SW Chief Strikes Pedestrian near Lawrence, KS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
A pedestrian was struck by the Southwest Chief just west of Lawrence, KS this morning. Based on the comments from the Sheriff's Office, if sounds like he will be charged with Criminal Trespassing if he survives.

Regardless of the circumstances, please keep him and his family in your thoughts.

From the Lawrence Journal World...

Lawrence man hospitalized after being hit by train; injuries called life-threatening

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/aug/12/m...eing-hit-train/

A pedestrian was struck by the Southwest Chief just west of Lawrence, KS this morning. Based on the comments from the Sheriff's Office, if sounds like he will be charged with Criminal Trespassing if he survives.
Regardless of the circumstances, please keep him and his family in your thoughts.

Lawrence man hospitalized after being hit by train; injuries called life-threatening

Everytime I see this my first reaction is, "and just what was the pedestrian doing on the tracks to begin with." No sympathy...sorry. The train will always win.

I saw that. I was at work today or I would have put it up earlier. Right or wrong I don’t tend to feel bad for the individual who makes the poor decisions around tracks or trains. Group hit’s one has to feel something for the poor SOB’s along for the ride. Is a younger man I spent a lot of time hunting & fishing along a UP main line in KS. About 20-30 trains a day back then. I never found it a great challenge to keep out of the way of the train.

About the only time a train ever scared me was in the earlier 60’s at the Kelso hotel in Calf. Kelso had a all men’s RR hotel at the time. I understand it is NPS building now. Any way they had vacuum hazard lines painted a ways back from the track and some benches well back from that. We had been out on the Hi-line dunes with the buggy’s. Long story short when the train came through the ice cream was on the ground and I was behind the bench.

Everytime I see this my first reaction is, "and just what was the pedestrian doing on the tracks to begin with." No sympathy...sorry. The train will always win.
I would feel some sympathy for the train crew, especially if the fellow dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back