 10000 Beach Grove 1990s (The original car originally owned by the Busch Family) it is now for sale on Ozark Mtn Railcar minus fluting.
Philadelphia-Washington
-Georgia 300 in 2009 with President Obama. Currently Located in Orange Park, FL
Cleveland-Johnstown
-AMTK American View in 2020 still in service

Barrack Obama (Harrisburg-Philadelphia, Philadelphia-Washington)
-Georgia 300 in 2008 and 2009 with Joe Biden in 2009. Located in Orange Park, FL

John Kerry (Kansas City-Albuquerque, NM)
-Georgia 300 in 2004. Located in Orange Park, FL
-Redwood Empire. EX Santa Fe 33. I'm not sure on the current location
-Scotish Thistle. Ex Canadian National at Lake Superior Railroad Museum Superior, WI
-Unidentified Vista dome Car. Probably what is now the Stampede Pass

George W Bush
-Union Pacific's Office Car Special. All cars still in service.

Elizabeth Dole New Hampshire
-Chiadee EX Boston & Maine. Unknown Location

Bill Clinton
Washington-Baltimore
-MARC 166 Coach EX Pennsylvania 21 Roomette Inn Series Car. At Cuyhoga Valley Scenic
-MARC Chester Inn EX Pennsylvania Railroad Sleeper. At Sam Shortline Cordelle, GA Plains Car
-MARC Greensburg Inn EX Pennsylvania Railroad Sleeper. At Cuyhoga Valley Scenic Cleveland, OH as Renner Percey Family
-Beaver Falls Inn EX Pennsylvania Railroad Sleeper. At Cuyhoga Valley Scenic Cleveland, OH as Siegfried Buerling
-Another Inn car that I'm sure is around still but I don't have record of it at the moment. MARC 150
-Amtrak 10001 Beach Grove. Still In Service

Washington-Chicago
-Georgia 300. Currently in Orange Park, FL

George H. W. Bush (UP cars in Council Bluffs, IA, CSX Cars in Jacksonville, FL)
-CSX Baltimore
-UP Selma in Service
-UP Walter Dean in Service
-UP City of Portland
-UP Challenger
-UP Overland
-CSX Indiana
-UP City of Los Angeles
-UP Sunshine Special
-UP Portland Rose
-UP Texas Eagle
-UP City of Salina
-C&NW Powder River. Now Super Dome with the Friends of 261 in St. Paul, MN
-CNW Cedar River I'll have to research what has happened to this one.
-St. Louis Car Company Cuivre River now with Kansas City Southern
UP 207
UP Cabarton now the Willie James originally Pacific Domain
-Sierra Hotel just sold to the Royal Gorge Scenic
-American Orient Express Paris now stored at Morristown & Erie RR Morristown, NJ
-American Orient Express Chicago now stored at the Grand Canyon RR Williams, AZ
-CSX West Virginia
-American Orient Express Zürich now at New Hope & Ivyland Railroad New Hope, PA
-American Orient Express Bay Point now with Union Pacific

Dan Quayle Charlotte-Greensboro
-Doris (Former Dupont Railcar) at the North Carolina Transportation Museum Spencer, NC
-Southern Vista (Ex Northern Pacific 314) Stored Conover, NC

Michael Dukakis
-Southern Pacific Sunset now with Union Pacific
-Amtrak 100000 Beech Grove Now for sale on Ozark Mtn Railcar

Ronald Reagan
-Ferdinand Magellan at Gold Coast Railroad Museum Miami, FL
-C&O 7 I'll have to research it but probably CSX now
-Seaboard System Virginia at CSX now

Gerald Ford
-Amtrak 100000 Beech Grove. Now for sale on Ozark Mtn Railcar

I'll start up with RFK tomorrow

Since Pres. Biden was in the Senate until 2009 and was commuting between Wilmington and Washington, he must have ridden every kind of coach the NEC could throw at him. When he was first elected to the Senate in 1972, they were still running heritage coaches behind GG-1s. By the time he left, the Acelas were in service. Was he a Metroliner/Acela rider or did he ride the Northeast Direct/Northeast Regional type trains?

The Superb was used as U.S. President Warren G. Harding's personal Pullman railroad car in a cross-country tour in 1923. After Harding's death, the car returned his body from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. Built in 1911, it is the second-oldest steel private car in existence. (Wikipedia)

I used to give informal tours of it to people while a volunteer at the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth (suburban Atlanta), GA. In the late '90s, well after its restoration, I was showing its kitchen to some visitors. One of them reached up above the cabinets and pulled out a few sheets of paper. They contained typewritten instructions on the water system and were written in 1928. They had been totally missed in the restoration. I turned them over to the museum management.

It has an early version of "air conditioning". Ice was stored in large steel containers welded to the undercarriage and air was blown past the ice and into the living space to provide cooling.

It is still on display and is on the National Register of Historic Places. We were thrilled to get that designation.

Since Pres. Biden was in the Senate until 2009 and was commuting between Wilmington and Washington, he must have ridden every kind of coach the NEC could throw at him. When he was first elected to the Senate in 1972, they were still running heritage coaches behind GG-1s. By the time he left, the Acelas were in service. Was he a Metroliner/Acela rider or did he ride the Northeast Direct/Northeast Regional type trains?

I was thinking that myself that chances are he's been in just about every Amfleet I and Acela set at least once.

Robert F Kennedy
Funeral Train
-Pennsylvania 120 currently owned by Bennet Levin in Philadelphia

Wyoming Campaign Train
-UP Arden Still In service
-UP Diner 4801 at the Colorado Railroad Museum

Lady Bird Johnson
-Pennsylvania Cabin Creek rumored to still be with us somewhere
-Pennsylvania Cascade Heights at the Railway Museum of Greater Cincinnati

John F Kennedy
Army Navy Game
-Pennsylvania 120 now owned by Bennet Levin in Philadelphia
-Pennsylvania Henry Knox now at the Grand Canyon Railroad No. 2096
-Pennsylvania Paul Revere now a private car located in Ohio

Michigan
-New York Central No. 10 now in Dallas, TX preparing to move to Cleveland, OH

Oregon
-Southern Pacific 99 now at the Filmore & Western Filmore, CA named Houston

Richard Nixon
-Chesapeake & Ohio 1903 now at the Potomac Eagle as Chessie Tavern

-Pennsylvania Colonial Crafts now owned by Bob Lowe at Philadelphia, PA
-Pennsylvania Peter Shoenberger now owned by CP Huntington RRHS as Braddock Inn

Adlai Stevenson
-New York Central No. 3 in private ownership
-Glen Pond now with the Louisiana Steam Train Association New Orleans
-Glen Alta now at the Illinois Railroad Museum Union, IL

I rode with him several times while he was a Senator on Heritage Cars, Metroliners and Acela FC and BC, but never saw him on an a Regional or the Night Owl, which Im sure he used sometimes.

Back