Texas Eagle move to TRE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWA is becoming an International Airline and has moved away from their business model of being a regional Airline geared to short to intermediate haul business travelers.( they used to advertise themselves here in Texas as "The Company Plane!"

That being said, Tony's point about the rural landowners between Dallas and Houston and the anti-rail crowd in political office in Texas is very real!

"Just say No!" is a way of life to this bunch if it involves progress or improvements of any kind!

Back to the TRE route.

Is anything about allowing any future Amtrak trains tucked into a subsection of a sub-paragraph in the Agreement?
The project I keep watching in Texas is Lone Star Rail, which has been slow-walking for a long time now. If this commuter line were ever built, it could get the Texas Eagle away from freight all the way from San Antonio to Taylor.
The HSR has significant opposition in the legislature from rural representatives. ...
Lone Star Rail is not HSR. It's the proposal for a commuter/intra-metro corridor service from San Antonio at the southern end, thru Schertz-New Braunfels-San Marcos-Austin-Georgetown to Taylor at the northern end. This freight corridor is extremely busy -- Mexico to the Midwest --and in the old-fashioned way, the tracks run thru the downtowns. That would make good places for stations serving passengers, but it's terrible for drivers when mile-long freights lumber thru at 15 mph. Building new tracks for the freights to by-pass all or part of the San Antonio and Austin metro areas would make sense. Then using the existing tracks for passenger rail makes good sense, too.

The Eagle would greatly benefit from upgrades to the passenger tracks and no more congestion from freights. The current schedule takes 4 hrs ~20 min from exurban Taylor to center city San Antonio southbound (27 mph), and 3 hrs ~20 minutes northbound (35 mph), to cover 117 miles. So we have a LD train between Austin and San Antonio, with over a million population each, their downtown stations a mere 82 miles apart, but it takes about 3 hours to make the run. Don't expect heavy ridership on that segment or the overlapping Dallas-Ft Worth-Austin-San Antonio section either. But it could be lucrative for the Eagle to be part of a Lone Star corridor service, with enuff capital investments for upgrades and a run time of 1 hr 20 min (60 mph) or less.

Now if only Central Texas can get the kind of federal funding that Ft Worth CongressCritters secured for a commuter rail line in that area.

Back to the TRE route.

Is anything about allowing any future Amtrak trains tucked into a subsection of a sub-paragraph in the Agreement?
The project I keep watching in Texas is Lone Star Rail, which has been slow-walking for a long time now. If this commuter line were ever built, it could get the Texas Eagle away from freight all the way from San Antonio to Taylor.
The HSR has significant opposition in the legislature from rural representatives. ...
Lone Star Rail is not HSR. It's the proposal for a commuter/intra-metro corridor service from San Antonio at the southern end, thru Schertz-New Braunfels-San Marcos-Austin-Georgetown to Taylor at the northern end.
I am aware of that. That is why I did not say LSR was HSR.

As for the rest of your post, I agree completely.

I don't thhink Southwest really depends as critically on their Texas operations any more. So they may not care as much this time around.

They like all otehr airlines prefer passengers on longer legs rather than shorter ones, since the longer legs are financially more lucrative.
Maybe they are also coming around to see that in the longer term HSR is inevitable, not just in Texas but on many corridors. Expending a lot of energy on protecting marginally profitable routes may in the long term prove to be tilting at windmills. Good businesses put their energy and money where their future is, not their past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back