SWC and TE trip in bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Hi, so as some of you might know, I'm going on the Chief and Eagle within the coming weeks. This will be my first time in the bedroom, first time on the CHI-FTW section of the eagle, and first time on the chief in a long time. I have a few questions!

What should I expect with the bedroom (we don't have bedroom A)? Travelling with one other person

Next up, scenery. For some sections, which side is the better side? Where are the best highlights I should be aware of?

Long fresh air stops: So, I don't want to have to eat traditional dining the full way. What stops are long enough for us to get something to eat, or have something delivered? Is the burrito lady still operating at El Paso? What app is the best to get for delivery (never used one before)?

Chicago lounge: Haven't ever been to it, I've seen some threads on it but I haven't seen any specifics. Has anyone seen if the shower is open, or if anything has changed recently?

And lastly, I'm not up for meet and greets, but if someone can come photograph my train, that'd be cool. I like trying to find pictures of the trains I'm on. Dates are in the March/April 2021 thread.

General tips for the bedroom. I've never travelled in one myself before, what are some things I should know beforehand?

Since you are traveling with another person and if either of you use the shower, it would be appreciated by the next person using the facility (but not the shower) for you to dry its interior as well as you can.

Some like sitting in the chair; some don't. Taking turns to using this seat as well as the sofa seat next to the window is a considerate thing to do.

When the beds are made up, the ladder to the upper berth reduces floor space a small amount and one needs to be careful at night (if you are in the lower berth) not to stumble over the legs of the ladder when it is dark.

Others may have some suggestions and I will return to this thread if I think of anything else. Since you said you are not in Bedroom A, which one have you booked?

Others may have some suggestions and I will return to this thread if I think of anything else. Since you said you are not in Bedroom A, which one have you booked?
We're in the ones toward the middle of the bedrooms

The shower/toilet is like a lot of older RVs - the shower is right over it so the toilet gets wet - not great for the second person if they use it right away.
Some ideas:
Go down to the shower room and grab some more towels so you can put a dry one on the floor after finishing your shower - or just use the community one downstairs (on superliners) or down the hall instead. We've done that as it is bigger then the room one and that avoids the wetness issue.

The TP, if the plastic cover is not sealed, will get soaked. Either remove it while showering, cover it, or seal it with some tape you bring.

There is a 50-50 chance the bench seat will be facing backwards and that limits your view as you can't see good scenery coming. If you have one of those, share the other chair. If you face forward, then fold up the chair and sit side-by-side on the bench. If you've been married for 49 years as I have, then you snuggle real close and both get a good view. Or you can go to the lounge car if there is room. You will be amazed what you can pile on folded chair which gives you more room to move around.

The upper bunkee should have shoes or slippers in the bunk because coming down or going up those stairs is no fun on he feet.

Remember, on superliners, the upper bunk is like a coffin in that if you sit up, that will mean instant concussion and/or pain and/or more sleep (knocked unconscious).

The room is small once the bottom bench is made into a bed so using the sink is a tight squeeze. Brush your teeth before the SCA puts it down. Similarly, in the AM, as soon as the bottom bunkee wakes up, they should try to put it back as a bench even though there is no room for the bedding (it was stored on the upper bunk). This way , it's easier to move around and get dressed - and get to the sink.

Don't store anything on the floor at night unless it's under the bottom bunk. You don't want to trip on your shoes.

I found that having a ziploc bag is great for wallet, watch, phone, hearing aids, coins, kitchen sinks, etc. when using the top bunk. Easy to find things when you need them and they don't fall into all the nooks and crannies in the corner. Bring a small flashlight. Helps you find the nightlight switch.

I put my mocs vertically sticking up between matress and wall at foot of bed. Easier to find in the dark. also, I crawl into bed from ladder so feet are by ladder and then back down feet first to ladder so I don't have to turn around in dark (see "sitting up" above for consequences).

Don't forget 3-plug light duty extension cord for charging everything simultaneously.

Thanks!

I intend to just use the communal shower, much more room.

I know two of the plugs is by the sink, where is the other one? On the seat, same as the roomette?

I know two of the plugs is by the sink, where is the other one? On the seat, same as the roomette?

Yes, there's one near the window like in the roomette. We use USB power strip so we can plug multi usb cords into the strip for charging.

That's a great suggestion. I have not thought of that, but have often tried to figure out where whatever I am looking for is.
It is great when flying. while on the TSA line, you fill the bag with all the stuff in your pockets and dump it in the tub they provide to snd it through the X-Ray. When you get through, instead of digging around for all the small items, you just pick up the bag and move to a nearby chair to stuff it all back in your pockets. Been doing that for years - just as I've been doing it in the sleepers for years.

Regarding scenery, on the Chief, the highlights to me are the Raton pass, between Trinidad and Raton, and the Glorieta pass, between Las Vegas and Lamy. It's not as dramatic as the scenery on the Zephyr or on the EB through Glacier Park, but it's great mountain railroading and wonderful, rugged terrain. Not sure which direction you're taking it, but if it's basically on time it's likely to arrive early into Albuquerque, allowing for a stop that's plenty long enough to explore the city and procure food. I have seen the Chief arrive early into Kansas City and La Junta too, but it might be risky to wander too far at either of those.

Regarding scenery, on the Chief, the highlights to me are the Raton pass, between Trinidad and Raton, and the Glorieta pass, between Las Vegas and Lamy. It's not as dramatic as the scenery on the Zephyr or on the EB through Glacier Park, but it's great mountain railroading and wonderful, rugged terrain. Not sure which direction you're taking it, but if it's basically on time it's likely to arrive early into Albuquerque, allowing for a stop that's plenty long enough to explore the city and procure food. I have seen the Chief arrive early into Kansas City and La Junta too, but it might be risky to wander too far at either of those.
Taking train 4, any side best for scenery on the Chief btw?

Taking train 4, any side best for scenery on the Chief btw?

The line snakes around, so there's some good views either way, but if I had to choose one side headed east, I'd take the left (north) side out of Lamy and the right side through the Raton pass.

The line snakes around, so there's some good views either way, but if I had to choose one side headed east, I'd take the left (north) side out of Lamy and the right side through the Raton pass.
Thanks!

This is through the back window of No. 3 at milepost 650 (from Kansas City), approaching the top of the Raton grade, with the snow-capped Rockies visible in the distance:

ATSF Raton pass MP650 Feb2017A IMG 9.jpg

My wife and I usually travel with 2 suitcases (equivalent to a carry-on size on a plane), 1 hanging bag, and a small over-the-shoulder bag. She figured out that you can store a carry-on suitcase under the chair if you raise the bottom cushion a bit and slide it under. The other bag will fit on the rack over the chair. The hanging bag goes in the small hanging closet. The over-the-shoulder bag sits on the floor next to the chair or wherever you choose.
If you forget tape, you can always use a washcloth (provided) to quiet the door which connects the bedroom next door, and elsewhere. Cardboard (a sleeve from the coffee bar provided on the car) also works well. We can always tell if the previous occupant was a seasoned traveler because the rattles have already been quieted with various objects.
I almost always use the community shower because as has been stated, more room, no need to wipe down after use, and no wet carpet in your bedroom.

Railspike "hit the nail on the head (pun intended)". Instead of the hanging bag, we use another small soft-sided bag. As to the noise, I have found the Amtrak magazine also works great as it can be folded as much as one wants (because if you need a fold-and-a-half, you just use some of the pages). You put it in the door halfway up (maximum door flexibility there) then jam it up or down and it will tighten more and more as you get to bottom or top unless its just a matter of door alignment. In that case, you find the widest part, jam it there then push/pull up or down as needed to tighten it.
On my next trip, we'll take gaffers tape and roll some onto a pencil or dowel for what we need, then use that because it is easily removed and put back on the pencil.

My wife and I usually travel with 2 suitcases (equivalent to a carry-on size on a plane), 1 hanging bag, and a small over-the-shoulder bag. She figured out that you can store a carry-on suitcase under the chair if you raise the bottom cushion a bit and slide it under. The other bag will fit on the rack over the chair. The hanging bag goes in the small hanging closet. The over-the-shoulder bag sits on the floor next to the chair or wherever you choose.
If you forget tape, you can always use a washcloth (provided) to quiet the door which connects the bedroom next door, and elsewhere. Cardboard (a sleeve from the coffee bar provided on the car) also works well. We can always tell if the previous occupant was a seasoned traveler because the rattles have already been quieted with various objects.
I almost always use the community shower because as has been stated, more room, no need to wipe down after use, and no wet carpet in your bedroom.
You should wipe down the Community Shower after use and put your used towels in the bag provided. It's called Common Courtesy!

I woke up at 6 am as the sun was rising over Arizona. We were a few minutes behind (had a long stop in flagstaff for whatever reason). Currently a few miles outside of Gallup and stopped, not sure why. Last nights conductor was good at updating us, but I haven’t heard anything so far

Back