Texas Eagle 22 (9) Re-route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy in TX

Train Attendant
I'm on the Texas Eagle which left SAS 5/8. We were running pretty much on time until Poplar Bluff, then were delayed for approximately 2 hours. Finally started moving and headed east and crossed the Mississippi into Illinois not too far from Cape Girardeau and are now moving generally north in Illinois on our way, I hope, to St. Louis. We have heard there were trees down on the tracks from overnight storms.

I'm not familiar with this area but I know some of you out there will know this route and might tell me if there is something interesting to see. It's raining pretty hard right now and lots of water everywhere.

Quite an adventure!

As you may know (or may not know, few do) Illinois is the most scenic state in the Union with our miles of rich black soil. If you are lucky you'll get (or got to) to see the bluffs along the Mississippi River and some of southern Illinois is quite rolling and wooded.

A fascinating detour IMHO. You will probably recross the Mississippi just before arriving STL. Keep us posted and let us know when you arrive STL. Hope you do not have a tight connection in Chicago

A quick look at the map and an uneducated guess leaves me believing that they crossed the Mississippi near Thebes. And will enter STL crossing the normal bridge, but using the other entrance to the bridge on the Illinois side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old enough to remember the Missouri Pacific Texas Eagle may know if this routing was the norm for this train?

The only time I rode it (boarding in San Marcos @ 5pm to St. Louis) in 1961, this was the routing it followed, including running through Cape Giradeaux after leaving Little Rock. I remember waking up and having breakfast as we rolled along the Mississippi River on the Illinois side, crossing the bridge from East St.Louis and backing up into the still bustling Union Station for an on time 10am arrival.

Memories can play tricks, but this one is pretty clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you may know (or may not know, few do) Illinois is the most scenic state in the Union with our miles of rich black soil. If you are lucky you'll get (or got to) to see the bluffs along the Mississippi River and some of southern Illinois is quite rolling and wooded.
Kinda pushing it a little bit there, aren't you?? :p

Having lived in Illinois [south Chicago Suburbs] for 20 years, I'd say downstate is about the prettiest, alright. But Chicago to Effiingham is a good ride!

A fascinating detour IMHO. You will probably recross the Mississippi just before arriving STL. Keep us posted and let us know when you arrive STL. Hope you do not have a tight connection in Chicago

A quick look at the map and an uneducated guess leaves me believing that they crossed the Mississippi near Thebes. And will enter STL crossing the normal bridge, but using the other entrance to the bridge on the Illinois side.
I recorded the train's route with the MotionX GPS app on my phone. We did cross into Illinois near Thebes and went back across the river with a great view of the arch into St. Louis. I couldn't find a name for the bridge on the recorded track but It was the railroad bridge just south of the Poplar Street bridge. I don't recall backing into the station, although it's possible we did and I've forgotten. After we left the station we backed up two different times, went through the tunnel at the foot of the arch, the traveled north and crossed back into Illinois on the Merchants Bridge, according to the map of the recorded track.
I had already planned to stay overnight with relatives here in Chicago so I wasn't worried about a connection. I'm leaving this evening for Pittsburgh on the Capitol Limited.

I just read the 21(9) derailed in Arkansas. They were already delayed much longer than we were near Poplar Bluff before that happened. The 21(10) may get to SAS before the people who were on the 21(9) get there!

It was a lovely ride! Lots of farmland, most with lots of standing water from all the rain. We traveled alongside the Mississippi for a while and it seemed to be running pretty high.

I'm on the Texas Eagle which left SAS 5/8. We were running pretty much on time until Poplar Bluff, then were delayed for approximately 2 hours. Finally started moving and headed east and crossed the Mississippi into Illinois not too far from Cape Girardeau and are now moving generally north in Illinois on our way, I hope, to St. Louis. We have heard there were trees down on the tracks from overnight storms.

I'm not familiar with this area but I know some of you out there will know this route and might tell me if there is something interesting to see. It's raining pretty hard right now and lots of water everywhere.

Quite an adventure!
I just realized I have a typo here. This should have said we left SAS on 5/9 but I guess you all already figured that out!

Kinda pushing it a little bit there, aren't you?? :p

Having lived in Illinois [south Chicago Suburbs] for 20 years, I'd say downstate is about the prettiest, alright. But Chicago to Effiingham is a good ride!
The moraines around Chicago are really pretty (people don't realize that there is a huge bluff in Lemont) in places and Northwest Illinois - the Galena Territory - is rolling and quite lovely, much like SW Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back