SWC3 in Long Term Service Disruption in ABQ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per the VR Flagstaff chat on Youtube, the train hit a car and is parked outside of Seligman. Both tracks are blocked, a day after BNSF is undoing a back log from a derailment near Winslow (yeah, yeah we all know the Eagle's song). BNSF can't be too happy about this. The train was 25 hours late. Amtrak should put the pax on the nearest Southwest flight into LAX and limp the equipment back home. Don't know what alternative plans were offered to pax while in ABQ.

The sleeper passengers were allowed to get a free candy bar from the cafe and the coach passengers were punished by getting free flex meals? :)

Er um well... as experienced myself in the past... and was discussed several years ago on AU, it's Dinty Moore Beef Stew to the rescue... as spelled... "from large institutional cans." these cans are stored in the dining car kitchen for emergency use. They will some times add a small roll if there are any extras on board. That's it... placed in a small disposable bowl holding about 5oz of the stuff... with plastic spoon and paper napkin... and doled out to all passengers. This was pre pandemic... so it's hard to tell what they did today... but there are laws which require distribution of food to pax in times of emergency. :eek:

All things considered and from what I remember for twice having experienced this... the lowly quality of this canned food was actually a step up from the flex meal 'wine braised beef.'

The pic below is an accurate depiction of the stew itself... but 'fancy bowl n spoon' on train is more basic discardable ware.
canned stew beef on a stranded train.png

Correction the train in front SWC struck the vehicle and SWC got stuck behind it. And crew running out of hours. The only thing left to hit the poor SWC pax is the kitchen sink...........................................(looking up).

Where was the last place that the SWC fueled up and how much extra fuel do they carry? I am just wondering if fuel will become an issue for them.

The pic below is an accurate depiction of the stew itself... but 'fancy bowl n spoon' on train is more basic discardable ware.
View attachment 20468
Having actually had the infamous stew (in a Pacific Parlor Car no less) while waiting for a UP tow engine, it's really not that bad. We did get a basket of rolls and free wine btw.

Er um well... as experienced myself in the past... and was discussed several years ago on AU, it's Dinty Moore Beef Stew to the rescue... as spelled... "from large institutional cans." these cans are stored in the dining car kitchen for emergency use. They will some times add a small roll if there are any extras on board. That's it... placed in a small disposable bowl holding about 5oz of the stuff... with plastic spoon and paper napkin... and doled out to all passengers. This was pre pandemic... so it's hard to tell what they did today... but there are laws which require distribution of food to pax in times of emergency. :eek:

All things considered and from what I remember for twice having experienced this... the lowly quality of this canned food was actually a step up from the flex meal 'wine braised beef.'
When I used to travel frequently on Amtrak, in the '70's and '80's, whenever a disruption caused either an equipment problem with the diner, or a lengthy delay, we picked up at some stop "Panic Boxes" distributed to all the passenger's. These were invariably a Kentucky Fried Chicken 'dinner'.
I believe the Galesburg KFC benefitted many times serving the late running Number Six....

We had the emergency beef stew before on a very late No. 5 and were glad to have it. (The crew was doing a good job handling the situation.)

I would definitely prefer the beef stew to the entrees on our last trip on the Lake Shore.

The first long delay I can remember was in the late 70's aboard the now defunct Amtrak Pioneer... we were somehow routed north out of Denver and then continuing east. The dinner was fresh cooked chicken with a side of [powdered] mashed potatoes and canned mixed vegetables. The chicken was really good... the rest was not. I'm thinking they could have picked up the chicken during the prolonged stop in Denver.

All this has mouth watering for the old pre Amtrak era Swanson fried chicken TV Dinners... Compared to today everything was insanely delicious... especially those powdered mashed potatoes steeped in real butter. The reason may be that they didn't use extenders / fillers / flavor 'enhancers' like they do today.

pre Amtrak era Swanson fried chicken TV Dinners.png

Back