Swine Flu - Concerns Traveling by Rail?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaileyRailFans

Train Attendant
Has anyone heard any word from Amtrak on concerns over the Swine Flu coming out of Mexico and now in San Diego?

There's always a concern when traveling in a confined space with people, of course! But has Amtrak made any kind of official statement about how they're going to address this issue?

I'm traveling on the Coast Starlight on 5/7 & 5/8, and I have Multiple Sclerosis. My immune system is surpressed, therefore I have to be cautious in regards to this type of epidemic.

Any info that can be shared would be great! :)

I don't know how Amtrak could address this issue. They are in the business of transportation, not public health. Plenty of people each day get on the train (or any form of transportation) with the common cold or regular flu.

That means its up to you to stay clean. I would guess a sleeper would be a better environment than a coach and when you first get on you personally scrub it down.

You'd be even less safe on a plane in that tiny contained environment.
But the exposure time is far less on a plane. If you compare Los Angeles - Seattle it takes about 3 hours on a plane vs 34 hours on a train. Even though planes stuff more people in them, its only for a short period of time.

i don't believe mexico has curtailed public transit though they have curtailed some public gatherings. i have always felt an amtrak coach to be a good place to catch a cold. might be best to catch the virus early before it becomes even more virulent. if i had travel plans near the border i might reconsider or at least keep a very close eye on cdc press releases. i would guess (hope) amtrak would take direction from them

Has anyone heard any word from Amtrak on concerns over the Swine Flu coming out of Mexico and now in San Diego?
There's always a concern when traveling in a confined space with people, of course! But has Amtrak made any kind of official statement about how they're going to address this issue?

I'm traveling on the Coast Starlight on 5/7 & 5/8, and I have Multiple Sclerosis. My immune system is surpressed, therefore I have to be cautious in regards to this type of epidemic.

Any info that can be shared would be great! :)
There is no statements or info on their website, either under new releases or service alerts. I would be surprised if there was.

If it were me I would talk to my Dr about the risks first before getting too excited. Also you may want to ask him/her about using the OTC 'Zicam' or something similar. So far this flu has showed up only in Mexico & a few suspected cases in San Diego.

I would be surprised if it showed up on the train, but I guess anything's possible.

Since your plan is to spend most of your time in the H bedroom, you should be ok. I would use sanitizing wipes (non bleach kind) & wipe down the surfaces upon entering it. There is also spray sanitizer, but if you have breathing problems or asthma you may want to avoid that. You can also use sanitizing gel for your hands too. Most stores have pocket sized bottles at the the check out. It's small enough you can bring it with you anywhere on the train... And of course the stand by of hand washing helps too.

Enjoy your trip on the Starlight!

EDIT:

I just went to foxnews.com & cdc.gov & found these articles:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517901,00.html

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the exposure time is far less on a plane. If you compare Los Angeles - Seattle it takes about 3 hours on a plane vs 34 hours on a train. Even though planes stuff more people in them, its only for a short period of time.
The exposure time may be less, but thanks to the dry recirculated air on a plane, you risk is much higher than on Amtrak.

The exposure time may be less, but thanks to the dry recirculated air on a plane, you risk is much higher than on Amtrak.
A plane becomes saturated in only a matter of minutes the entire cabin's air has become contaminated. On a train it would take a lot longer to saturate the coaches, due to the larger volume and the lack of pressurization. Air can circulate through a train and does become recycled every time the doors are opened.

I admit I haven't been following this very close, but one thing I remember is that it is not spread by human to human contact - only between direct contact of humans and pigs. (I heard even eating pork does not transmit it.)

Now I may be wrong, but I can't remember the last time I saw a pig aboard an Amtrak train! :rolleyes: (Although some of the passengers may act like pigs! :lol: )

Modern airliners refresh cabin air regularly. In most cases the entire volume of cabin air is refreshed with external air every five minutes or so. That is a higher refresh rate than most buildings. The risk on an airliner may be higher due to the number of people in the relatively small cabin, but it is not due to stale air.

Modern airliners refresh cabin air regularly. In most cases the entire volume of cabin air is refreshed with external air every five minutes or so, which is a higher refresh rate than most buildings. The risk on an airliner may be higher due to the number of people in the cabin, but it is not due to stale air.
The air refresh rate on a Superliner car is in the 5-7 minute area depending on he outside air temperature. This is a higher rate than most airliners. The Superliners also have a much better air filtration system. The Superliner I's have a great HVAC system only topped by the Superliner II's. In a former (and some time simultaneous with my rr time) life I was an FAA certified A&P Mechanic.

Modern airliners refresh cabin air regularly. In most cases the entire volume of cabin air is refreshed with external air every five minutes or so, which is a higher refresh rate than most buildings. The risk on an airliner may be higher due to the number of people in the cabin, but it is not due to stale air.
The air refresh rate on a Superliner car is in the 5-7 minute area depending on he outside air temperature. This is a higher rate than most airliners. The Superliners also have a much better air filtration system. The Superliner I's have a great HVAC system only topped by the Superliner II's. In a former (and some time simultaneous with my rr time) life I was an FAA certified A&P Mechanic.
Air refresh is one aspect, but contact with public things is where the train will get you. You can sit in a plane for 3 hours and not have to use the bathroom, but on the 34 hour train trip you will have to use it. You will most likely go to the lounge car and touch even more things.

I admit I haven't been following this very close, but one thing I remember is that it is not spread by human to human contact - only between direct contact of humans and pigs. (I heard even eating pork does not transmit it.)
Now I may be wrong, but I can't remember the last time I saw a pig aboard an Amtrak train! :rolleyes: (Although some of the passengers may act like pigs! :lol: )
Quoting to restate the obvious. Unless they bring cattle cars back Swine Flu is NOT spread through human to human contact, only human to animal.

For now at least...

Of course my point was to state that airliners do not simply recirculate air in flight. Aircraft cabin air is fresh air, as is train air.

As for the excellence of the Superliner HVAC system, I have some first hand knowledge that at times it lacks a little reliability. I've been in rooms that were sweltering with not hint of airflow, and in rooms that required some impromtu modification of the plenim vent to prevent freezing to death. My observation is that the system was fine in 1990 and would be OK today if maintained properly.

As for filtration, modern aircraft use high-efficiency, particulate type air filters. These are the same type filters used in hospital IC units. I have no knowledge of the filtration used with Superliner HVAC, but if it is as good, that would be pretty good indeed.

Quoting to restate the obvious. Unless they bring cattle cars back Swine Flu is NOT spread through human to human contact, only human to animal.

For now at least...
While that is normally the case, human to human transmission has been confirmed in the last couple of weeks. That is the cause for concern.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Yup, but after all we don't speak about radiation, but about a disease, so exposure time is not that important.

As far as I know about this thing is that it currently affects mostly young adults, to which you don't belong (at least I assume that), but which is a reason to be afraid in general indeed, as the most famous flu which affected mostly young adults was the last real pandemic the world saw back in 1918:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

The point is that it's hard to find a way to travel that is less crowded than using a H sleeper compartement on amtrak (lower level, nobody walking through, nobody coming to your room, etc.) Personally, with an evil thing as MS is, i would take all the measures you d' take against every other illness (i'm no doctor so you probably know more about these things than I do).

Your doctor will also provide better advice on the flu than we are able to.....

=> And after you asked all the questions here, please post also a trip report here, so we will get to know how you got to San Luis Obispo and back.

Thanks for all the great input and discussion! My concern was more personal than an issue that Amtrak has to address, but I did wonder how well they clean down the trains while they are running. I will of course bring along antiseptic wipes and gel to wipe down my H-room when we get onboard, as well as carry them up to the PPC when we are there. And I'm always very cautious about where I put my hands, or touching anywhere around my face.

Having MS, I am one of those people that are highly susceptible to infection and disease. But I try not to let that limit my ability to go out and about in the world just like anybody else! I even have a face mask I can take with me to use, if the CDC puts out a more urgent warning to people with illness.

Please don't misconstrue what I was saying...I'm not panicked! I had heard from my parents that they temporarily shut down rail travel during the swine flu epidemic in 1976, and therefore wondered if that would happen again. WHO has been hinting that a pandemic could be coming, but again I was just wondering if Amtrak had put out any statement since they travel from San Diego throughout California daily, and San Diego has identified swine flu as well.

I'll definitely be posting a Trip Report when we get back! :)

... I had heard from my parents that they temporarily shut down rail travel during the swine flu epidemic in 1976, and therefore wondered if that would happen again.
I was around during the swine flu panic in the 70's and travel was not affected. What was affected was my arm when I got a swine flu shot from one of those high pressure guns used for mass innoculations. Seriously painful.

Thanks for all the great input and discussion! My concern was more personal than an issue that Amtrak has to address, but I did wonder how well they clean down the trains while they are running. I will of course bring along antiseptic wipes and gel to wipe down my H-room when we get onboard, as well as carry them up to the PPC when we are there. And I'm always very cautious about where I put my hands, or touching anywhere around my face.
Having MS, I am one of those people that are highly susceptible to infection and disease. But I try not to let that limit my ability to go out and about in the world just like anybody else! I even have a face mask I can take with me to use, if the CDC puts out a more urgent warning to people with illness.

Please don't misconstrue what I was saying...I'm not panicked! I had heard from my parents that they temporarily shut down rail travel during the swine flu epidemic in 1976, and therefore wondered if that would happen again. WHO has been hinting that a pandemic could be coming, but again I was just wondering if Amtrak had put out any statement since they travel from San Diego throughout California daily, and San Diego has identified swine flu as well.

I'll definitely be posting a Trip Report when we get back! :)
It's good you're not panicking. I suggested wipes/sanitizer just in case you don't normally use them. I should have realized that you probably would use them. I will be packing them along as well on our trip in June/July. I had already decided to bring them before the flu issue for the simple reason that there is really no way to tell how well they clean the rooms. All the pics I have seen they look clean, but looks aren't everything. It's just like any other public area. I'm not OCD about it, just trying to be careful. It really is amazing how few people wash their hands anymore. I agree, you should be cautious-there is no reason to risk your health.

Have fun on your trip, please don't forget the trip report!!!

From what I have been following, this isn't the original swine flu, but rather a mutated verson of the H1N1 virus that CAN be spread person to person.

You don't need a pig on broad, juust an infected person acting like a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back