SW Chief vs Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalman

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am traveling from Portland Oregon to Chicago in April 2021 via Coast Starlight/Los Angeles and connecting ( hopefully 45 min layover) with Texas Eagle to Chicago in a roomette. Any comments/ suggestions about Texas Eagle? Do they not have a dining car from S Antonio to Chicago? Is there no observation car from San Ant. top Chi?
If Coast Starlight is delayed ( I have insurance) will Amtrak put me up for a night or do I have to claim through insurance? I was looking at Southwest chief but wanted a continuous through trip. Is SW chief a much better way to get to Chicago from LA? Thank you in advance for your comments.

If a substantial delay occurs north of Sacramento or can be expected south of Sacramento they've been known to rebook people via the San Joaquin Valley line. There are some other tricks with charter buses that they may do.

Based on frequent comments here there is no Sightseer Lounge (SSL) on the Texas Eagle for the San Antonio>Chicago segment and full dining car service has not been restored to it as of yet. If your main objective is to go from LAX to CHI the Southwest Chief is better in every way except for requiring going through the San Joaquin Valley if you want to link up with Train 4, the SWC eastbound, without an overnight layover in L.A.

As a racetrack tout once tipped Jack Benny, "take the Chief. It's a sleeper!" Psst! By morning someone will add comments or corrections that may help.

If you do decide to go via the Valley Line, the bus connections in the trip are well-coordinated with the trains.

P1040475.JPG

Last edited:
The Chief is much better. As to scenery, I have been on both the Chief and the SL (to which the Eagle gets attached 3X/week and which follows the same route through the prettiest country - west of San Antonio). There is no doubt in my mind that the Chief is better.

As to the current state of amenities
Chief has real dining through whole route; Eagle does not
Chief has an SSL though whole route; Eagle does not

Longer is better,as long as the price remains the same. That's always why I would take the Sunset/Eagle from Chi to LA or reverse. Only downside is no sightseer and continued flex dining from Chi to SAS. The Chief does have better scenery,but I do enjoy more train time.

I did find a low bucket on 422 for January,and I grabbed it.

Back