Talgo Trainsets to California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talgos don't actually have level boarding at low platforms (they're sort of "mid-level"), so I think they'll still be fooling around with wheelchair lifts. Should still be faster boarding than the Horizon/Amfleet set.

The Horizons and Amfleets will probably *initially* go to pad out the San Joaquins, but as soon as they get the bilevels, the Horizons and Amfleets are heading east. I'm sure they'll find use on the east coast, which can always use more Amfleets (and they'll find some way to retrofit the Horizons).

Last edited by a moderator:
They used one of these on Train 592. I saw it near Fullerton around 8:55. Took me awhile to figure out what it was since it was dark.

And don't expect to see them in Calif until 2017, if then.

And don't expect to see them outside the LA-SLO corridor.

Ah OK So just maintain current service but faster, and no through running for SLO trains to San Diego. makes sense
The release says the equipment enables time savings of 25 minutes.

To look at it pedantically, that's not the same as promising schedules will actually be shaved by that much.

Possibly some of that time could end up as extra padding.

No as of last week the Talgo are still in Indiana. Cost of the maintenance contract is a sticking point.

Talgo have a on board service rider, and in-house maintenance.

If your running Talgo solo then the cost should be reasonable. However it sticks out if you can't share cost with other equipment. That said Talgo will maintain other equipment makers products. So if Talgo is doing all your maintenance your overal cost should be good. On two train sets it going to stick out a bit.

The sets are being (or are going to be) worked on by Talgo in Milwaukee preparing them for California.
These 2 trainsets were moved out of Milwaukee to AMTRAK Beech Grove shops last year. Not sure what the status of Talgo vs State of WI lawsuit is. There may have been a settlement that allowed the trains to be moved out of state. Sure hope that Talgo got all the money owed to them

Last edited by a moderator:
The sets are being (or are going to be) worked on by Talgo in Milwaukee preparing them for California.
These 2 trainsets were moved out of Milwaukee to AMTRAK Beech Grove shops last year. Not sure what the status of Talgo vs State of WI lawsuit is. There may have been a settlement that allowed the trains to be moved out of state. Sure hope that Talgo got all the money owed to them
The Talgo sets were moved to Beech Grove in 2014.

Talgo and Wisconsin settled the lawsuit two years ago. Talgo sued claiming $65.9 million in damages. They settled for $9.75 million.

Back