SW Chief to Disneyland Resort

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're planning a trip from Chicago to the Disneyland Hotel at the Disneyland Resort. We're looking to avoid renting a car to get us from the train to the hotel. We'll be bringing a fair bit of luggage for a total of three people. What's the best way to get from the SW Chief to the Disneyland Hotel? We can get off the SW Chief at Fullerton or Los Angeles and then take a Pacific Surfliner to Anaheim, if necessary.

jb

If the Fullerton connection works schedule wise I'd say it's the best. Otherwise, flyaway service from LAUS to LAX, shuttle to nearby car rental. Use the same on return. Otherwise, car rental hours never seem to fit.

I missed the fact you wanted to AVOID renting a car. Scratch my idea.

Last edited:
There is a free shuttle from Anaheim Amtrak station to Disneyland (free with your amtrak ticket) however it drops you off at Harbor Blvd. which is on the other side of the property from the Disneyland Hotel. (In addition to being on the opposite side, you would have to go through security with all your luggage.) . However if others are reading this, it's a great way to get to the Harbor Blvd. and Convention Center hotels. I've used it many times.

Fullerton to Disneyland Hotel is $11 for Uber $16 for Uber XL. That's gonna be your best bet.

You don't want to rent a car, you'd just pay for parking at the hotel for no reason.

Fullerton station is only 5 miles from Anaheim station. I'd just take uber from there instead of fooling around with changing trains for an 8 minute train ride.

An uber or taxi would just go straight down Harbor Blvd. from Fullerton station to the D'land area.

If your destination is Disneyland under no circumstances go to LAX (the airport) for any reason. You would be going miles and miles out of your way, to the other side of LA. LAX is 45 minutes from Disneyland with no traffic. And there is never "no traffic".

Last edited:
Fullerton station is only 5 miles from Anaheim station. I'd just take uber from there instead of fooling around with changing trains for an 8 minute train ride.

An uber or taxi would just go straight down Harbor Blvd. from Fullerton station to D'land.

Yes, and the Uber / taxi would be virtually the same price from Anaheim or Fullerton.

Yes, and the Uber / taxi would be virtually the same price from Anaheim or Fullerton.

In the years before Uber, I was able to get taxis from the Fullerton Amtrak station to the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel at very reasonable cost. One journey included me and my four children (and all of our luggage) using two cabs instead of
one. Worked fine.

In the years before Uber, I was able to get taxis from the Fullerton Amtrak station to the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel at very reasonable cost. One journey included me and my four children (and all of our luggage) using two cabs instead of
one. Worked fine.
Agree with this. We did it with two kids several times in the past. Taxi from Fullerton to Disney area hotels is about the same as Anaheim and doesn't require a change of trains, with moving luggage, etc. Fullerton is also a much nicer station IMHO.

I second just taking the Chief to Fullerton and taking a taxi or rideshare (at most $20 bucks), to the Disneyland Hotel. There's is zero reason to change trains and get yourself to the Artic Anaheim Intermodal station since it's only 2 miles closer to the Disneyland Hotel which is 5.4 miles from Fullerton Station and 3.3 miles from the Anaheim station.

If you were staying at an off-property hotel along Harbor Blvd across from the parks I would suggest just taking OCTA bus Route 43 or Bavo 543 (which makes limited stops along the same corridor), free with Amtrak tickets as a good option but the Harbor Blvd entrance to the resort complex is a good 15 minute, 3/4 mile walk from the Disenyland hotel since it's on the opposite side of the property and would also require going through Disneyland security (which hand searches all bags) with all of your luggage. We've taken OCTA buses with our suitcases before to and from train stations and it hasn't been a problem.

We go to Disneyland (generally by plane) form my home a lot and we never rent a car. If were flying into LAX my trick is to take the Green Line from the Airport to Norwalk and get an uber to the parks.

We go to Disneyland (generally by plane) form my home a lot and we never rent a car. If were flying into LAX my trick is to take the Green Line from the Airport to Norwalk and get an uber to the parks.

Oh I've never tried that one... when I fly I've even taken the Disneyland express bus or Uber. I'm not sure why families take the bus, it's $30 per person and Uber is $50 LAX to Disneyland area. When I'm solo it saves $20 which is nice but for groups it doesn't make sense unless you don't like rideshare.

The Disneyland Express was actually just discontinued on January 7, 2020 https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201912/7173/ The main families it catered to would be those with little kids that would require car seats for a taxi or rideshare, which I know exist but can be complicated to find.

The uber's from the Green Line is about $25 to $30 plus $1.75 per person Metro fare. In theory you can also take Metro Bus route 460 from Norwalk to the parks but the bus ride is nearly an hour and a half.

Note, I haven't done this in the past month since AB5 went into effect that is changing the ride share industry in California.

The Disneyland Express was actually just discontinued on January 7, 2020 https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201912/7173/ The main families it catered to would be those with little kids that would require car seats for a taxi or rideshare, which I know exist but can be complicated to find.

The uber's from the Green Line is about $25 to $30 plus $1.75 per person Metro fare. In theory you can also take Metro Bus route 460 from Norwalk to the parks but the bus ride is nearly an hour and a half.

Note, I haven't done this in the past month since AB5 went into effect that is changing the ride share industry in California.

Oh interesting. I used it a couple times. My flight was delayed enough once that I had to use Uber and after that I was spoiled... $20 extra to go exactly where I want, when I want seemed like a good deal.

Of course I much prefer arriving by train, but sometimes I don't have the extra time needed :(

As for someone arriving at LAUS via the SL, what’s the best option for getting to the Grand Californian? My daughter & 1-1/2 (at time of travel) grandchild will be traveling with me.
And for my daughter, grandchild & maybe SIL, what’s the best for them to get to the airport? I’ll be taking the PacSurf to the Gathering. My daughter is considering renting a car at LAUS and returning it to LAX.

As for someone arriving at LAUS via the SL, what’s the best option for getting to the Grand Californian? My daughter & 1-1/2 (at time of travel) grandchild will be traveling with me.
And for my daughter, grandchild & maybe SIL, what’s the best for them to get to the airport? I’ll be taking the PacSurf to the Gathering. My daughter is considering renting a car at LAUS and returning it to LAX.

I would recommend taking the surfliner from LAUS to Fullerton or Anaheim (I personally use the Anaheim station, but they are both similar distance and similar Uber / Taxi fare). From either station take an Uber or Taxi.

For a return to LAX, I recommend taking Uber.. my last trip from Disneyland to LAX was $50. You could take the surfliner to LAUS and take the flyaway bus to LAX.

Renting a car really doesn't make sense, in addition to the rental itself, you'll pay a daily parking fee at the hotel.

Back