SW Chief (Train 3) busing due to flooding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierboy

OBS Chief
On a sleeper on the SW Chief (train 3) that is about an hour out of Chicago and they say flooding is forcing us off the train at KC after 10 pm arrival and onto busses. Busing us somewhere (SCA didn’t know how far) and then we’ll board an identical consist for the rest of the trip to LA. Any other info is welcome.

Last edited:
On a sleeper on the SW Chief (train 3) that is about an hour out of Chicago and they say flooding is forcing us off the train at KC after 10 pm arrival and onto busses. Busing us somewhere (SCA didn’t know how far) and then we’ll board an identical consist for the rest of the trip to LA. Any other info is welcome.

Amtrak tweet says the other end of the bus bridge will be Hutchinson, Kansas.

w6OVeuo.png

Wonderful. I am due on the Chief CHI to LAX on Sunday. Crossing my fingers. But the forecast is not encouraging for a major letup.

Could be a lot worse. In 1995, due to flooding on the Missouri River, Amtrak annulled my trip on #4 in Albuquerque. But Amtrak then paid all costs to fly me, and my four kids, home to Minneapolis, and their accompanying friend enroute in Denver, where we dropped off the friend to be met by his uncle.

Where is the flooding exactly? Would detouring trains over the Emporia Subdivision on the Southern Transcon be possible or is that route blocked too?

For what it is worth, 3 (21) appears to be moving again, an hour and a half behind schedule at Garden City. I will be boarding it at ABQ unless it drops a bunch more time.

ainamkartma

We have a question regarding #3 SWC sleeping car passengers that end up being bused from Kansas City westward due to flooding or some other service disruption. What sort of a refund, if any, do these passengers receive for having to spend the night on a bus rather than in their bedroom? Do they have to request the refund or is it given automatically?

Eric & Pat

We have a question regarding #3 SWC sleeping car passengers that end up being bused from Kansas City westward due to flooding or some other service disruption. What sort of a refund, if any, do these passengers receive for having to spend the night on a bus rather than in their bedroom? Do they have to request the refund or is it given automatically?

Eric & Pat
You'll need to call Customer Relations ( NOT Amtrak Customer Service) @ 800-USA-RAIL, when Julie answers, ask for Agent, when you get a Regular Amtrak Agent ask for Customer Relations and give them your info to request a Good Will Voucher( not a Refund since Amtrak got you there)) good for One Year for Future Travel.

They are usually very good about this, if for some reason you get a bad agent ask for a Supervisor to assist you.

Back