SWC #3 chi-LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I successfully got on an earlier flight back to Chicago. I was originally booked on a 5:20 pm nonstop from lax to midway on Southwest. One advantage to southwest is that it is easier to switch flights on the same day. Getting home 5 hours earlier than planned was worth the extra money.

Today I received a survey about this trip. The overall score I gave was a 3 out of 10. I told them that the good choices in the dining car were one reason. The lounge car running out of food by Albuquerque is another. I praised the sca and the people in the diner.

The cook was pleasant. She told me she missed having people sitting at the tables enjoying food.

DoorDash to the rescue. Food being picked up down. Chicken wings and garlic cheese bread.

The lounge car is out of everything almost. So bad the guy made an announcement for passengers to get food at a store across from the train station.
I should be hopping on train #4 at Fullerton on March 27th (saturday). The day after I arrive into Chicago we intend to hop onto the Eagle back to LA. I don't feel like eating the flex meals for the whole time. Do you think I will have time to order something in the 28 minutes we are in ABQ? If so, what do you suggest?

See what’s available on DoorDash. You want to put your order in so that it arrives at the station when the train arrives. Don’t wait until you arrive. So you should be making your door dash order 45 minutes out.

See what’s available on DoorDash. You want to put your order in so that it arrives at the station when the train arrives. Don’t wait until you arrive. So you should be making your door dash order 45 minutes out.
Okay, any suggestions?

Tucanos Brazilian Grill is close to the Amtrak station in Albuquerque. They are currently closed, but our county just went from red to yellow in terms of Covid19 (amazingly to me), so restaurants will now be able to have indoor eating up to I forget what capacity. I suppose you could order to go (not sure, never tried, trying to be a vegetarian and Tucanos is heavily meat-oriented). I thought I would mention that restaurant as it's close to the train station and somewhat unique. There are other restaurants close to the station that you could potentially also order a to-go thing from.

There is also some kind of grocery store near the station. I have never seen or used it, but others on here have mentioned it.

I have also eaten at and enjoyed (pre-Covid19) the Artichoke Cafe, Range Cafe, and The Grove which are sort of close by also, but other restaurants are closer. There used to be a very nice Thai restaurant near the station, but it's not showing up on the maps anymore, so I guess it's gone.

W
I have also eaten at and enjoyed (pre-Covid19) the Artichoke Cafe, Range Cafe, and The Grove which are sort of close by also, but other restaurants are closer. There used to be a very nice Thai restaurant near the station, but it's not showing up on the maps anymore, so I guess it's gone.
We intend to order 20-40 minutes out via Door dash (or something like that) so it can be waiting for us when we arrive.

Tucanos Brazilian Grill is close to the Amtrak station in Albuquerque. They are currently closed, but our county just went from red to yellow in terms of Covid19 (amazingly to me), so restaurants will now be able to have indoor eating up to I forget what capacity. I suppose you could order to go (not sure, never tried, trying to be a vegetarian and Tucanos is heavily meat-oriented). I thought I would mention that restaurant as it's close to the train station and somewhat unique. There are other restaurants close to the station that you could potentially also order a to-go thing from.

There is also some kind of grocery store near the station. I have never seen or used it, but others on here have mentioned it.
Tucanos made a good impression on four of us who were snowed in from Train 4 when it was routed via the Texas line. Amtrak tried to keep people from boarding for Raton line stations, but they missed the few and hoteled us in ABQ.

It was New Year's Eve and so we decided to celebrate. A waitress at Tucano's told us what their closing time would be. We came back and discovered that they were closing earlier due to the storm. When the manager realized what had happened he arranged for one waitress to stay for us and we had wonderful dinners. I think that one choice was vegetarian.

Tucanos Brazilian Grill is close to the Amtrak station in Albuquerque. They are currently closed, but our county just went from red to yellow in terms of Covid19 (amazingly to me), so restaurants will now be able to have indoor eating up to I forget what capacity.

25% indoor and 75% outdoor

I received an email about it today; I’m signed up for ABQ travel updates. :)

Tucanos made a good impression on four of us who were snowed in from Train 4 when it was routed via the Texas line. Amtrak tried to keep people from boarding for Raton line stations, but they missed the few and hoteled us in ABQ.
I'd love to know more about this re-route. I've never heard of the Chief being re-routed into Texas...

Back