Temporary service changes between ALB and SDY (July-August 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone asked earlier about CDTA, ... it might be relevant to someone who's trying to get to central or western New York and can't get there.

The problem is, the CDTA trip planner wants you to use Empire Service to get between the two stations, which is, or course, no help at all, so you have to break up the trips to figure out the bus route.
Google Maps shows the bus routes when you select Transit as the travel mode.

How will they run Saturday's 63 if one of 2 Maple Leaf train sets is east of Rensselaer ?
They could improvise using a regular Empire Service set that is stuck in upstate, no?

The Ethan Allen is wye'd at Rutland. Engine one end.
Yup. It *was* wyed in Rutland. The question is what do they do in Burlington.

So, they're running it around the wye with everyone aboard?
I thought they put an engine at each end so that they don't have to wye in Rutland. The lay of the land is such that they have to reverse directions in Rutland AFAIK. Am I remembering incorrectly?

I thought they put an engine at each end so that they don't have to wye in Rutland. The lay of the land is such that they have to reverse directions in Rutland AFAIK. Am I remembering incorrectly?
I saw on FB yesterday mention of two engines / push-pull mode. Which is why they were able to run it to Sarasota Springs and back.

Amtrak is going to need to service these stranded trains.
Spmepne on trains site made a suggestion that equipment be pushed by building empty.

1. It can of course have just an engineer take equipment by the building.

2. Have a loco push equipment by building. Stop push by manned loco and have loco on other side then pull equipment by building. Amtrak could use a bunch of MOW light weight cars to be used as idler cars.

3. More high tech. Just lease a couple of DPU equipped locos attach one to equipment and have other move 1st loco by building using the DPU function. IMO this not really best option.

4. Have CSX move quipment at very high cost that would have equipment unavailable for any servicing at long periods of time.

What is wrong with simply moving them through Selkirk from Hoffmans to the connection to the Hudson line at Schodack's Landing (Stuyvesant) or even to the Road? Why should it take a long time or cost a lot?

Post Road would make more sense for movements to/from the Rensselaer maintenance base where the Empire Service fleet is maintained.

Last edited:
There plenty of options. Just need to pick one, and roll with it. This of course requires someone to make a decision, and be held accountable for it.

At the very least the financial cost of said decision. Risk management vs the cost to migration of said risk.

After consulting with a helpful (to the extent possible) agent on Amtrak's phone line just now, we just cancelled our entire Portland OR to Brunswick ME round trip itinerary. The uncertainties have just piled up too high with incredible Empire Builder delays, extended track work east of Albany, warehouse shedding pieces in Albany, and lack of information on bus arrival time in BOS. I'd give a lot to avoid flying, but there's a limit.

We've done Boston to Portland OR several times in the past (in coach!) and enjoyed it. We even arrived ten minutes early in PDX once. I hope we'll do this round trip sometime in the future,but not this year.

wonder why the bussing isnt between schenectady and albany, and not saratoga springs. allows people to ride the train the furthest distance. maybe someone at amtrak is friends with a bus company in saratoga springs.

wonder why the bussing isnt between schenectady and albany, and not saratoga springs. allows people to ride the train the furthest distance. maybe someone at amtrak is friends with a bus company in saratoga springs.
I am not sure, but it may have something to do with conflict with Lake Shore Limited's arrival in Schenectady and the turning of it to make ready for evening departure.

Rumor has it that after Amtrak crews are qualified on the Selkirk Division of CSX trains may start operating via Post Road from ALB to CSX and then across the Hoffmans and onto the west and vice versa, as incidentally I had suggested a few posts back. It is not clear whether this will be used only for equipment moves or for revenue service yet.

Last edited:
For revenue service the Selkirk route would need to be 100% PTC compliant .
Yeah. My earlier comment was regarding equipment move to get the west of Albany equipment to The Rensselaer maintenance base and back. I don't know how much of the Selkirk route is PTC and how much is not. Possibly the portion through the yard is not, but that is also low speed limit. Anyhow, no point in speculating. We'll know within a few days.

You can run a passenger train on a route not PTC equipped, provided you run it slow enough ;)

Last edited:
guaranteed the yard is not, so any route would need to have all switches involved spiked for Revenue service of Passenger trains .
That is why I am doubtful about revenue service even thought the learned folks on TO seem yo be hinting at such. ;)

This situation may take a long time to resolve. The building owner is quite litigious and will oppose any attempt by the city to demolish the structure. And he doesn't seem to have the assets or the inclination to fix the building either.

Does any freight traffic use the tracks that are now closed down?
Mostly locals serving area industry as far as I know. Not sure about through freight trains to CP's former D&H.

CSX'S freight main splits off at Hoffmans, west of Schenectady and heads to Selkirk Yard.

Amtrak dispatches east of Hoffmans, although at least some of it is still technically CSX owned.

CSX'S freight main splits off at Hoffmans, west of Schenectady and heads to Selkirk Yard
Amtrak dispatches east of Hoffmans, although at least some of it is still technically CSX owned.
CSX owned but leased to Amtrak via NYSDOT for 49 years AFAIR Hoffmans to Poughkeepsie. That segment is now maintained including signaling system and PTC and dispatched by Amtrak. AFAIR PTC on it is ACSES and the whole thing is dispatched out of the New York CTEC Center, but from a non-CTEC desk.

Last edited:
I got 2 phone calls and duplicative emails in the last hour.

The first one said Monday's train 290 will have a service disruption enroute, but I do not have to do anything.

The second message said ignore the first message. It was sent erroneously. Train 290 will run normally on Monday.

From that, it could mean the equipment may run through to NYC on detours, or run by that building.

So, I haven't the slightest idea what they plan to do.

Back