Texas Eagle #21/#421( 10/04)Delay in Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to Amtrak.com The Texas Eagle #21/#421 will be Departing Ft. Worth @ 11:55PM tonight ( 10/05) and Arriving into San Antonio @ 5:16am Tues Morning ( 10/06).

I can find No reason why this is occurring, anyone have info???( Amtrak Status Maps show Nothing on #21/#421and there are no Service Disruptions shown)

Last edited:
According to Twitter Amtrak alerts, the Eagle was stopped in Arkansas and delayed on the order of 10 hours due to a broken rail. #21 was terminated in Fort Worth and passengers were bussed to San Antonio.

Whew! Some sanity at least, thats why their is spare equipment in San Antonio. Collect the pax at El Paso.

Whew! Some sanity at least, thats why their is spare equipment in San Antonio. Collect the pax at El Paso.

My recent experience with Amtrak bustitution in Texas, discussed in this thread, was profoundly at odds with Amtrak's stated Covid-prevention policies. Five days later, I'm still worried about whether I'm going to get sick. I'd much rather take a looooong delay on a train than hours on a bus where I'm the only person wearing a mask.

If Amtrak is providing buses, then their mask requirement to board should apply to the bus. I seriously doubt there is anyone from Amtrak who wants to enforce the mask rule on the buses. They want to use as few buses as possible, so masks and distancing go out the window.

If Amtrak is providing buses, then their mask requirement to board should apply to the bus. I seriously doubt there is anyone from Amtrak who wants to enforce the mask rule on the buses. They want to use as few buses as possible, so masks and distancing go out the window.

In the case of my recent bustitution in Texas, none of even the bus DRIVERS wore masks. (One told me: "I don't worry about that" when I asked him "where's your mask.") Amtrak apparently didn't specify that the drivers should wear masks or take any other disease-control measures--and matching the trains' Covid policies certainly should have been something they required on the buses. I've written Amtrak Customer Relations about this and will post an update on this forum when I get a response.

I've written Amtrak Customer Relations about this and will post an update on this forum when I get a response.
I would recommend calling if you have the time. In the case of written communication I've only received vague apologies and boilerplate responses that didn't seem to go anywhere productive. Most of the time I receive nothing at all. I would also suggest asking for a service credit in order to create a paper trail for the next accounting report.

I would recommend calling if you have the time. In the case of written communication I've only received vague apologies and boilerplate responses that didn't seem to go anywhere productive. Most of the time I receive nothing at all. I would also suggest asking for a service credit in order to create a paper trail for the next accounting report.

I've had a different experience from you--every letter I've sent to Amtrak Customer Relations has been answered with a non-boilerplate response. (The letters did include a good bit of what looked like boilerplate, but intermixed with uncanned and specific responses to my own letters.) I prefer writing to calling, partly because I generally do, but also because it does create a paper trail. As with everything Amtrak related, YMMV.

And I did ask for compensation. I'll report back when I hear from them, which will probably take weeks.

I was on that train. A freight train’s engine broke down and blocked the mainline In the early morning. All passengers were later put on 6 or 7 buses at Longview TX, 2 of which went straight to San Antonio station. Another set of sleeper and coach car were added in the consist from there. Ironically the bus took only 7 hours with two 20-mins intermediate rest stop. Our bus driver did mandate mask roles.

Back