SW Chief Williams-LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
I have a question regarding the meal service for sleeper guests. When boarding the SW Chief in Williams (jct.) on the way to Los Angeles is there still dinner available for these boarding guests? And what about breakfast prior to arrival in LAX, as the scheduled arrival is quite early at 8:15.

I have a question regarding the meal service for sleeper guests. When boarding the SW Chief in Williams (jct.) on the way to Los Angeles is there still dinner available for these boarding guests? And what about breakfast prior to arrival in LAX, as the scheduled arrival is quite early at 8:15.
It would seem to be too late for dinner in the dining car when you get on in Williams, however most long distance trains begin breakfast service at 6:30 am, so it would seem that is going to be OK - although they may serve an abbreviated breakfast.

It would seem to be too late for dinner in the dining car when you get on in Williams, however most long distance trains begin breakfast service at 6:30 am, so it would seem that is going to be OK - although they may serve an abbreviated breakfast.
It seems that all early arriving LD trains serve their last meal early,we had breakfast on the SL into LAX @ Palm Springs and the Eagle serves dinner going into AUS @ 4:30PM,one serving only,the crews have to clean up and do their paperwork(they have ALOT in the diner!)before deboarding!Leave an early wake-up call with your SCA!Have a good ride! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Diner will be closed at 10:33PM, Meals are usually available if you board before 8:30 PM.

Breakfast will be available, although they might only serve it from 5:30AM to 7AM or so.

I agree with the above, having made this trip from Williams. May I suggest dinner at Rod's Stek House or the Red raven in downtown Williams.

Diner will be closed at 10:33PM, Meals are usually available if you board before 8:30 PM.Breakfast will be available, although they might only serve it from 5:30AM to 7AM or so.
So, no dinner service if you board at Flagstaff ( 8:57pm)? Just curious. Has anyone ever had dinner after boarding at Flag?

Ed

an additional question: any good advice how to get from Amtrak LAX station to LAX airport? ( without renting a car)

fly away bus service

Convenient Non-Stop Bus Service to LAX

1-866-iFLYLAX (1-866-435-9529)

Diner will be closed at 10:33PM, Meals are usually available if you board before 8:30 PM.Breakfast will be available, although they might only serve it from 5:30AM to 7AM or so.
So, no dinner service if you board at Flagstaff ( 8:57pm)? Just curious. Has anyone ever had dinner after boarding at Flag?

Ed
I haven't boarded westbound at FLG, but (???) I do wonder why you would have to board by 8:30pm to receive dinner when the diner closes at 10:33pm! It would not make sense that you couldn't get dinner (under normal circumstances) if you board at 8:57pm. Perhaps Sam could explain? :huh:

I think he means it will be closed at a boarding time of 10:33pm, not that it closes at 10:33pm. It closes much earlier.
From what I've heard so far on this forum dinner service will be closed at ultimately 8.30 pm, but the dinner car stays open a lot longer.

Ruud

Just checking Amtrakdelays SWC has constantly negative delays on arrival in LAX, always almost one hour early ! Are you being kicked out even before the scheduled arrival?? :huh:

I think he means it will be closed at a boarding time of 10:33pm, not that it closes at 10:33pm. It closes much earlier.
Right.

Last seating for dinner is 8:30 pm, the diner closes usually at 9pm and reopens at 6:30am.

Are you being kicked out even before the scheduled arrival??
Yes.

Right.

Last seating for dinner is 8:30 pm, the diner closes usually at 9pm and reopens at 6:30am.

Are you being kicked out even before the scheduled arrival??
Yes.
Actually under the official SDS guidelines the last two seatings are 8:45 PM and 9:00 PM. That's not to say that some crews may shut down early, especially if they were able to accomodate everyone at earlier seatings.

And yes, if the train is early into LA you are kicked off the train early.

If I remember correctly, breakfast is served from 5:00am to 6:00am. Just one sitting.

Actually under the official SDS guidelines the last two seatings are 8:45 PM and 9:00 PM.
This summer I traveled all Amtrak LD Trains except for the Silver Star, the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal. ( :D :D :D )

In reality there is no such thing as a 8:45 or a 9 PM seating.

Actually under the official SDS guidelines the last two seatings are 8:45 PM and 9:00 PM.
This summer I traveled all Amtrak LD Trains except for the Silver Star, the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal. ( :D :D :D )

You must have had old diner staff that wanted to get their rest in! :lol: Ive been on trains that seated up to 9PM,the Empire Builder did it on my last trip ,

the diner was having AC problems and the train was extremely crowded,this was both nights!Alan is usually correct,Ill be SHOCKED!SHOCKED! if hes incorrect! :eek:

Seriously? All of them except those three? AutoTrain too. I'm def impressed!

Ive been on trains that seated up to 9PM,the Empire Builder did it on my last trip ,
I've occasionally boarded the eastbound Empire Builder in Minot after 9 p.m., and heard a call for dinner. This could have been from a crowded train, slow table turnover, or the change from Mountain to Central time.

On my recent trips, I don't think I heard a later dinner reservation time than 8:30! Of course if they're running behind, it may be later.

I took the SWC in March and they had diner problems and did not start until VERY late! I had a 5 PM seating and was not called until 6:30 PM. I think by the time they got to the later seatings, the 8 PM was called around 10 PM or so! :eek:

On my recent trips, I don't think I heard a later dinner reservation time than 8:30! Of course if they're running behind, it may be later.
I took the SWC in March and they had diner problems and did not start until VERY late! I had a 5 PM seating and was not called until 6:30 PM. I think by the time they got to the later seatings, the 8 PM was called around 10 PM or so! :eek:
Yeah,but you have connections and get special treatment,they have permanent reservations in the diner for you on every train!Im not gonna argue policy with Alan ever,might disagree about ideas and suggestions but thats what this forum is for! Im impressed too,must be rich,have a generous boss or have a zillion AGR points!Im envious!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back