Taking the Pennslyvanian to Lancaster ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
Hello
I am thinking of taking the Pennsylvania to Lancaster Pa from Chicago.. Has anyone done this? I would get a roomette on the Capitol and then business class for the Pennsylvania. How is the on time record of this train and is business class like the ones that go to St. Louis, where we sit so to speak at the rear of the car behind the snack counter???

I would recommend riding the capitol all the way to dc and taking a regional to Philadelphia and transferring to a keystone there.... or taking the Cardinal or Lake Shore.

Getting up in the middle of the night to get out of a roomette I paid good money for, only to wait in a station for a chair is not going to put me in a proper mood for enjoying the Strasburg Railroad! (Why else would you go to Lancaster? Jk. It’s a great area regardless).

I would recommend riding the capitol all the way to dc and taking a regional to Philadelphia and transferring to a keystone there.... or taking the Cardinal or Lake Shore.

Getting up in the middle of the night to get out of a roomette I paid good money for, only to wait in a station for a chair is not going to put me in a proper mood for enjoying the Strasburg Railroad! (Why else would you go to Lancaster? Jk. It’s a great area regardless).

This. Crescent-Zephyr's recommendation is round about but Pittsburgh's station is an armpit to wait in for even a couple of hours. Plus the scenery from Pittsburgh to Washington is outstanding. And if the Cap is very late, which happens occasionally, I am uncertain whether they hold the Pennsylvanian for connecting passengers.

I can’t believe that I’m the only one who will advise someone to take the Pennsylvanian. The best part is going around the World Famous Horseshoe Curve technically in Altoona. And a close second is going over Rockville Bridge near Harrisburg. Although the OTP of the train has been declining recently on this train. Part of the problem is that Norfolk Southern is working on Signal upgrades on the entire Pitt Line. Which has their C&S department upgrading the line to Cab Signals only. The only Physical Signals will be at interlockings. And NS is taking portions out of service for hours at a time usually on Sunday’s. They start at some ungodly hour and wrap up around Noon. These Signal Upgrades are to become PTC compliant. But it’s a nice ride.

As for Business Class on the train. It’s a 2x2 seating car. In front of the Cafe.

I can’t believe that I’m the only one who will advise someone to take the Pennsylvanian. The best part is going around the World Famous Horseshoe Curve technically in Altoona. And a close second is going over Rockville Bridge near Harrisburg. Although the OTP of the train has been declining recently on this train. Part of the problem is that Norfolk Southern is working on Signal upgrades on the entire Pitt Line. Which has their C&S department upgrading the line to Cab Signals only. The only Physical Signals will be at interlockings. And NS is taking portions out of service for hours at a time usually on Sunday’s. They start at some ungodly hour and wrap up around Noon. These Signal Upgrades are to become PTC compliant. But it’s a nice ride.

As for Business Class on the train. It’s a 2x2 seating car. In front of the Cafe.

Good info. I noticed the OTP time had deteriorated recently even though traditionally it had been excellent. Hopefully once the upgrades are done things will improve. I do agree, it is a great ride; I do it a few times a year, just because.

I can’t believe that I’m the only one who will advise someone to take the Pennsylvanian. The best part is going around the World Famous Horseshoe Curve technically in Altoona.

Concur. Although the best part is avoiding the cesspool that is Philly.

Going the long way around to avoid a Pittsburgh transfer is ridiculous.

Concur. Although the best part is avoiding the cesspool that is Philly.

Going the long way around to avoid a Pittsburgh transfer is ridiculous.

Agree about Pittsburgh. If the CL is on time, you have the option of some breakfast places locals adore not far from the station. If it's not on time but you can still make the connection with 42, the Amshack-like waiting area isn't that bad for a short wait. Wouldn't want to have to wait there for many hours tho.

Tho it would do little to address the early AM connection between 30 and 42, PA needs another cross-state train on a schedule opposite 42/43, at least between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. In a perfect world, that would be a reincarnation of the Broadway Limited or even the National Limited, but that's probably not realistic. A train to make a number of same-day RTs within the state a reality, with further connections at Harrisburg and Pittsburgh could / should be.

Ryan, have you done the transfer in Pittsburgh? What was your experience like?

For me, it’s not ridiculous to go around the long way because I enjoy sleeping in on the train, getting breakfast (although now with the capitol, that’s not as much of a selling point as the last time I made this decision), and if I want having some time built in to see some landmarks in DC.

I personally love 30th Street station too, one of my favorites in the country.

For what it’s worth I’ve used this round a bout way to actually travel from Chicago to Lancaster. So I’m not just saying it’s hypothetically what I would do. I travel to Lancaster often for the Strasburg railroad. I’ve taken all kinds of odd combinations to get there.

Interesting conversation - and I can identify with it. I've always wondered if anyone else but me went to Lancaster by way of DC and Philadelphia. I could have written that post by Crescent-Zephyr. I don't care for the timing of those connections in Pittsburgh - either eastbound or westbound, (and especially westbound) and I too want to maximize my time in a sleeper and in dining cars. So I will indeed take the Capitol Limited between Chicago and DC, then hit one of the Acelas to Philadelphia, spend some time in the First Class Lounge at 30th Street Station, and then Keystone to Lancaster. And, at least the times I was there a few years ago, the Pittsburgh station was rather drab and unatractive and not very comfortable. I also don't recall there being a place to eat at the Pittsburgh Amtrak station although maybe that's changed by now.

We live in Lancaster. Going to New Mexico this summer. Our choice (3rd time doing this) is Lancaster to Philly on the Keystone, Regional to DC then Cap the CHI to pick up the Chief. Then Vice Versa.

We do it to avoid the middle of the night and early morning transfers with lengthy waits in Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh east trip is lots of fun, but not part of an extended trip for us.

30th St Station in Philly and Union Station have lots of amenities and are just fine.

Ryan, have you done the transfer in Pittsburgh? What was your experience like?

For me, it’s not ridiculous to go around the long way because I enjoy sleeping in on the train, getting breakfast (although now with the capitol, that’s not as much of a selling point as the last time I made this decision), and if I want having some time built in to see some landmarks in DC.

I personally love 30th Street station too, one of my favorites in the country.

For what it’s worth I’ve used this round a bout way to actually travel from Chicago to Lancaster. So I’m not just saying it’s hypothetically what I would do. I travel to Lancaster often for the Strasburg railroad. I’ve taken all kinds of odd combinations to get there.

I think many (not all) of us have intentionally structured an itinerary to get more train time and/or see the sights in a place that would otherwise be bypassed. It's part of being a railfan in my view.

Interesting conversation - and I can identify with it. I've always wondered if anyone else but me went to Lancaster by way of DC and Philadelphia. I could have written that post by Crescent-Zephyr. I don't care for the timing of those connections in Pittsburgh - either eastbound or westbound, (and especially westbound) and I too want to maximize my time in a sleeper and in dining cars. So I will indeed take the Capitol Limited between Chicago and DC, then hit one of the Acelas to Philadelphia, spend some time in the First Class Lounge at 30th Street Station, and then Keystone to Lancaster. And, at least the times I was there a few years ago, the Pittsburgh station was rather drab and unatractive and not very comfortable. I also don't recall there being a place to eat at the Pittsburgh Amtrak station although maybe that's changed by now.

No eatery in the station, but within a 15 (+/-) minute walk or a 5-minute Uber there are at least two good and affordable places open for breakfast if you're off 30, connecting to 42. They have been mentioned here before in other threads...

Primanti's (https://primantibros.com/locations/strip-district) or Deluca's (https://www.delucastripdistrict.com/) in the nearby Strip District serve breakfast at those hours. Primanti's is open 24 hours; Deluca's at 6:30am most days so probably a gamble to catch 42 unless you call in an order and get takeout (no delivery). Deluca's is cash-only.

There may also be breakfast possibilities at nearby downtown hotels, but I'm unfamiliar with those, as is my wallet.

If you're in a rush, the Greyhound Station just across Liberty Ave. has a snack bar and vending machines. This would be my last choice, as Deluca's and Primanti's are a lot better -- but it's a choice nevertheless.

I think many (not all) of us have intentionally structured an itinerary to get more train time and/or see the sights in a place that would otherwise be bypassed. It's part of being a railfan in my view.

I've been known to travel 100 miles in the wrong direction to pick up an overnight sleeper at a more social time in both Europe and Japan. Given the choice of an 8pm departure from a major station with numerous facilities or a 2am departure from a halt in the middle of the wrong side of town with no shelter, I'd be a fool to choose the later

Back