Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you will get Dinner, but since the Departure isn't until 7pm, there's no way to know what time your rez will be until you board, but I'd check with the Person @ the Desk in the Metro Lounge when you check in, perhaps they'll make your Dinner Rez there like they do on the Auto Train.??

If not, ask your attendant when you board trainside, they'll know the procedure the Diner LSA uses.

I also suggest that you use a Red Cap from the Lounge, that way you ride on a Cart from the Backdoor of the Lounge to the Platform instead of walking all the way thru the Station and Tunnel to the Platform
Thank you! Our plan is to go to the lounge, check our bags, and we will inquire about dinner rez when we do that, then head down to Traxx for either apps and a cocktail, or early dinner, depending on what the lounge attendant says. Then head back up before 6 for the Red Cap service. We have to take an early Metro in because our area has limited departure times in the afternoon, so will have a few hours at Union Station before the TE departure.

Between Chicago and San Antonio you'll be in either the 421 Coach ( Rear of the Train) or the Single Revenue Sleeper ,( No Transdorm or Sightseer Lounge on the Eaglette) which will be switched to the rear of #1 the Sunset Ltd when it arrives into San Antonio from Houston, generally around 11pm to Midnight.

You will have a different Train Crew from San Antonio Weat since the OBS and Conductors on the Eaglette layover in SAS and go back North the next morning on #22.

Note that the Texas Eaglette only serves Flex Meals to Sleeper Passengers in the Cross Country Cafe between Chicago and Austin ( Combo Diner/Cafe)but the Sunset Lts.has Traditionsl Dinning in the Diner and the Cafe is located in the Lower Level of the Sightseer Lounge.
When I go west, I book from Austin in the sleeper (train 421). I have the option of a flex meal right after getting on, but I have usually repaid my transport-to-station friend with a meal enroute from Bastrop County to the Austin station. So, I forego the flex, fiddle around until bedtime, and wake up to real breakfast in a real diner, somewhere in west Texas.
I can't remember that I've even been awakened by the switching of the cars, I sleep so well on trains.

The main problem for me with the layover from 21 to the Sunset Limited EB is the stale cigarette smoke still embedded in the paint in the waiting room at San Antonio (or, possibly, also embedded in the clothing of the waiting patrons). I would, regardless of the cold, be outside.

The last couple of times I did that trip east, my transport-to-train friend has just taken me to San Antonio in time to get on the train. (We use my truck, and he gets a kick out of driving at 85 mph from I10 to Mustang Ridge.)

Back