SWC- the Latest Lateness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of July 11, Amtrak posted the following (in part): "Please be advised that Southwest Chief Trains 3 and 4 may encounter delays along the route due to track reconstruction being performed between Lamy and Albuquerque, NM, and in southern Colorado. This work is expected to continue through approximately September 4." But 4(13) is already 3:52 late at Gallup - it hasn't even gotten to the advertised slow zone! We're scheduled on 4 connecting to 30 on August 2; I guess I'd better call Amtrak about that information-free email they sent last week...

As of July 11, Amtrak posted the following (in part): "Please be advised that Southwest Chief Trains 3 and 4 may encounter delays along the route due to track reconstruction being performed between Lamy and Albuquerque, NM, and in southern Colorado. This work is expected to continue through approximately September 4." But 4(13) is already 3:52 late at Gallup - it hasn't even gotten to the advertised slow zone! We're scheduled on 4 connecting to 30 on August 2; I guess I'd better call Amtrak about that information-free email they sent last week...
I went over to trainorders to see what they might have to say about it. They're saying that the other problem is engines are failing, that SWC isn't putting enough power on the trains. I don't know if that's true but I know that my BNSF friends are complaining that they are having the same kinds of problems, that it's going on all over the country; that their repair and maintenance shops are useless and that the company can't or doesn't want to spend money to buy new engines.

I can't imagine that BNSF's customers are any happier than Amtrak's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the online status map of Amtrak shows one #4 9 hours late at La Plata tonight, another #4 3.5 hours late at Las Vegas NM, and #3 late 5 hours late at Las Vegas NM. Are there track issues somewhere west that are causing issues, or is Amtrak just suffering a massive bout of bad karma? One train late could be an engine issue but this seems pretty wild.

http://asm.transitdocs.com/

MODERATOR NOTE: This post was merged with a previous thread to avoid multiple threads on same topic.

I was on 3 a few days ago and had slow orders in New Mexico due to track work, which delayed us around 4 hours.

This morning the SWC got into LAX an hour and 48 minutes late. Which is spectacular, given the last month or so. My question is this: if they got in at 10:03 AM and the 14 left at 10:10 AM, does that mean no one was transferring to the 14, or that they wouldn't hold the 14? Seems like it would be the former since they usually will wait at least a little while for the transfer. But thinking cynically, the connections aren't guaranteed until after the track work is done, 9/4 or thereabouts..

This morning the SWC got into LAX an hour and 48 minutes late. Which is spectacular, given the last month or so. My question is this: if they got in at 10:03 AM and the 14 left at 10:10 AM, does that mean no one was transferring to the 14, or that they wouldn't hold the 14? Seems like it would be the former since they usually will wait at least a little while for the transfer. But thinking cynically, the connections aren't guaranteed until after the track work is done, 9/4 or thereabouts..
Or they did a quick cross platform transfer.I made a connection from the SWC to the CS once. I had to go down and back up and got there just as the CS was pulling up to the platform.

On July 1st, the SWC barely made it up the grade into Raton Pass. There were engine problems which they somehow resolved. We were then over 2 hours delayed between Lamy and ABQ. Including a half hour wait for an engineer to drive up to check out a bridge to see if the bridge had enough integrity to drive over.

I am taking the SWC from Lamy to Chicago on August 1st and connecting to the CONO. Usually there's almost a five-hour layover but, with the current conditions, my question is if I should check my bag through to New Orleans in Lamy or carry it on with me. If my connection is Chicago is extremely tight, would a checked bag transfer quickly enough to also make it on the CONO? I have to bring a regular-size suitcase since this is the beginning of a four-week vacation so a carry-on is not sufficient. I hate to be bothered on both trains with that bag if I don't have to do it. The airlines say, "If you make the connection, your bag will too". Does that apply to Amtrak in any way?

I'm really looking forward to this train trip even though I'm going way out of my way to get to New Orleans. The only other way to do it from here (Santa Fe) is to drive down to El Paso and get the train there. I've been a rail fan since I was very young and traveled from Chicago to LA on the Super Chief. I've traveled by train on every continent (except Antarctica!!!!!) but this is my first Amtrak experience and I'm hoping i won't be a disappointment.

In addition to my question above: If I do miss my connection and have to wait until the next day for the CONO, since I am booked for a bedroom, how strong would the chances be that there would be a bedroom available on the next day's train? Any opinions?

I am taking the SWC from Lamy to Chicago on August 1st and connecting to the CONO. Usually there's almost a five-hour layover but, with the current conditions, my question is if I should check my bag through to New Orleans in Lamy or carry it on with me. If my connection is Chicago is extremely tight, would a checked bag transfer quickly enough to also make it on the CONO? I have to bring a regular-size suitcase since this is the beginning of a four-week vacation so a carry-on is not sufficient. I hate to be bothered on both trains with that bag if I don't have to do it. The airlines say, "If you make the connection, your bag will too". Does that apply to Amtrak in any way?

I'm really looking forward to this train trip even though I'm going way out of my way to get to New Orleans. The only other way to do it from here (Santa Fe) is to drive down to El Paso and get the train there. I've been a rail fan since I was very young and traveled from Chicago to LA on the Super Chief. I've traveled by train on every continent (except Antarctica!!!!!) but this is my first Amtrak experience and I'm hoping i won't be a disappointment.
One thing you might consider is checking your bag a day early. Because Amtrak's policy does not require your bags to ride the same train as you, you are able to put it on the train one day before yours to ensure that it gets there. When I did this from NY to Tampa, I was pretty worried but my bags got there fine. (Unfortunately, the guy at the baggage counter in Tampa had selective blindness and couldn't find them, so I had to fill out a missing baggage form. When I handed the form to a second guy behind the counter, he promptly informed me that my bags were not lost, they were right in the back and got them for me.) I still laugh at the absurdity of it all.
Anyway, I'm sure that doesn't usually happen, so checking a day ahead might be a good idea. The Amtrak website says to allow 2 hours layover to ensure checked baggage is transferred, so I'm not sure what would happen if the SWC cuts it close with the connection.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565010

I just reread the Amtrak bulletin. It says SOME guaranteed connections are suspended, naming those in LAX, KCY, Newton, and Raton. Does this mean they're still guaranteeing connections at CHI?

Today's #4 got into CHI at 7:16PM, but #30 had left on time (6:40PM). How long will Amtrak typically hold an east coast train for a delayed west coast train? I've got my family (3 roomettes) transferring from #4 to #30 on 8/1 and I'm getting (more) nervous!

I just reread the Amtrak bulletin. It says SOME guaranteed connections are suspended, naming those in LAX, KCY, Newton, and Raton. Does this mean they're still guaranteeing connections at CHI?

Today's #4 got into CHI at 7:16PM, but #30 had left on time (6:40PM). How long will Amtrak typically hold an east coast train for a delayed west coast train? I've got my family (3 roomettes) transferring from #4 to #30 on 8/1 and I'm getting (more) nervous!
Typically, unless the misconnect is horrendous, what Amtrak will do when the Southwest Chief is running behind is to put you (and your checked baggage) on a bus at Galesburg and drive you directly to South Bend to catch the Capitol Limited there and cut the corner on the Chicago congestion. I believe they normally time last call for dinner at departure from South Bend, so you should at least be able to eat, albeit a bit late.

I decided to bite the bullet and leave a day earlier, stay over in LA one night and take the 14 the following day, getting me to SJC on the day I'm expected.

If the SWC does happen to make the connection to the 14 on the day I'm staying over and my luggage gets to SJC a day ahead of me, how long will SJC hold it for me?

Assuming, of course, that I can even have my luggage tagged to the final destination on a multi-city ticket...

And the 4 is expected to be over 2 hours late at this point. Wow, the schedule is really messed up...at least here in Barstow.

SWC of Jul 22 departure from lax has a shot at arriving on time at CUS today. Are they still doing trackwork in NM from Lamy to ABQ?

Back