Taking the Train from Miami to Alaska!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has to be BS. There is no physical rail connection between Alaska and the rest of the North American rail network, let alone passenger service. The closest rail served station to Alaska is Prince Rupert, BC

I hate BS.
He mentioned that he'll be taking a ferry to Alaska. I don't recall whether he said from where.

It's not about getting there by the fastest or most direct route. He'll be highlighting interesting and noteworthy railroads. The first episode included Miami Metro as America's southernmost railroad, Brightline, and Acela as the fastest.

The teaser for Episode 2 was America's oldest railroad.

He mentioned that he'll be taking a ferry to Alaska. I don't recall whether he said from where.

It's not about getting there by the fastest or most direct route. He'll be highlighting interesting and noteworthy railroads. The first episode included Miami Metro as America's southernmost railroad, Brightline, and Acela as the fastest.

The teaser for Episode 2 was America's oldest railroad.
I suppose it reflects a certain narrow mindedness, but I did not watch it because of the inaccuracy of the title, so don't know what was said. That instinct keeps me away from a lot of crap on the net, but it may have a mistake in this case.

As I said, I have a very low BS threshold.

Oldest railroad is probably B&O as far as they are concerned?
That would be riding the MARC Camden Line from Camden Station to St. Denis, as the rest of the original B&O line west of there serves only freight. That section opened in 1830, connecting Ellicott City with Baltimore. The line didn't reach Point of Rocks until 1832, and didn't get to Harpers Ferry until 1836. The rest of the MARC Camden Line, known to B&O as the Washington Branch and to CSX as the Capital Subdivision, opened in 1835, and was partially funded by the State of Maryland. The Metropolitan Branch, which the Capitol Limited uses between Washington and Point of Rocks, didn't open until after the Civil War, in 1873.

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum - I wasn't sure where to post it.

Yes, he explains using the ferry for part of the trip. That said, he is very enthusiastic about rail travel while still including/mentioning some of the pitfalls of the Amtrak system

All-in-all, I found it to be a fairly entertaining video and look forward to the rest of his series

Has to be BS. There is no physical rail connection between Alaska and the rest of the North American rail network, let alone passenger service. The closest rail served station to Alaska is Prince Rupert, BC

I hate BS.
There has been a proposal, for almost 100 years, to construct a rail line from Alaska to Alberta, Canada. They say that the "A2A" (Alaska to Alberta) would provide the fastest shipping for goods, from the Orient, to North America. The cost, at least to me, doesn't seem extravagant If the A2A does come into being, could a passenger train run on its tracks?

https://is.gd/X3DUjQ

There has been a proposal, for almost 100 years, to construct a rail line from Alaska to Alberta, Canada. They say that the "A2A" (Alaska to Alberta) would provide the fastest shipping for goods, from the Orient, to North America. The cost, at least to me, doesn't seem extravagant If the A2A does come into being, could a passenger train run on its tracks?

https://is.gd/X3DUjQ
There's a lengthy thread on AU on this very subject when it was revived a couple of years ago. It seemed at the time those proposing construction were grossly underestimating actual costs and operational difficulties.

Oldest railroad is probably B&O as far as they are concerned?
From the preview at the end of the first episode, it looks like he is talking about the Strassburg Railroad as the "oldest" railroad. He's also not talking trains directly across the country as indicated on a map in the episode. He seems to detour to the Durango and Silverton and is not talking a train from L.A. to the Alaska ship. The series isn't a literal train trip from Key West (!) to Alaska, but it looks to be enteraining.

From a look at the map on this latest episode, it looks like he's heading to the Mount Washington cog railway in New Hapshire, the Durango and Silverton and the Texas Eagle/Sunset from Chicago to L.A., and will then catch the Alaska Marine Highway ship in Washington. So, it's not a direct train ride from Miami to Alaska. The guy sure seems to enjoy riding trains.

I don't think he's letting facts get in the way of an entertaining presentation.

Exactly!

When I want facts, I watch Simply Railway or Jeb Brooks videos.

When I need something to motivate me to get off the couch and start moving, I watch Michael Downie. He did a series across Canada, stopping in every province, that was very enjoyable. I watch him with a grain of salt and to just enjoy being entertained and maybe, if I’m lucky, absorb some of that energy!

Last edited:
I love seeing a combination of trains I have been on (like brightline) and some I won’t ever go on but wish I could (like the Cog Railway—I’m terrified of heights).

(I am looking forward to new prescription reading glasses coming in soon so I can watch these all the way through —at the moment, I’m relying on distance glasses for everything, so am allowing myself just a snippet here and there to avoid eye strain.)

I keep planning to go back and look at some of his Canada videos, but then he comes along with something new like this and I get caught up in his next adventure!

And what a Sad Sight it is now compared to what it used to be and the other Western LD Trains!🥺

Hey Jim,

I’ll bet you a coffee when I see you next (Gathering in the East? Or maybe before?) that this kid will find something to be cheerful about even on the Eaglet!

I’d make it lunch, but know I’ll win so don’t want to take advantage!😁

Last edited:
Back