SWC #3 chi-LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entered union station and saw that he great hall was empty. It’s a cool fall day outside and cool in the great hall. I found the automatic ticket machine and printed my ticket before entering the lounge. I thought about getting ticket printed there but saw one of the can’t do employees manning the door and the desk empty. Thus the extra step to print the ticket.

He was assisting an older female lady who was cheerfully flirting with him stating she would “take him back to LA.” She mentioned Richard Pryor and I mentioned Silverstreak. So am I Gene Wilder? I don’t have a bedroom so no broken latch. And a quick look around the lounge does not reveal Jill Clayberg.

The lounge is crowded and warm compared to the great hall. The main perk is large TVs playing an SEC college football game. Hopefully with the boarding of 21,5, and 7/27 before my train, I’ll be able snag a seat near a tv.

The red cap came about 2:25 and I got a ride down to the train. I was the only redcap passenger for the 330 car. I’m on room 8 on the left side. So bedrooms are in front of me and the diner is right behind me. I observed 3 coaches and the lounge and diner. The last coach was a coach baggage.

The 330 car is a superliner 1 car with the newer touch buttons for lights and calling the attendant. Window is immaculately clean. The room is typically clean. Better than ones I had on the empire builder in August. The AC is working perfectly. I’m on a train. I’m happy.

Well I’ll be saving money on tips this trip. I told the sca that I wanted to eat in the diners 6. The LSA came back and took my order. Did not give me a choice. I went up to the diner at 6:15. He told me he would bring my food to me in my room and then I could carry back to the diner. I told him this was ridiculous. He sat there eat his salad and ignored me.

Thinking I might just eat in the lounge car because I’m so pissed.

Well I’ll be saving money on tips this trip. I told the sca that I wanted to eat in the diners 6. The LSA came back and took my order. Did not give me a choice. I went up to the diner at 6:15. He told me he would bring my food to me in my room and then I could carry back to the diner. I told him this was ridiculous. He sat there eat his salad and ignored me.

The policy is that there is no waiter service in the diner. I made a fool out of myself complaining that EVERY train i rode this summer had diner service. This was wrong. It was only my trip on the empire builder. The crews on 50 and 29 did the same as this crew. Once I cooled off I remembered this and went and apologized to both crew members.

Boy do I feel stupid.

During my Karen moment we sat east of fort Madison waiting for the draw bridge to open.

Now on the move.

Attachments

• A6359133-FD3D-4B96-928F-9A291C92CE11.jpeg
    A6359133-FD3D-4B96-928F-9A291C92CE11.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5

The policy is that there is no waiter service in the diner. I made a fool out of myself complaining that EVERY train i rode this summer had diner service. This was wrong. It was only my trip on the empire builder. The crews on 50 and 29 did the same as this crew. Once I cooled it f I remembered this and went and apologized to both crew m

I was hoping to see you on the Gathering last night, Steve. In reading this, I see that about the time it started you were busy. I probably would have reacted the same way you did at Amtrak's asinine procedures these days.

There was no signal west of Fort Madison. So I was unable to even make phone calls.

I was totally wrong. There was only one person in the diner plus the cook and one sca. When I was upset I didn’t realize how severe the staff cutbacks were in the diner.

After my apologies which were sincere and very humble the sca really showed concern for my happiness. He served me in the diner. Others were allowed to eat there too. They brought their food with them.

I woke up at 6:30 am as we are creeping along at 25 mph east of garden city. Not sure why the slow running. I’m assuming track conditions of signal problems.

I napped for quite a bit between Lajunta and Trinidad. Just outside of Trinidad we sat for 20 minutes or so north of the station near the yard. Turned on scanner and heard us get permission to move 5 cars. Saw a couple of guys in orange vests inspecting the train. We have now pulled into the station.

DoorDash to the rescue. Food being picked up down. Chicken wings and garlic cheese bread.

The lounge car is out of everything almost. So bad the guy made an announcement for passengers to get food at a store across from the train station.

Back