Taxi availability at Salt Lake City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
We will arrive Salt Lake City on the California Zephyr, scheduled at 3:05am.

Does anyone know if there are usually taxis meeting the train or if there is

a taxi stand nearby? Thanks.

We will arrive Salt Lake City on the California Zephyr, scheduled at 3:05am.Does anyone know if there are usually taxis meeting the train or if there is

a taxi stand nearby? Thanks.
Shall I have my daughter & SIL pick you up? Oh, wait, they're still in DE/CA respectively. And I doubt they'd want to wake the baby at that time of night. :D

When I took the CZ in 2011 to visit them, I got off in Provo (was westbound, so the timing was a bit better) which was about 15 minutes from their apt (and they didn't have the baby then).

Enjoy your trip!

In 2011 I arrived on the westbound at 12"30 am. There were no taxis. The station agent called one, and I stood out on the corner for over half an hour, said to hell with it, and walked over a mile to Little America, which I did not particularly enjoy. If you are going to a hotel, may I suggest you book one that is close to the station. That is what I would do should I take the train again to SLC. Good luck.

I don't believe there is a taxi stand. I'll double-check this weekend. You could call a cab but don't be surprised if you end up waiting a while.

It may be better to call one of the cab companies in advance and see if you can schedule a pick up. That has worked much better for us in the past. Make sure you look at the map of the station so you can tell them where to find you.

I don't remember a taxi stand, and last summer we waited close to an hour for a cab after we called. It was early morning, finally another cab company drove by and we flagged the guy down.

Arrived on the eastbound CZ early in the morning in November 2010. The station agent called a taxi for me. It did take about 40 minutes before he showed up. The cabbie did come into the station to let us know he was there. It was $20 to the airport to rent a car to go to Green River.

I couldn't get a car rented before sunup anyway.

The TRAX station is next to the Amtrak station if you can hang around until they start the first run.

Sign on the outside of the Amtrak station at the SLC Intermodal Hub. A few interesting things:

1 - Couldn't find any other taxi signs. This sign points you toward the pickup / dropoff area between the Greyhound station and the tracks. No official taxi stand.

2 - The power was out at this location. The electronic signs weren't functioning, the payment kiosks were off. The overhead lights were out. So it is possible I missed something.

3 - The Yellow Cab taxi company is about a block south of the Amtrak station. If you're going to call a cab I would call them.

Amtrak-SLC-Taxi.jpg

Thank you for your information on taxi availability.

I have arranged for a car to meet us through our hotel.

As a backup, the Yellow Cab advertises 24 hour service.

Dick it is a good idea to plan ahead. Taxi service late at night in SLC is quite suspect. We almost missed our eastbound train last September because the taxi called by the hotel never showed up. Luckily we had a great hotel desk clerk who got her van at 2am and took us over to the Amtrak station. She said you cannot rely on cab service early in the morning--. Many hotels offer shuttle service to the airport but will take you to the Amtrak station as well.

The cab stand is over by the Greyhound Bus terminal and there was one cab there when we got off the westbound train at 11:30am but he had a fare and never returned. Luckily the Trax train was sitting there and the conductor helped us with our luggage and he took us to our hotel which was on the trolley line near Temple Square. But there are no trains on the Blue Line between midnight and 6am.

Yellow Cab is the only company with better recommendations among the SLC cabs, but still not sure how reliable they are. ??

I used Yellow cab for my westbound SLC arrival last July. Called them a day or 2 ahead of time, then called again enroute with an ETA, and again about 5 minutes before arrival. They were there when I got off the train. I'd use them again.

I used Yellow cab for my westbound SLC arrival last July. Called them a day or 2 ahead of time, then called again enroute with an ETA, and again about 5 minutes before arrival. They were there when I got off the train. I'd use them again.
Thank you. I plan to use Yellow Cab as you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back