Texas Eagle Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

JC_620

Train Attendant
My sincerest apologies if this question has been answered in another post somewhere but...

To clarify, does the Texas Eagle #421#422 operate either with a dining car offering traditional dining, and/or a sightseer lounge car??

We intend to either be out of Maricopa heading north on #422 OR out of Chicago on #421 to Maricopa in November so unsure about the Eagle right now.

Thanks!

zephyr17

Engineer
There is traditional dining and a Sightseer on the Sunset Limited, which has the 421/422 cars west of San Antonio. East of San Antonio, the 421/422 cars are attached to the Texas Eagle and there is only a diner/lounge with Flex dining and no Sightseer.

Personally, I wouldn't ride the Eagle in its current state, which isn't an issue for me since I'd have to go out of my way to do it anyway. However, if I were in the Phoenix metro and wanted a train trip to Chicago, I'd head to Flagstaff and take the Southwest Chief.

Last edited:
I agree with both of the above posters. Although I have to admit the Sunset Limited ride from Maricopa to San Antonio is very nice. Great desert scenery, great track, and especially being able to patronize the “burrito lady” in El Paso. An opportunity so good that I have given up my free meal in the diner for her burritos, yes they are that good!!

Now the kicker is being able to put up with the Texas Eagle and ”flexible dining” or their cafe food between San Antonio and Chicago. If in coach, the food will be very similar to the cafe in the Sightseer Lounge on the Sunset Limited, although the latest info I have is that there is only one attendant in the diner lounge between San Antonio and Fort Worth and the line for cafe food can get VERY long during breakfast and lunch service for sleeper pax. If in a sleeper, the food will go downhill quickly due to flexible dining. I will say the majority of the kitchen staff on 21/22 try there best to make the food palatable, but they only have so much latitude.

JC_620

Train Attendant
Thank you for the replies and the suggestions folks.

Has there been any talk as to when, or if, the diner will return to #421 eventually, this year maybe...this decade even? 🤣
I will not even wish for a return of the Sightseer Lounge...

Thanks!

zephyr17

Engineer
Thank you for the replies and the suggestions folks.

Has there been any talk as to when, or if, the diner will return to #421 eventually, this year maybe...this decade even? 🤣
I will not even wish for a return of the Sightseer Lounge...

Thanks!
Nobody knows...it is in the same silent limbo as the Eastern trains.

It is really 21 and 22 that are at issue. "Train" 421/422 is just a through sleeper and coach that are switched between 1/2 and 21/22. Its separate train number is an artifact of the reservation system.