Texas Eagle Re-Route in Oct./Nov.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I'd been hearing from Amtrak Employees (and now there is a Post on trainorders mentioning it) that the "AmGossip Hotline" has Rumours of #21#421 and #22/#422 being re-Routed in Oct. and Nov. due to Track work by Both BNSF and UP in Texas! Supposedly #21 will have a Bustitution between LGV and FTW for Passengers between LGV and FTW!!

#22/#422 and #21/#421 will be Re-Routed from Austin to Taylor to Hearne to Milano to Longview, the old MP Eagle Route! This will result in a Layover of several Hours in Longview waiting on #21/#421 to arrive since this Route is much Shorter than the Regular AUS-FTW-LGV Route! Not alot going on in Longview! :help:

This is Rare Mileage indeed, I last rode the MP Eagle in 1961 to STL on the Taylor/Milano/Hearne Route so Im hoping that it will be in effect when I leave for the Gathering on Oct. 12 on #22! (The "Short Way" to CHI via Florida! ^_^ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....interesting. I am a sucker for rare mileage detours....I'll have to watch this one and perhaps book it when the dates are confirmed. Thanks for posting it.

I don't know about having to wait on time in Longview for several hours though....often times detour trains encounter all kinds of delays when running a detour route, even a planned one. Waiing around for pilot crews, and whatever....

If this is true, I could go from LVW to Aus on this route?
That's the way I understand it Tony! The Bustitutions will only be LGV-FTW and TPL-LGV, all others would ride the Train on the Detour Route from Taylor to Hearne to Palestine to Longview and Vice Versa! To get Home You'll have to either ride a Bus back to DFW or spend the Night in Austin or San Antonio and ride the Eagle back to Longview the next morning, then a Bus to get back to the Metro Plex!

And speaking of which, Go Rangers!!!! :excl: :excl: :excl:

When will you find out if this will happen? We will be going LAX-ARK, leaving on Oct. 18th.

Hmmm....interesting. I am a sucker for rare mileage detours....I'll have to watch this one and perhaps book it when the dates are confirmed. Thanks for posting it.

I don't know about having to wait on time in Longview for several hours though....often times detour trains encounter all kinds of delays when running a detour route, even a planned one. Waiing around for pilot crews, and whatever....
You could just ride to LGV and get off. Not much to do there though.

Oh wow, any suggestions on how the best way to pull this off coming from HOS?

If I could somehow pull this off in one day (or a day and one late departure) I would def. consider it.

Oh wow, any suggestions on how the best way to pull this off coming from HOS?

If I could somehow pull this off in one day (or a day and one late departure) I would def. consider it.
The Ambus from LGV-HOS doesnt work for you since it only mets #21/#421 coming from CHI! :(

If you want to take more time you could Drive to Longview,(Free Parking and with the Early Start you Beat the Houston Traffic! ;) ) Catch #21/#421 to SAS, spend the Night in SAS, then ride #22/#422 back to LGV the next Morning and Drive Home that Evening! If you could somehow get to Longview withoput Driving you could catch #21/#421 to SAS, then ride #2 to HOS the Next Morning! I didnt suggest spending the Night in Longview but you could ride #1 to SAS, take #22/#422 to LGV, spend the Night and then ride the Ambus to HOS in the morning IF Amtrak allows this??? :unsure:

For me to ride this detour from Taylor to Longview, I would have to fly to either Austin and board there, or Longview. Due to the scheduling, i would have to fly into either one the day before, and then not fly back until the day after....a rather costly excursion with two nights in a hotel......

Since the route does not offer much in the way of scenery,as compared to say Tehachapi, other than the rarity, I will have to think hard about doing it.....

For me to ride this detour from Taylor to Longview, I would have to fly to either Austin and board there, or Longview. Due to the scheduling, i would have to fly into either one the day before, and then not fly back until the day after....a rather costly excursion with two nights in a hotel......

Since the route does not offer much in the way of scenery,as compared to say Tehachapi, other than the rarity, I will have to think hard about doing it.....
In cases like yours I would say that it's not Worth the Expense or the Time involved! Those of us fortunate enough to Live around Central or NE Texas can do it in Coach! The scenery on the Detour isnt that Great in East Texas, but its been Lots of Years since Passenger Trains ran on the Old MoPac Eagle Route from Taylor to Hearne, Palestine, MIlano and Longview!(and its nowHeavily used by UP Freights so the Going Will Be Slow!)

Sorry. Darn phone won't do what I say.

As far as whispering...believe me you don't want me to bring my mom voice in here. ;)

Phone doesn't give me a choice of volume when writing.

That's the way I understand it Tony! The Bustitutions will only be LGV-FTW and TPL-LGV, all others would ride the Train on the Detour Route from Taylor to Hearne to Palestine to Longview and Vice Versa! To get Home You'll have to either ride a Bus back to DFW or spend the Night in Austin or San Antonio and ride the Eagle back to Longview the next morning, then a Bus to get back to the Metro Plex!

Will this be along where the Rusk-Palestine former Texas State Railroad operated?

Hey - in Longview, why not check out the RG LeTourneau Museum at the LeTourneau University campus (my Alma Mater). It'll take all but about 4 1/2 minutes, but it's a quick cab ride down Mobberly Ave. They talk about the innovations of RG LeTourneau including the building of some of the largest earth moving equipment in the world at the time as well as early developments in off-shore oil well derricks. The old downtown is also not a bad cab ride away. You can see the bank where the Dalton Gang had their last robbery. And there is the usual assortment of closed offices, closed coffee shops, closed diners, abandoned apartments and closed chic botiques...

Will this be along where the Rusk-Palestine former Texas State Railroad operated?

Hey - in Longview, why not check out the RG LeTourneau Museum at the LeTourneau University campus (my Alma Mater). It'll take all but about 4 1/2 minutes, but it's a quick cab ride down Mobberly Ave. They talk about the innovations of RG LeTourneau including the building of some of the largest earth moving equipment in the world at the time as well as early developments in off-shore oil well derricks. The old downtown is also not a bad cab ride away. You can see the bank where the Dalton Gang had their last robbery. And there is the usual assortment of closed offices, closed coffee shops, closed diners, abandoned apartments and closed chic botiques...
The Belcher Hall on campus is pretty neat. But if I were in the area for a while, I would ride to Marshall and visit the RR museum at the Amtrak station there.

And BTW, downtown LVW is experiencing a bit of a comeback, not fully, mind you, but there are far more shops open than dark, and there is quite a bit of nitelife there now.

We would fly back to DAL.

No, the Texas State Railroad still runs Excursion Steam Trains between Palestine and Rusk but the Depots are out of Town in both Cities! (It's an Old Prison Rail Line for Timber Hauling, Both Depots are State parks with Camping and Eating Facilities!)The Route the MoPac Eagle took and Texas Eagle will run on goes through Downtown Palestine (and the other Cities on this Route) where there still is the Old MoPac Depot!

Hmm.

I'm within reach of an overnight trip but I'm not really hurting for another journey just yet.

I'm actually about to begin a TPAC trip in 24 hours or so from now and that'll probably take care of me.

That being said, if I were to chase this rare mileage where would y'all recommend to stay on the remote end?

-Chris

Ugh, I really hope this isn't over the Thanksgiving holiday. I get that some of y'all like rare mileage, but for a lot of us dealing with the bustitutions is kind of a cluster. (I normally get on in MIN, if this is in effect over the holiday, I will be changing my reservations to be LVW.)

Ugh, I really hope this isn't over the Thanksgiving holiday. I get that some of y'all like rare mileage, but for a lot of us dealing with the bustitutions is kind of a cluster. (I normally get on in MIN, if this is in effect over the holiday, I will be changing my reservations to be LVW.)
Lucky you since Mineola isnt far down Hiway 80 from Longview! Hope you get to ride the Train also, Ive done the LGV-FTW Bustitution a Couple of Times and it Sucks!!! ;)

Hmm.

I'm within reach of an overnight trip but I'm not really hurting for another journey just yet.

I'm actually about to begin a TPAC trip in 24 hours or so from now and that'll probably take care of me.

That being said, if I were to chase this rare mileage where would y'all recommend to stay on the remote end?

-Chris
Chris; Longview has several Chain Motels (and Mom and Pop as well as Fast Food Restaurants) that mostly have Truck Drivers, Oil Field Workers and Tourists passing through! I cant really recommend anywhere but you can Google up one of the Travel sights like Kayak for Info! I understand from Posts here that Downtown Longview is starting to come back to Life but it's still not Austin or San Antonio! :giggle:

The Austin Amtrak Agent told me that theyve been told to Expect Track Work in East Texas in Oct/Nov. but havent been given any Details yet as to Detours/Bustitutions/Schedules etc. Its UP Track and Heavily Traveled by uP Freights so soon as I know something I'll Post it here! I'm ll for it because it works for me but it's not worth Flying in just to ride Rare mileage as I've said! for thoise going on a LD Ride on the Eagles it'll Work!

Edit: Delete reference to Marshall/thanks Tony, my bad! :blush: (I was going by what someone told me! I do like the look of Marshalls Station/Museum but havent been iside it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back