Swiss Railway Cab Ride Videos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember in the early 90s, we did Milan, Venice then Switzerland. We took the winter version of the Bernina Express from Tirano to San Moritz. No special tourist cars - just two combination cab, first class and second class cars. One guy was in second class and we were the only ones in 1st class. So I went up to the Italian engineer and I, who spoke no Italian and he, who spoke no English managed to communicate that I was a RR Museum volunteer and would love to stand in the cab with him. He let me. I was so overwhelmed with the Brusio Circular and the spectacular scenery, I forgot to take any pictures. After a few small stops, we got to one where he was getting off and he indicated I had to go back to my seat. After San Moritz, we did the Glacier Express but I will forever kick myself for forgetting I had a camera in my hand and forgot to use it.

That's awesome, I personally love streetrunning because it's so unique
Triano is not the only street running on that line. Many of the villages [not all] south of Poschiavo have street running through them, one even has ordinary bus stop where the train stops!

Triano is not the only street running on that line. Many of the villages [not all] south of Poschiavo have street running through them, one even has ordinary bus stop where the train stops!
That is simply amazing. Wish America had more stuff like that. I may be the only one to think that way though

Street running is quite dangerous and slow. Anyone running a railroad should avoid it at all costs. The ones in existence today are based on historical decisions that would be avoided if someone was building a route today.

The areas where there is already street running create enough problems. It's hard to get through a week without at least one incident in places like Ashland, VA, or La Grange, KY.
Mhm, that is why I said "I may be the only one to think that way though."

Back