Texas Eagle Sightseer lounge discontinued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now even more depressed than I was before. I think that even if President Biden decides to let us in to the US, I'll cancel our TE booking. Our favourite parts of our previous trip were sitting in the SSL and eating in the dining car. In fact, we did little else, apart from sleep. Drat.

That's exactly what Amtrak leadership wants, IMO.

Trying to make sense out of 'downgrading' the Texas Eagle... it is the only Amtrak run at this time that goes three nights and three days... why would they want to take the sightseer lounge off???

I get it that there needs to be some kind of food service car for snacks and traditional dining... if traditional dining ever does come back. Perhaps they will have a combo dining car with snack service on one end and full meals on the other.

Gosh, who knows. Not very much to be motivated about! ‼ 🤮:mad:

Trying to make sense out of 'downgrading' the Texas Eagle... it is the only Amtrak run at this time that goes three nights and three days... why would they want to take the sightseer lounge off???
The downgrade is only to the Chicago - San Antonio Texas Eagle. It will have a CCC, so there will be cafe service.

The two cars that go through to Los Angeles have access to full service, such as it is, on the Sunset Limited between San Antonio and Los Angeles.

The excuse for the downgrade is the same as for all other one night LD trains. Not condoning it, but just providing the warped thinking that goes behind all this.

I still cannot understand why they have to continue with this food service cost reduction exercise when they have been funded to provide food service. Maybe some more prescriptive language needs to be included in the Authorization Bill.

Oddly and most fortunately, this malady has not quite hit the Coast Starlight yet.

The SSL car is on the Sunset Limited,so if you are going from Chi-Lax you are without the car through San Antonio.

In another thread I mentioned the TE/SL run from Chi-Lax has increased for low bucket roomette from $623 to $899. As you said,20th Century Rider,you are paying more and more for less and less.

A coach and sleeper car carry revenue pax, the SSL does not, and really does not pay for itself accounting wise.
I wonder if an SSL could be modified to have crew accommodations on the lower level. It could free up revenue space in the sleeping cars and provide amenities to passengers at the same at time.

Last edited:
A coach and sleeper car carry revenue pax, the SSL does not, and really does not pay for itself accounting wise.
When speaking to an LSA who had been running the cafe car on the CZ on my most recent trip, he said they would frequently get a few thousand dollars in sales. How much does it cost to run it?

When speaking to an LSA who had been running the cafe car on the CZ on my most recent trip, he said they would frequently get a few thousand dollars in sales. How much does it cost to run it?
The cafe cars are documented and admitted to be profitable, on essentially every single train, even with Amtrak's warped accounting.

I do wonder if this is something else: a shortage of SSLs. Amtrak was talking a while back about running short on them as they intermittently got wrecked and needed to be in for repairs more often. If you had to pull it from one train, the TE may well have been the lowest-revenue one.

The cafe cars are documented and admitted to be profitable, on essentially every single train, even with Amtrak's warped accounting.

I do wonder if this is something else: a shortage of SSLs. Amtrak was talking a while back about running short on them as they intermittently got wrecked and needed to be in for repairs more often. If you had to pull it from one train, the TE may well have been the lowest-revenue one.
That is true, I believe they only ordered 50 in total, right? 25 I's and 25 II's? -

I love those UK trains! Compared to what's here in the USA, they are relatively modern, comfortable, and go fast. Am surprised when I see bloggers complaining about the service in the British Isles.

Comparatively you may be disappointed with our rail system. The food is pathetic, there are breakdowns and delays, the rooms can be very hot and stuffy, and one never knows what problem will happen next. Sorry we can't do better!

Don't apologise! Our trip on the CZ in 2019 was one of our best travel experiences ever. As for trains over here in the UK. If you've never stood at Westbury atation at 2100 on a wet Sunday, you haven't experienced misery.

I don't know what the Amtrak cancellation policy is in these Covid times? They may offer a voucher for future use, which is not great for us Brits. I hope you can get a full refund?
Although it is still a few months away, I am not too optimistic about travel to the USA being allowed by the summer. Good luck, anyway!

They're offering a voucher with no change fees but I'm going to push for a full refund based on the non-return of trad dining by the promised date and no SSL. As you say though, it's probably moot as we won't be allowed in anyway!

They're offering a voucher with no change fees but I'm going to push for a full refund based on the non-return of trad dining by the promised date and no SSL. As you say though, it's probably moot as we won't be allowed in anyway!

I had a trip on the SWC planned last November but had to cancel due to not being able to enter the US.

I phoned the number and the lady there was very helpful. She explained that my ticket was actually non refundable but she offered to ask her supervisor and then I did get a full refund. The whole thing didn't take more than a few minutes. I was very satisfied.

Another effort to kill of LD trains.

If they cared, they would inform everyone of the REASONABLE explanation for taking away amenities. Since they don't ever do that, it is reasonable to say it is a deliberate act to continue Anderson's program to dump LD overnight service and replace it with daytime trains or not replace it at all.
So, the TE serves some of the largest cities in the US and the fastest growing region of the country, and the geniuses at Amtrak decide to make it their worst long distance product. Just as the Capitol Limited links the nations capital to its third largest city, through spectacular scenery, and also no Sightseer Lounge. Is Gardner continuing his sabotage routine?

So, the TE serves some of the largest cities in the US and the fastest growing region of the country, and the geniuses at Amtrak decide to make it their worst long distance product. Just as the Capitol Limited links the nations capital to its third largest city, through spectacular scenery, and also no Sightseer Lounge. Is Gardner continuing his sabotage routine?
The apparent answer is that there is no solid leadership... just disjointed 'managers' running around in circles.

To put it another way... "Who's minding the store?"

It doesn't pay for itself, but eliminating it probably means that fewer people choose to ride the Texas Eagle, Sunset and Capitol because Amtrak has downgraded the onboard experience so much. Another exercise in boneheaded accounting.

I still cannot understand why they have to continue with this food service cost reduction exercise when they have been funded to provide food service. Maybe some more prescriptive language needs to be included in the Authorization Bill.

Prescriptive language is probably the best solution. But you'd think Congress and the administration would realize that if they have to write prescriptive language about something like this, they probably have the wrong team in charge at Amtrak.

And what are they doing with these cars now, just storing them? So dumb. Or is there really a shortage of these cars? If so, wouldn't it make sense to explain that to the public?

Last edited:
That is true, I believe they only ordered 50 in total, right? 25 I's and 25 II's? -
Yes

The current status is

Superliner I original fleet 25, Currently active 19
Superliner II original fleet 25 Currently active 23

Total active 42.

It doesn't pay for itself, but eliminating it probably means that fewer people choose to ride the Texas Eagle, Sunset and Capitol because Amtrak has downgraded the onboard experience so much. Another exercise in boneheaded accounting.
The Sunset Limited still has an SSL. As I have mentioned before only the single night runs except the Coast Starlight have lost the SSL and all have a CCC, so they still have not lost Cafe service. It is just delivered differently.

I still wonder why the Amtrak Board and Management is hell bent on reducing food service cost when they are neither under the rpessure to make food service loss free or make the voerall passenger service profitable. And they still keep asking for yet more money without having uch to show for it in return specially on the National Account?

Yes

The current status is

Superliner I original fleet 25, Currently active 19
Superliner II original fleet 25 Currently active 23

Total active 42.

Has anyone determined how many SSLs were in active service pre-pandemic? Is there actually a shortage of them once pre-pandemic service is restored?

I realize the Sunset still has a sightseer lounge. But if you want to go from, say, Chicago to Tucson, you're without a lounge car for a large part of the trip. That makes the train a much less appealing option overall compared with past trips, so maybe you don't go or you decide to fly. So it becomes a negative for ridership on the Sunset as well. And of course, all of these downgrades reduce the appeal of travel that involves multiple trains in the national network.

Back