Switching Rooms -- A Challenge in Futility

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! I made a reservation for Emeryville to Denver in April 2017 this morning. We got roomettes 2 and 5. I don't dislike our children that much, so after reading this post I felt lucky... ... And called Amtrak. After shouting "Agent, YES, NO, Please do!" to Julie a lady picked up the phone. (Waiting time for an agent was said to be six minutes; within a minute I was speaking with an agent: Amtrak time management in my advantage!) After giving my reservation information she looked in The System and saw the rooms are classed and in our class (CZ?) none were available anymore. She didn't accept The System's answer, added a roomette to our reservation (the 6) and deleted the number 2, checked if The System didn't charge us extra (which It didn't) and emailed the modified reservation. She sounded proud of getting this result... For which I congratulated her, off course. Greetings from Rotterdam, Peter
And that is what quality service is all about. When the agent goes the extra mile to see that the customer needs are met and is happy that they accomplished a positive result for both the company and the customer.. :)

Glad you got a good agent! This has been the standard practice in the past when you call in and request specific room assignment with an agent.

Letting the Computer pick your room, whether calling in, or reserving online, is where you get random room(s) assignment.

We are awaiting "Official" word from Amtrak whether the method of Revenue Enhancement has been modified so that the less desired rooms (#9 & #10, #11-#14)are indeed the default Low Bucket Rooomettes!!

Let's hope not!

Aloha

I never worry about the room because beside sleeping or meal reservations I spend my time in the lounge.
AGREED!
What is the point of taking the time to inform everyone that you don't care about what someone else cares about?
The same as complaining about it being done. ;)
You don't seem to understand. I'm genuinely curious what you're attempting to accomplish by going out of your way to tell everyone you don't care about the topic at hand. Is the goal to get people to stop posting about a topic of which you disapprove? Or is it done simply to draw attention to yourself? I support alternative and contarian viewpoints as much as anyone, but I've never understood the concept of vocal indifference. Do you randomly interrupt people on the street just to tell them their conversation doesn't happen to tickle your fancy? There are hundreds if not thousands of threads with topics I find boring or pointless and yet I never felt the need or desire to butt in and say "I just came here to tell everyone I don't care about this." It's just a completely foreign concept to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
II wouldnt be bothered which room I got so if Amtrak are charging a premium for some rooms than others it wouldnt affect me as I would most likely go for the cheapest option available at the time of ordering, saying that if it is was just a few $ more for an upstairs roomette compared to a down stairs I might pay the extra to avoid being next to the family room.

Some people (perhaps the majority) do have a preference for which room they would get and some might even pay top dollar to snap up the room of their choice then why not offer them the opportunity and make a little bit less of a loss.

If the demand isn't there to justify the policy then I'm sure the policy will revert back (if it is indeed a policy at all)

I called and spoke to an agent today to make reservations for a round trip from Toledo to Salt Lake City for next April and she was able to work and get me the exact roomettes, including two across from one another, I wanted for each leg and also found a way to do it for slightly less than what I saw online. It seemed to me she worked very hard to give me great service. I have not dealt with many agents from Amtrak yet but the ones I have dealt with have been very efficient and helpful.

I have always purchased (2 roomettes) online and then called to get them switched to be across from each other. Sounds like maybe I should just call in the future instead of trying to change after the purchase.

As someone who spends his time mostly in his roomette when traveling, having a particular room is of paramount importance to me. Except for meals and a minor bit of time spent in the lounge, I prefer to relax in my room with my own thoughts as I watch the world go by. I know that for some, the lounge is the place to be even when they have a room, but that's not universally true for everyone.

Thus, it matters which roomette I'm assigned because it will affect whether I'll be watching the scenery from ground level or from above, whether I'll be in a room that is noisier than most (e.g., 2, 9, and 10), or whether my room is assigned to a car closest to the diner. When I'm paying over $1000 for a roomette, these seemingly minor inconveniences are anything but.

Traveling in my room, I spend a lot of time taking in the scenery passing by so having a good room is important. Having an upstairs room is also important so I can take a glance outside as I am writing detailed reports after my consulting meetings. There are a number of business people traveling in the sleeper so they can get their work done and enjoy traveling by rail over flying. I hate flying but time limitations force me many times, so I want to enjoy my time on the train.

I prefer the upper level also and was able to get a lower level switched by phone last fall. I told the agent that I thought I had chosen an upper level but when I got the ticket it was not. True. She was very accommodating and there was no charge although it was a time consuming process.

A few years ago I requested a change as I was boarding. The car attendant came back and said, "There is a room available but there is only one problem -- it's next to the bathroom." What he saw as a disadvantage, I saw as an advantage and gladly accepted his offer!"

I have never given much thought to the room location on the upper level and I'm surprised that so many of you have preferences. I'm curious why particular rooms are advantageous.

I'll be traveling the SW Chief soon and I see I have #3 one way and #5 return. Will I be happy?

3 and 5 are some of the most preferred rooms. They are upper level and in the middle of the rooms.

Many people don't like downstairs because the views are not as good and do not like the upper level end rooms because they are close to the door. Though when I have been in 9, I was surprised how the door noise was really not any more noticeable to me than center rooms.

Aloha

I never worry about the room because beside sleeping or meal reservations I spend my time in the lounge.
AGREED!
What is the point of taking the time to inform everyone that you don't care about what someone else cares about?
The same as complaining about it being done. ;)
You don't seem to understand. I'm genuinely curious what you're attempting to accomplish by going out of your way to tell everyone you don't care about the topic at hand. Is the goal to get people to stop posting about a topic of which you disapprove? Or is it done simply to draw attention to yourself? I support alternative and contarian viewpoints as much as anyone, but I've never understood the concept of vocal indifference. Do you randomly interrupt people on the street just to tell them their conversation doesn't happen to tickle your fancy? There are hundreds if not thousands of threads with topics I find boring or pointless and yet I never felt the need or desire to butt in and say "I just came here to tell everyone I don't care about this." It's just a completely foreign concept to me.
I simply disagree with your feeling that GG-1 comment and my agreeing with it has no merit and should not be expressed. Some folks have room preferences, others don't. But both poitions are legitimate, and have right to be expressed. YMMV.

That said, I prefer upstairs over downstairs in a superliner.

So now that I know all about preferred rooms I'm wondering if you have car preferences. I am in the sleeper next to the diner and I don't think that has ever happened before. I'm used to walking for miles to get my meals! I can see the disadvantage--lots of folks walking through--but I think I like the convenience. Also my ticket said car 330 but I'm pretty sure the number on it when I boarded was 430. Is that common?

It is common to have the wrong first two digits of the four digit car number, as they are changed manually.

So now that I know all about preferred rooms I'm wondering if you have car preferences. I am in the sleeper next to the diner and I don't think that has ever happened before. I'm used to walking for miles to get my meals! I can see the disadvantage--lots of folks walking through--but I think I like the convenience. Also my ticket said car 330 but I'm pretty sure the number on it when I boarded was 430. Is that common?
The 1st one or two digits on your ticket is the train number, so 330 would be #3 (SWC westbound) car 30. If the car showed 430, that just means the SCA did not manually change the number in Chicago.

Glomor: Lots of folks like being in the Sleeper closest to the Diner and Lounge.

Others like being in the Transdorm on the front of the train. (Crew Sleeper in a Superliner.)

The Longest walk to the Diner and Lounge is from the Portland Sleeper (#27/#28)on the back of the Empire Builder and when it runs the #448/#449 Sleeper on the Front of the Lake Shore Limited between Albany and Chicago.

The #421/#422 Sleeper is also on the back of #1/#2 between LAX and SAS so there's a fairly good chance for exercise in going to/from the Diner and Lounge.

I called today to change the Roomettes the system had reserved for me for a trip in October.

The outgoing lower level Roomette reservation was paid for with dollars and the agent made the change easily to an upper level Roomette.

The return reservation was paid for with points so I was shuffled over to another agent.

The AGR agent gave me the story that changing rooms would require I use additional points.

I suggested to the agent that that was not the reality and that she could indeed make the roomette change without me needing to pay additional points.

She got some help and - Voila' - Roomette changed from a lower level Roomette to an upper level Roomette, and no additional points were required.

Glomor: Lots of folks like being in the Sleeper closest to the Diner and Lounge.

Others like being in the Transdorm on the front of the train. (Crew Sleeper in a Superliner.)

The Longest walk to the Diner and Lounge is from the Portland Sleeper (#27/#28)on the back of the Empire Builder and when it runs the #448/#449 Sleeper on the Front of the Lake Shore Limited between Albany and Chicago.

The #421/#422 Sleeper is also on the back of #1/#2 between LAX and SAS so there's a fairly good chance for exercise in going to/from the Diner and Lounge.
Why do you think people like the trans/dorm roomettes? I guess that's possible if the train is the only mode of affordable transportation available to the city he/she wants to go. For me, the only time I take the trains is when I am on vacations and always from the start to the final destination on the LD trains like CZ, SWC, EB. So the location of the roomette is super important, particularly when I am paying above $700. I would avoid lower level, close to the door, right next to toilets, and trans/dorm roomettes.

I like the transdorm because it's fairly quiet (usually just me, another traveler or two, and the crew). Also, the bathrooms/showers feel a bit bigger, as they tend to be a bathroom/shower combo. You also don't get as much foot traffic in that car.

Any particular roomette in trans/dorm you like over others? How about the engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back