SW Chief Route scenery questions...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all!

I would appreciate and insight I can get regarding my SW Chief question.

Long story short, I know the CZ is the most popular route as far as scenery from what I understand, BUT, the SW Chief is my first choice as I do want to see it’s route scenery.

Our plan is to travel to Flagstaff and spend a day there and then head to Sedona for 3-4 days.

1) O.K., my question: By getting off in Flagstaff, would I have seen the majority of the highlights of deserts, mountains and red clay rock?

2) Also, would the train be in those areas in daylight?

Thanks for any responses and if it looks like it works, I’ll get back with additional questions that I can’t find the answers to.

Just an FYI, we would end in Phoenix and fly home.

TIA

Which way are you traveling? Others will have good answers, but my recollection from a couple of years ago is that the best scenery is between Raton, NM and Albuquerque. So, if you are heading West from Chicago, then, yes, you will have some pretty good views.

Well, you aren't saying where you are coming from.

If you are coming from somewhere east of Trinidad, CO, you will get all the good scenery by Flagstaff, Raton and Glorietta Passes and the red sandstone cliffs around Gallup. You aren't missing anything in daylight to west, as Flagstaff is after dark, save maybe Cajon Pass at dawn. Basically all you are missing is the run through the suburbs of LA.

If you are starting in or near Los Angeles you will miss all the good scenic parts.

Why not preview what's along the route by following it on Google Earth. Who knows - you may see something that's really interesting to you that nobody else has ever noticed. You can also tell which side of the train has that once-in-a-lifetime view so you don't miss it.

Somewhere there's a file of Amtrak Route Guides (one for each train) in which there's a lot of helpful information. Unfortunately, Amtrak quit publishing them some years ago.

Would be departing Chicago.

Which way are you traveling? Others will have good answers, but my recollection from a couple of years ago is that the best scenery is between Raton, NM and Albuquerque. So, if you are heading West from Chicago, then, yes, you will have some pretty good views.

I suggest you take a look at some trip reports on YouTube, they usually highlight the scenery.

For me, I find the SWC scenery pleasant, but not dramatic. Here are some highlights for me:
-Raton Pass (Between Trinidad and Raton)
-Apache Canyon (Just east of Lamy, technically part of Glorieta Pass I believe)
-Glorieta Pass (Lamy - Las Vegas)
-Red Sandstone Cliffs (Around Gallup, both directions)
-Cajon Pass (Victorville to San Bernadino, rarely done in daylight)

I believe Flagstaff has good scenery about the same as Glorieta Pass, but it's rarely done in daylight.

I suggest you take a look at some trip reports on YouTube, they usually highlight the scenery.

For me, I find the SWC scenery pleasant, but not dramatic. Here are some highlights for me:
-Raton Pass (Between Trinidad and Raton)
-Apache Canyon (Just east of Lamy, technically part of Glorieta Pass I believe)
-Glorieta Pass (Lamy - Las Vegas)
-Red Sandstone Cliffs (Around Gallup, both directions)
-Cajon Pass (Victorville to San Bernadino, rarely done in daylight)

I believe Flagstaff has good scenery about the same as Glorieta Pass, but it's rarely done in daylight.
Cal nails it!

Eric & Pat

Back