SWC set out coach KCY to CHI? Crazy demand

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a chance to take the SWC back from work next week in Kansas City. It’s sold out in coach almost every single day the next two weeks. I can understand Fridays and Sundays but there’s only seats on 2 days in the next two weeks. Is there still no coach added in KC for Chicago? I know from taking it to Fullerton a couple times a year, no coach added in KC means seats are held back the entire route to accommodate KC to CHI passengers. We saw that on our “sold out” trip over the last Christmas, the train was half empty.. I’m not about to pay 600 for a half a day in a roomette:(

Seeing all these sold out days really puts it in perspective what Amtraks missing out on. Attached are M-W 23-25 Sold out…

Attachments

• 5CF871F5-A649-49C9-BFB1-4EFD0619F453.jpeg
    5CF871F5-A649-49C9-BFB1-4EFD0619F453.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 7D3F226A-B63A-4C7F-BC5D-8D75D28A8D15.jpeg
    7D3F226A-B63A-4C7F-BC5D-8D75D28A8D15.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 36BA2F3A-5AC0-4C4B-92DB-BF7E3222D0C8.jpeg
    36BA2F3A-5AC0-4C4B-92DB-BF7E3222D0C8.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4
There used to be set out coaches on the SWC at Kansas City, on the EB at Minneapolis and on the Texas Eagle at St. Louis. Makes a lot of sense, surprised they don't do it on more routes like the LSL and CL.

When the train gets to KC it is switched out of the consist and left there after passengers that get off there leave the coach. When the esst bound train comes in the next morning it is added to the consist for boarding.

When the train gets to KC it is switched out of the consist and left there after passengers that get off there leave the coach. When the esst bound train comes in the next morning it is added to the consist for boarding.
Or "set out" to be added to the train when it reaches the station, or "cut out" of the train when it reaches the station.

Last edited:
Until the early 1960s or so, setout/pickup cars were common. Mostly, it was sleeping cars based on articles I've read. Through sleepers were interchanged at Chicago between eastern and western trains (and stations!) as well until sometime in the 1950s.

In the 1950s, living in Milwaukee, about once per month, my fathers' job required him to spend a day or two in Minneapolis/St Paul. He would usually board a setout sleeper either on the Milwaukee Road or Chicago & North Western at the depot. I'd ride with my mom to drop him off about 8 PM and pick him up on the return morning about 7. I never got to ride one of those setout sleepers. But I did ride sleepers with him out of Chicago throughout the midwest. That's what got me hooked on trains.

I personally experienced setout sleepers in the the Amtrak days when the Amtrak Crescent would leave an occupied sleeper after arriving at NOL in the evening. In the morning,it would be attached to the Sunset Limited and away we went to Los Angeles. On the 2 or 3 times I did that trip each way. On one trip, I managed to talk a couple to do some sight seeing in NOLA. The day before the Sunset Limited got new Superliner equipment was the last 'through sleeper' in the USA.

Back