Texas HSR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar high-speed rail projects around the world have faced substantial cost overruns in development.
This is a weasel statement if there ever was one.

I don't think there is any type of construction project for which you cannot find examples of cost overruns. Or military spending projects for that matter. Or any type of investment, be it public or private.

My point wasn't that eminent domain isn't impossible in Texas, it's that if they do it, they have a cultural norm to pay the property owner the fair market price. There might well be cases of corruption where the property owner gets the shaft, but those are violating the cultural norms that the locals strongly care about.
It’s not a cultural norm, it’s the US Constitution. All states pay fair market value, and as practical matter, usually more because the litigation can be very favorable to property owners. I suspect Texas law mirrors the laws of other states. Interestingly, in most states, transportation improvements have a faster timeline and are more lenient on the condemner. This is to not hold up highway projects with challenges. Usually the only permissible issue in transportation cases is the amount of compensation. This isn’t legal advice, but I practiced in this area of law for many years. It’s an interesting area. Good plaintiff’s attorneys can make a lot of money.

An interesting report from Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...sources-say-2024-04-09/?utm_source=reddit.com
TOKYO/WASHINGTON, April 9 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden is seeking to revive interest in a plan to build the first high-speed rail in the U. S. using Japanese bullet trains, with sources saying he is likely to discuss the project with Japan's prime minister in Washington this week.
The leaders may publicly voice support for the multi-billion-dollar Texas project after Wednesday's talks, which have been partly overshadowed by U.S. opposition to another Japanese investment, Nippon Steel's planned purchase of U.S. Steel.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida's state visit to Washington, the first by a Japanese leader in nine years, aims to showcase closer security and economic ties between the allies.
The project linking Dallas and Houston will be on the agenda for the talks, said three sources familiar with summit preparations, who sought anonymity as they were not allowed to speak to the media.
It is likely to be mentioned in joint statements following the talks, two of the sources said.

Back