Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My avatar is the waiting shelter at the Amtrak station in Chemult Oregon. Very few people actually use it. People either wait in their car until the scheduled time for the train and then wander up to the platform or they ride the bus that comes south from Redmond with stops in Bend, Sunriver(if necessary) and LaPine.
If the train is running late, they will spend some extra time in LaPine. The bus driver is good about letting people sit on the bus until it is time to unload the luggage.

Great avatar! The Chemult region is where the cascades give way to the prairies and desert of Central Oregon... been there many times on car trips and of course visited the little Amtrak station.
1200px-Chemult_Amtrak_Station_2012.jpg
Where it's happening in Chemult.jpg

large_968f44df3cb3c7ae0db86b5621c68269.jpg

Running to catch the 20th Century Limited to Chicago with intentions gliding along and sipping Manhattans in the observation car lounge as the skyscrapers of NYC fade into the distance. Only a dream of course... but reliving it often and glad to have a chance to share it with other rail enthusiasts on the AU forum.

Believe me! This is no fish story... these really are the ones that got away! :rolleyes: :oops::rolleyes:

View attachment 20156

View attachment 20157

View attachment 20158
Always sorry I never got to walk down the Red Carpet @ GCT to my Bedroom on the 20th Century!

Always sorry I never got to walk down the Red Carpet @ GCT to my Bedroom on the 20th Century!
I used to watch it depart... usually from Track 34. Loved its rear obs lounge, with the Century illuminated drumhead, and the vase of flowers in the rear window...

By the time I got to ride it, it had become ā€œThe train with no nameā€, (No. 63 ran closest to its old schedule)....

I used to watch it depart... usually from Track 34. Loved its rear obs lounge, with the Century illuminated drumhead, and the vase of flowers in the rear window...

By the time I got to ride it, it had become ā€œThe train with no nameā€, (No. 63 ran closest to its old schedule)....
The only Trains I got to ride out of GCT were the New Haven RR ones to New London,Conneticut where I was stationed while in the Navy.

Like I said... it's one of the many 'big ones' that got away ... unless someone comes up with a time machine that can turn back the clock!

Sooooo... technology takes a stab at bringing back the golden age...

Yikes... there's more! How fascinating is the 20th Century Limited! I might have seen one of these in my 2nd grade classroom in Schenectady as the class was preparing to take the excursion train trip on the New York Central [local train] between SCY and ALB. What memories these bring back! šŸ˜‡

šŸ¤“My bad, didn't notice the date! He's really a great kid, hope hes doing well and we will see him again on the avenue!( maybe @ the New Amtrak Hall @ NYP for the Gathering!:cool:)

I bump up this thread due to the fact the last post in this channel was from a death notice of a member that I knew. Itā€™s hard getting reminded of all the people that I have met over the years and how some are not here anymore.

Like I said... it's one of the many 'big ones' that got away ... unless someone comes up with a time machine that can turn back the clock!

Sooooo... technology takes a stab at bringing back the golden age...

Thanks for sharing.!šŸ˜Ž

The only smsll point I'll make is that the Scenery on the Right- Aways doesnt seem right for the New Yotk Central. More like the Praries or Dessert, reminds me of the Santa Fe routes!

Running to catch the 20th Century Limited to Chicago with intentions gliding along and sipping Manhattans in the observation car lounge as the skyscrapers of NYC fade into the distance. Only a dream of course... but reliving it often and glad to have a chance to share it with other rail enthusiasts on the AU forum.

Believe me! This is no fish story... these really are the ones that got away! :rolleyes: :oops::rolleyes:

View attachment 20156

View attachment 20157

View attachment 20158
I had not seen that last image until now. That's right up there with the Coke Christmas ads.šŸ‘

That youtube video had a link to this one....worth watching...

Absolutely! The 20th Century Limited will live on for ever... in our dreams, and in our hopes of once again recapturing the past. But I want to add this memory recaptured by someone else but indelibly part of my own memories of when visiting my grandma on the Lower East Side... taking the bus through Manhattan from Grand Central station. You gotta love this flick! But regardless, I sure do!šŸ˜

I honestly haven't partially because I can't find the charging cord to my camcorder (it's been seven years), and partially because I prefer still pictures.
This may sound like a random remark but I've been meaning to mention it for a while now. You seem to have the right mix of knowledge, access, and adventure that could work very well in a social media sense. Obviously there are other factors that will influence the result but it might be worth a try just to see how it goes and how people respond. Any recent smart phone should be enough for creating content and if you prefer stills maybe do Ken Burns style video?

This may sound like a random remark but I've been meaning to mention it for a while now. You seem to have the right mix of knowledge, access, and adventure that could work very well in a social media sense. Obviously there are other factors that will influence the result but it might be worth a try just to see how it goes and how people respond. Any recent smart phone should be enough for creating content and if you prefer stills maybe do Ken Burns style video?

Thank you so much for that actually. You are right I do have the right mix of several things to make it work. I'm thinking when I take the Trans Siberian I would definitely want to do one because there is not a lot of good source material for people using the public normal Inter-City trains. I should definitely practice and refine it here though.

Mine was taken at a party many years ago. I like it because I had no idea my friend was about to take a picture, so the look on my face is genuine.

People who know me well recognize it as the look I get either shortly before or after I make a smarta** remark. In the full version, my friend (cut off on the left side of the picture) is laughing.

Back