Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the larger version of my photo -

945341_10200841869505280_1754379214_n.jpg

Mine is a photo I took on one of our earlier trips on the Crescent. It's a photo of the front of the Anniston, AL, Amtrak station. It still says "Southern Railway" (love it!) and is one of those cool old stations. It's our preferred departure point although Atlanta is closer.
Here's a confession - I was trying to figure out what station your photo was of and that's what prompted me to start this thread!

You tell me. :p
At the risk of turning this into 'Name That Station', I'd say it looks like the Amtrak Station in Whitefish, MT.

Why Whitefish?
I just like the look....I used to live in Kalispell and have been all over Montana...btw, I went to school in western NC! Will see that station in person on Sunday evening.
I'm curious which school in WNC....... and hope you have a nice trip on the Empire Builder.

Mine is pretty obvious. I took a picture of the Amtrak station sign for Ocala just before it came down in, I think, 2010. Last steel wheels carrying passengers nearly 9 years ago, and now we're just an Ambus station. No more Amtrak ticket agent either. Glad I got the picture before they destroyed the sign.

Mine is pretty obvious. I took a picture of the Amtrak station sign for Ocala just before it came down in, I think, 2010. Last steel wheels carrying passengers nearly 9 years ago, and now we're just an Ambus station. No more Amtrak ticket agent either. Glad I got the picture before they destroyed the sign.
Next time just grab the whole sign and throw it in the trunk or strap it to the roof. :lol:

Mine is of me outside the Southwest Chief in Albuquirky NM. My wife insisted on taking the photo even though I thought I looked too thin and over dressed.

Mine shows my granddaughter and me riding on the Sacramento River Train a few years ago. We were in the open-air car. I think she was about 4 or 5 then. She's 11 now and has become as crazy about trains as I am. Once in awhile I will take a short trip without her, and it seems strange to go to the cafe car without buying skittles!

A closeup of a lapel pin I purchased at the gift shop inside LAUPT sometime in the late '80s. I'm not sure if it is a design that has ever been officially used for the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full size:

[photo removed for privacy]

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.

My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.
My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.
Awww. :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!

[photo removed for privacy]

Mine rotates among various RR heralds or name train drumheads as the fancy strikes me. Most of this month, my avatar has been the herald of the old Tennessee Central Ry. that operated primarily from Nashville east towards Crossville, Tenn.

Awww. :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!
I think that's a quite lovely photo. Nothing wrong with those eyes, if I may say so. :hi:

MODERATOR NOTE: photo removed by request

Aloha

Mine is just a stock herald of the Pennsylvania RR until I find and digitize a picture of me on the GG-1 4800 in Strasbourg. A worker at the museum gave permission and took the picture..

mine is the logo for a friends fictional commuter railroad that I designed (the logo, not the railroad). The company is South Bay Commuter Express, which is based in a fictional San Francisco esque area.

peter

Mine rotates among various RR heralds or name train drumheads as the fancy strikes me. Most of this month, my avatar has been the herald of the old Tennessee Central Ry. that operated primarily from Nashville east towards Crossville, Tenn.
I'm too young to remember the TC BUT I do remember the TC's route still being intact between Nashville and Harriman while making regular trips across I-40 from Asheville, NC to Memphis in the mid-1980's. By the time I was in the Army stationed Ft. Campbell, KY in the early 1990's the middle portion between Cookeville and Crossville had been severed.

FWIW - I have ridden (in dome) one of the excursions the TC Museum in Nashville operated from Nashville to Cookeville....... a really splendid train ride.

Mine’s a CN GMD NF-110 locomotive on display in St. John’s that once hauled the narrow-gauge “Caribou” (a.k.a. “Newfie Bullet”) passenger train the 550 miles across the Island of Newfoundland........A train I wish I had got to ride!

IMG_0252.JPG

Back