Texas Central Railway

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

printman2000

Conductor
If the Texas Rail is to succeed, the connection points at city centers need to be convenient for incoming passengers to step across the track and get the local to just about anywhere. Dallas has this but as you can see in the pic below, Houston's Amtrak Station is in an industrial wasteland.

View attachment 17759
I could be wrong, but I do not think that they are planning to use the Amtrak station in Houston for HSR. It is planned to use an area in the 290/610 interchange.

20th Century Rider

Lead Service Attendant
I could be wrong, but I do not think that they are planning to use the Amtrak station in Houston for HSR. It is planned to use an area in the 290/610 interchange.
It will be interesting to see what actually happens; with hopefully a cooperative effort between government agencies and the private sector. Deep back in my mind I am thinking progress inevitable, given the need for alternative high speed transportation, and a precedent which has been set by other developed countries.

saxman

Conductor
Gathering Team Member
To drive more ridership, you’d need more people to want to be in Texas. Few are so crazy.
Well percentage wise, Texas is the second fastest growing state in the country so lots of crazy folk going there.

While endpoint connections are important, Texas Central plans to be more like an airline and capture the huge business market between DFW and Houston. They are not really planning on having huge connections from Amtrak's slow LD trains, even though Amtrak will do the ticketing for them. They are really planning on partnering with Lyft for last mile transportation. In Dallas, it'll be easier to hop on DART, but DART only goes so many places. Many will just opt for Uber/Lyft just like they do at many airports with poor transit connections. It's a shame, because Uber/Lyft has been proven to worsen traffic congestion and reduces transit use. While DFW has made great strides in light/commuter rail expansion, its coverage is still skeletal to the area at best. The Metroplex is 6 million people and covers an area larger than Connecticut and rail transit only covers a tiny portion of that.

Houston's terminus will be near 610/290 at the Galleria area. It's somewhat close to downtown. It'll have some bus connections, and there are some long term light rail plans, but again, most people will have to use a car to get the last few miles. Houston's Metro transit is pretty decent within the 610 loop as that is what they are concentrating on.

20th Century Rider

Lead Service Attendant
Well percentage wise, Texas is the second fastest growing state in the country so lots of crazy folk going there.

While endpoint connections are important, Texas Central plans to be more like an airline and capture the huge business market between DFW and Houston. They are not really planning on having huge connections from Amtrak's slow LD trains, even though Amtrak will do the ticketing for them. They are really planning on partnering with Lyft for last mile transportation. In Dallas, it'll be easier to hop on DART, but DART only goes so many places. Many will just opt for Uber/Lyft just like they do at many airports with poor transit connections. It's a shame, because Uber/Lyft has been proven to worsen traffic congestion and reduces transit use. While DFW has made great strides in light/commuter rail expansion, its coverage is still skeletal to the area at best. The Metroplex is 6 million people and covers an area larger than Connecticut and rail transit only covers a tiny portion of that.

Houston's terminus will be near 610/290 at the Galleria area. It's somewhat close to downtown. It'll have some bus connections, and there are some long term light rail plans, but again, most people will have to use a car to get the last few miles. Houston's Metro transit is pretty decent within the 610 loop as that is what they are concentrating on.
Houston has a massive population... and although spread out, so are many other large cities such as LA. I can see Texas Central pairing with Uber and having local transit links at the station to make it work. Folks will be making a choice between driving on the interstate, taking the plane, or going by train. With so many traveling these city pairs any percentages will bring large numbers. If the train is fast, comfortable, and affordable, many will indeed recognize the advantage.;)

jadebenn

Train Attendant
They are not really planning on having huge connections from Amtrak's slow LD trains, even though Amtrak will do the ticketing for them.
Yeah. I think their study (it's in the EIS) predicted something like 20,000 a year from the Amtrak LD trains. That's a drop in the bucket when they're predicting millions of riders overall.

cirdan

Conductor
On past visits to Houston I have riden the bus from downtown to the Galleria and it's really quite OK. It's cheap and it's fast and the driver was friendly and told me where to get off. I wouldn't know what to criticize about it really.

But unfortuantely many people won't be seen dead in a bus so there is an acceptance barrier there.

It's a pity the plans to put a light rail line out that way were put on hold.