Tehachapi Detour!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tehachapi is something that is fairly but not extremely rare. It seems to come about as often as an Olympic games or lunar eclipse - every few years. It used to much rarer and could become more rare in the future if Anderson has his way.
I've never seen it by train. About a decade ago my spouse, looking at the map, suggested as an alternative to driving through LA on our way back to Arizona, taking the road from Bakersfield to Barstow, to Flagstaff, to Phoenix. Tehachapi was an amazing sight to us, one I've always wished since that I could see from a train.

Booked!

I spoke to Amtrak reservations today, and the nice agent confirmed that they are indeed detouring northbound on the 28th. She said the reason that there is no advisory is that thru passengers will "not be affected"...

So I am taking a chance and flying out to try once again for this trip on No. 14 from Los Angeles to Oakland on the 28th...

Anyone else going?
default_smile.png

This has probably been discussed here before, (I can't figure out how to use 'search' to find it), but I am looking for suggestions on how to get a jump on getting a Sightseer Lounge seat...

Usual method of engaging a Red Cap, apply here for early boarding?

Appreciate any suggestions....

Booked!

I spoke to Amtrak reservations today, and the nice agent confirmed that they are indeed detouring northbound on the 28th. She said the reason that there is no advisory is that thru passengers will "not be affected"...

So I am taking a chance and flying out to try once again for this trip on No. 14 from Los Angeles to Oakland on the 28th...

Anyone else going?
default_smile.png
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a commitment on the 28th.

Please take pictures!

This has probably been discussed here before, (I can't figure out how to use 'search' to find it), but I am looking for suggestions on how to get a jump on getting a Sightseer Lounge seat...

Head over during meal hours or ‘in the wee hours of the morning’. Pax can’t reserve seats, so if a seat is empty you can take it. If another passenger says that a seat is reserved and refuses to let you sit, tell a staff member. That’s the main stuff.

Head over during meal hours or ‘in the wee hours of the morning’. Pax can’t reserve seats, so if a seat is empty you can take it. If another passenger says that a seat is reserved and refuses to let you sit, tell a staff member. That’s the main stuff.
That would work southbound, perhaps, but I am boarding in LA....

I don't think that late April is a busy period and the detour should actually result in less passengers, not more, so I doubt you will have any difficulty finding a seat if you go there as soon as your ticket is scanned.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think that late April is a busy period and the detour should actually result in less passengers, not more, so I doubt you will have any difficulty finding a seat if you go there as soon as your ticket is scanned.
Thanks...sounds promising...do you have to wait at your seat until ticket is scanned, or can you move freely into the lounge, and get your ticket scanned in there?

Thanks...sounds promising...do you have to wait at your seat until ticket is scanned, or can you move freely into the lounge, and get your ticket scanned in there?
Generally you have to wait at your seat, but if you happen get your ticket scanned as you board (not particularly uncommon), head straight to the SSL.

Sunny skies forecast for southern California on the 28th and 29th, so the detour will not likely be postponed for any weather reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunny skies forecast for southern California on the 28th and 29th, so the detour will not likely be postponed for any weather reasons.
Now that sounds encouraging....thanks!

Now I have to find an economic place to stay on the 27th in LA....either near the airport, or the station. I would prefer being near the station, to avoid any stress in the morning, getting from one to the other...
default_smile.png

I have a ticket booked for one of the days that may detour. Fingers crossed we go through the Central Valley and not down the dramatic Coast Route.
"Regular" passenger's would be upset over the detour....
default_wink.png

I suppose you are riding southbound? Or perhaps round trip?

I just got a customer service alert for my upcoming trip on the Starlight. The southbound (at least) will be detouring over Tehachapi 4/27-4/29. I am on the southbound leaving Seattle 4/27, so will detour 4/28.

Any one the "UP trackwork" on the Coast line that is causing the detour. This seems kind of last minute.

Sounds to me like the OP is riding northbound on the 28th
"OP", meaning the original poster?
default_wink.png

Received this e-mail just now from Amtrak:

"Due to track work, the Coast Starlight will be rerouted April 27 through April 29 The reroute will run in both directions between Oakland and Los Angeles. The train will run through the San Joaquin Valley, instead of along the coast, traveling through the historic Tehachapi Loop. Departure and arrival times will remain the same. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

I guess that makes it Official. Last chance if anybody still wants to get on-board!

Back