Texas Eagle 21 & 421 Roomette Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this board long enough to know the answer. But I'll ask anyway.

Why are the prices of a roomette for TE 21 & 421 different when the destination is Dallas? For Austin, the prices are the same.

The #421 is the thru train to CHI-LAX, LAX-CHI train. Space on the 421 usually cost more . I took a day trip(kinda) a couple of weeks ago from FTW to STL and back and was surprised that roomettes were less expensive both ways on the 421. Why you are getting a different price between Dallas and Austin I don't know. There are others on this forum who surely know.

Due to the limitations of "Arrow" (the reservation system used by Amtrak), each "train" must be sold separately (and thus may have different fares.

The situation is similar to the airlines. (I'm just making up these flight numbers, but you get the idea.) A flight from JFK to Chicago may be listed as United #173, Qantas #2849, US Airways #4573, Lufthansa #6352 and other airline flight numbers. If you call each airline for a seat on the plane, you will very likely get a different fare from each airline! Even though they are all selling a seat on the very same plane! Each "flight" is offered at a different fare.

The rates are based on demand of that car, and how many have been sold already. So if theirs twice as many people wanting to go to California than Texas, the car going to California will have a higher rate just because there are less physical rooms left. They are considered two separate trains in the sense that they take them apart in...San Antonio? and the engine only drives with half the load the rest of the way.

Actually, the locomotives stay in San Antonio. One sleeper and one coach (train #421) are removed from train #21 in San Antonio and hooked to the Sunset Limited to continue to LA.

Thus for all stations between San Antonio and LA, you can book on either train #1 or train #421. And again, they both may show different fares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

I just realized that I didn't state that the origin is Chicago. But the "airline" comparison, as the_traveler made, does make sense.

#421/#422 Sleeper and Coach Generally Costs more than #21/#22 if you are Going to ride West/North of San Antonio since you can Stay on the Train and Sleep without having to Change Cars (1 Coach and 1 Sleeper are Cut Out @ the SAS Station on the Three Days a Week that #1 and #2 Run!) If Changing from #21 to #1 in SAS You have to Get Off the Train and Wait in the Small, Uncomfortable Station to Board #1 and #2 After it Arrives from New Orleans/LAX in the Wee Hours!!

As to why it Costs more to Dallas, Lots of People Board/Deboard in Dallas and Fort Worth (Generally the Fares are the Same To/From Both these Stations) but Lately the Number of Passengers Boarding/Deboarding in Austin has Really Picked Up Resulting in Higher Buckets for these Trains! As Lawyers say, It Depends! Amsnag.net is your Friend as Always! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back