Talgo High Speed Diesel Train Hits 157.5 MPH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
A high-speed Talgo train traveling between Madrid and Barcelona, Spain, recently was clocked at 157.5 mph, according to a prepared statement issued Nov. 15 by Voith Turbo GmbH & Co. KG, which supplied the diesel engine's turbo transmission.
You can view the whole story from Progressive Railroading.com here.

Alan, the question though is this, is the locomotive acceptable under FRA standards. As you may know the JetTrain locomotive was designed jointly by the FRA and Bombardier, therefore it definitely meets the required standards. I know Talgo equiment does not have a current permanent seal of approval from the FRA, and operates under a temporary certificate.

Wasn't that one reason why the Acela Express had to be designed. The FRA would not approve a European High-Speed Train because of their such light weight (which in some ways is better).

battalion51 said:
Alan, the question though is this, is the locomotive acceptable under FRA standards. As you may know the JetTrain locomotive was designed jointly by the FRA and Bombardier, therefore it definitely meets the required standards. I know Talgo equiment does not have a current permanent seal of approval from the FRA, and operates under a temporary certificate.
Chief,

I honestly don't know, if the new high-speed Talgo engine meets FRA standards.

It should also be noted however, that the standards aren't so much for the engine as they are for the cars of the train. Remember that most commuter trains only have an engine at one end, with a cab car at the other end. Therefore it's the cars that must meet FRA specs, and not so much the engine. The standards are designed to protect the passengers on the train.

You are right that the Talgo's in use on the Cascades service don't meet FRA standards. However if memory serves, this is due in part to the fact that the FRA changed the standards after the trains were ordered. The trains did meet the FRA standards in place at the time they were ordered. It's for this reason that Amtrak & the state of Washington have been able to obtain a waiver from the FRA.

I do know that Talgo has since stated that its cars can be made to FRA standards. So I would have to believe that any cars that they might pair with the new engines would indeed meet or exceed FRA standards.

Amfleet,

This was indeed one of the reasons used as a reason to build the all-new Acela however; I'm not so sure that it was completely valid. Either way, it was the European cars that didn't meet FRA standard and not the engines.

Now THIS is the train we need from L.A. to Las Vegas! With a disatnce of just about 270 miles between the two cities, what would the travel time on the train be.... just about 2 HOURS? Bye-bye L.A. to Vegas airplanes. Hello Amtrak! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back