Texas Eagle (CHI-SAS) Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions that searching in this forum hasn’t produced the answers for. My wife and I will be taking the Texas Eagle from CHI to SAS the end of May. (We have reservations for a bedroom on the TE.)

1. How early before departure time does boarding usually begin?
  2. Does boarding start from the CHI Metro Lounge, or from somewhere else in the station?
  3. Boarding in CHI, will we be able to eat lunch in the dining car, or should we plan to get something in the station/city before boarding?
Thank you.

Hi, welcome to AU firstly.

Secondly as per your questions.

1 Boarding usually begins about 20 minutes or so *estimate* before departure.

2. Since you are in a sleeper, yes, you will board from the Metro Lounge.

3. I doubt you will get lunch on the TE, I would grab something before boarding since Chicago has many great food options.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and if you have more questions, feel free to throw them at us. :)

I have been told that NO TRAIN serves lunch out of CHI. However, I get told many things - some of which are correct :hi:

:hi: Welcome to the Forum, as you'll discover, Lots of Good Info on here, as Rich said Some of it is even True! :giggle: Ya'll may want to have a RedCap take you from the Lounge to the Train since Union Station can get very Cold in the Winter and riding on a Cart and not having to Walk the Kindergarten Walk from the Lounge to the Platform is a Plus! Just let the Desk know youll want a Redcap and theyll announce when those wanting a RedCap should come to the Desk @ the Front of the Lounge!(You'll Board First ahead of the Masses, it's a Long Way to the Sleepers on the Front of the Eagle!))

Very good Investment of $5 IMO! (They are Amtrak Employees but work for Tips!)

The Food Court Upstairs has several Good Places for a Light Lunch (Gold Coast Hot Dogs are Great! :wub: )and Greektown (to the West of Union Station) has Lots of Very Good Joints to Eat! (Al's Beef Sandwiches/Lou Mitchells etc.) If you like Giordanos Pizza theres one just across the River to the East across from the Willis (ne Sears) Tower! Allow more time for this, it takes about 45 Minutes to Cook it but it's Good! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the good (and quick) responses! I have found a LOT of useful and helpful information in this fourm, and appreciate your answers to a few of the questions I couldn't find the answers to.

This will be my first train trip since 1972. (Then it was from Alpine, Texas, to New Orleans.) I rather expect that a lot will have changed since then!

Again, thank you for the reaponses, answers and kind welcome!

I have two questions.

I will be taking the Hiawatha from downtown Milwaukee to Chicago before I go on the TE. Can I check baggage in Milwaukee for the TE on the same day or should I check it the day before? The goal is for my bags to arrive with me in SAS. Or is the best bet to carry it on the Hiawatha and then check it in Chicago? I left plenty of time to enjoy Chicago between the two trains.

Also, can I check it in at SAS on the return trip and have it arrive with me in Milwaukee or should I retrieve my bags in Chicago and then do carry-on the Hiawatha?

I would not be exceeding the carry-on limit for the Hiawatha. Just want to carry on a minimal bag on the TE.

Right now, my Hiawatha and TE reservations are separate. Should I get them connected in case the Hiawatha makes me late on the out trip (probably won't happen since I am taking a very early train) or the TE is extremely late returning to CHI and I miss the last Hiawatha and am stuck in Chicago overnight (not too likely, but quite plausible and potentially expensive!).

Yes, since the Hiawathas have Checked Baggage you should be able to check your Bag(s) from/to Milwaukee to the Station you are riding the Eagle to IF the Arrival Station has Checked Baggage? If you decided to Carry on your Bags in Milwaukee to CHI if you are in a Sleeper on the Eagle you can Day Check them with the RedCap in the Metro Lounge in CHI (Remember to Tip) or Check them to your Destination with Baggage Check in Union Station!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back