Taking the Canadian during the holidays 2022-2023

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
All,

Thinking of taking the Canadian between Christmas and NY this year. Prob going to take it westbound though might change plans and go east. I did the train in late spring about 10 years ago. Did coach then and plan to do coach again this time as I spend 80 percent of my time in the dome anyway (the dome for coach passengers is back on the canadian these days, correct--i understand was removed for a time due to covid). Any advice anyone has (i know, take sleeper not coach-). Will train be full? Ive got over 130k miles on Amtrak so used to late trains, and ready for lateness on the Canadian. Just want to sit back and enjoy. Last time i rode, there was a dome for coach passengers and a small cafe for us "peons" to get snacks and refreshments from. As long as have that on my upcoming ride, Ill be just fine.

It used to be very crowded during the holidays, but the last time I rode during the holidays was so long ago it was the CNR before VIA, but I'm guessing it's still crowded even though the scheduling makes it an awkward transportation choice. And if it's cold enough, nothing works right and it could be cold on the train.

thx, im thinking of traveling mid january instead, then im prob guaranteed the train wont be crowded id imagine. Plus flight back home might be cheaper then. ill plan to pack plenty of blankets in case the train is cold.

thx, im thinking of traveling mid january instead, then im prob guaranteed the train wont be crowded id imagine. Plus flight back home might be cheaper then. ill plan to pack plenty of blankets in case the train is cold.
I've taken it several times in the Winter,and it was always Warm inside the Train, like the Old Heritage Cars Days when Steam supplied the Heat!

good to hear! i figured they kept the train warm, but ill plan to bring an extra blanket just in case. Never know i guess. Im totally fine with coach as plan to spend 80 percent of the time in the dome like i did last time i rode the Canadian. that was prior to the train timetable being changed to 4 nights. Even for me that will be a long time in a seat lol. had thoughts of splitting train ride up in say, jasper, but it appears have to stay 3 days before next westbound comes through. Id prob rather not wait that long. Will see. Looks like westbound is still the way to go, or does one suggest eastbound? Per timetable, if train is even remotely on time, should be able to see at least some mtns west of jasper going west. of course its canada in mid january. maybe the sun sets at 3 pm LOL

Back