SWC ABQ going west if late need hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

Train Attendant
Hopefully coming from East going West Train will arrive close to on time in Albuquerque, NM as have rental car reservation --- if not will need a hotel either nearby or within low cost taxi ride. Rental Car office is about a mile from the train station. Any low cost (safe area) hotels that fit that? Thanks.

If you want close, you can't beat the Andaluz. If you want cheap, the airport Motel 6 is a less than 5 minute drive. There is also a Day's Inn 6 blocks east on Central, and a Knights in 2 blocks further that are both walking distance and cheap.

Edit: P.S. In regards to the hotels being in a safe area, I, as a physically fit young man, have never felt unsafe downtown, but during our current mayoral campaign they've gone on and on about how unsafe it is, so it occurred to me you might feel unsafe even in the blocks around the station, in which case you should know that any branch of a hotel with airport or university in its name is within 5 minutes by cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
In years past, Albuquerque has been considered specifically unsafe for women walking alone at night. YMMV, but I'd recommend caution.

The Parq Central hotel is fairly near Amtrak, and a unique experience--it's a former mental hospital, now a very comfortable boutique hotel. And the Standard Diner (nearby, roughly midway between Parq Central and Andaluz) has good food and drink, and offers a comfortable welcome to all sorts--women alone, elders, and children included.

I stayed at the Parq Central in 2012. I recall that it was also the Santa Fe Railroad hospital for employees. It is an upscale place.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Hopefully coming from East going West Train will arrive close to on time in Albuquerque, NM as have rental car reservation --- if not will need a hotel either nearby or within low cost taxi ride. Rental Car office is about a mile from the train station. Any low cost (safe area) hotels that fit that? Thanks.
You didn't say which car rental office you are using, If you rent at the airport, it's only a 10 minute drive from the Amtrak station, and the rental agencies seem to be open from 5 AM to 1 AM. I doubt the SWC will be so late that it's going to arrive after midnight, although with Amtrak, anything is possible. (I think the scheduled arrival is something like 4:30 PM.) That would eliminate the need to find a hotel immediately near the train station, though I could understand that if you come in after dark, you might not be real keen on driving around metro Albuquerque in the dark.

The Parq Central and Andaluz hotels look like some real old fashioned gems.

hpc-ext-011.jpg

home-slider-LOBBY.jpg

You didn't say which car rental office you are using, If you rent at the airport, it's only a 10 minute drive from the Amtrak station, and the rental agencies seem to be open from 5 AM to 1 AM. I doubt the SWC will be so late that it's going to arrive after midnight, although with Amtrak, anything is possible. (I think the scheduled arrival is something like 4:30 PM.) That would eliminate the need to find a hotel immediately near the train station, though I could understand that if you come in after dark, you might not be real keen on driving around metro Albuquerque in the dark.
But airport location rates/fees are significantly higher than other locations if Hertz is any representation. I use the Hertz location off the Montano RailRunner station and they pick me up and drop me off. Generally, one does not need a car in ABQ as bus service is very good and RailRunner provides transportation to Santa Fe so we just rent the car for out-of-town travel.

Back