Quantcast

Texas Eagle ~ a puzzle

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

flitcraft

OBS Chief
That said, the Texas Eagle will always hold a sentimental place in my history. ... TE sleeper and the hi-level lounge were even shot at once passing through St. Louis, leaving several bullet holes in the upper glass of the lounge.
Surely this item is misrouted and belongs in the "worst experience on a passenger train" thread? ;)

20th Century Rider

Conductor
Sooo... you can get that bedroom on the Texas Eagle for the 7 hour jaunt from STL to CHI for only $167... includes a cardboard breakfast with a slimy hot sausage sandwich with cold cereal and a small 7 oz flex meal for lunch.

How clean is your room if party just vacated it in St. Louis?
Why are you traveling during the dangerous post holiday covid spread?
What else could you do with $167?
The food review ... same as a roomette which is $109 [price varies]

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.03.51 PM.png

Willbridge

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
I thank that’s all the reason you need to take the TE.

We’ve enjoyed both, but for us the current food offerings make 3 days of the same sound like cruel and unusual punishment. We also enjoy on the SWC the desolate and dramatic scenery of the high plains after the climb up Raton pass. If you do take the SWC, you might consider breaking the trip here- La Castaneda or the one in Winslow restored by the same owners (and a lot more trains to see)- La Posada.
I enjoy the high desert stretch between Las Vegas and Raton in the winter late afternoon. The antelope are usually on the move. I've never caught them on camera but there are plenty of other photo-worthy scenes. On my one trip on the Texas Eagle I did find the sunsets to be attractive. Here are some post-Thanksgiving scenes on the Southwest Chief -- sometimes hard to get because the train is really moving.

The last picture is something good to see at Raton at the end of a long journey.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 227k Arizona morning.jpg

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 244k Desert palette in NM.jpg2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 257k NM approaching Las Vegas.jpg2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 259 (2).jpg

v v

Conductor
AU Supporter
I enjoy the high desert stretch between Las Vegas and Raton in the winter late afternoon. The antelope are usually on the move. I've never caught them on camera but there are plenty of other photo-worthy scenes. On my one trip on the Texas Eagle I did find the sunsets to be attractive. Here are some post-Thanksgiving scenes on the Southwest Chief -- sometimes hard to get because the train is really moving.

The last picture is something good to see at Raton at the end of a long journey.

View attachment 20131

View attachment 20132View attachment 20133View attachment 20135
We too enjoy exactly the same and for reasons unknown have a soft spot for Raton and that area.

jloewen

Train Attendant
After the Missouri Pacific Railroad, Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railway, and Southern Pacific Railroad were absorbed into the Union Pacific conglomerate several yards and interconnecting tracks were disconnected or removed entirely. As a result Amtrak now has to take a very slow and roundabout path to reach the last active station.

I've never taken the CONO myself, so I can't speak from any personal experience, but I believe it's the sister route of the Eagle (same trains) and it didn't sound any more interesting according to the reports I've read. Most of the CONO's character appears to be lost to time and consolidation but some folks still enjoy it.

Living between a smelting operation (now closed but still heavily polluted), a large oil refinery (Chevron/Texaco/Marathon), and a huge shanty town (Juarez) would be tough for me to stomach. Whenever I've had to visit El Paso for business or family matters I struggled to acclimate to the smell and never spent more than a single night before moving on or heading back. My best trip to El Paso was about two hours of business between flights.
I took the CONO maybe five years ago, after an unfortunate menu change (before the boxed meals tho). Namely, they had gone mostly to sandwiches, even tho it was a dining car! And they did not even have the sense to include a muffaletta! Nothing distinctive about the cuisine, and on a train named for the best foodie place in the US!

Willbridge

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
We too enjoy exactly the same and for reasons unknown have a soft spot for Raton and that area.
For quite a while I was a member of the Raton Arts league, so I could leave my baggage with them in the former Railway Express Agency while I went over to one of the restaurants. They make a serious effort at programming so it's worth a visit. On one long wait they opened up the backstage at the restored Shuler Theater so I could get a look at it.

2006 Summer 062.jpg