Texas Eagle Sightseer lounge discontinued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're still open, there are some really good Steakhouses in Chicago including Mortons, and Michael Jordan's in the Sears Tower( I just can't call it Willis)

I never wore a Jacket or tie to these places, just Dockers and a Dress Shirt.

Good Italian Resturants are also big in the Windy City, I'd ask AU members that have been in Chicago recently.
The trouble with the steakhouses (and I've been checking the menus) is that the steaks are $50 - $100 and that's a la carte. If you want a salad or side dishes, they're $10 - $15 each. Appetizers are $15-$20. Desserts are $15 ish. Then there's the drinks. I'd sure like a nice steak dinner, but I don't know if I want to pay over $100 for a dinner for one. I've been finding potential places on Google Maps. maybe I'll put out a post in the "destinations" group asking if anyone's eaten at any of these places.

In fact, I'm going to compensate for the flex food on my trip to the Gathering by having some fine dining in Chicago, if someone can suggest a good place. That's fine dining at a place that doesn't require a suit and tie.
I may try this place out - since it's in my hotel. I hope I don't have to dress up for it. :eek:
https://webergrillrestaurant.com/

The purpose of a sleeper section is to provide me a private place to snooze while on the train. Any meals I get are a bonus.
Have you considered shacking up in a luggage rack? 😄

Again, this is why I think the sleeper charges and meal charges should be separate items.
I find it interesting how nobody who says this ever includes how much they think Amtrak will lower the price. If it was a big discount then obviously a lot of people would agree but why would Amtrak do that? Realistically the discount will probably be minimal and won't even cover meals from the cafe car.

I think a major draw for leisure LD train travel via sleeper is the inclusion of meals.
I would not say the meals are a big draw so much as a big turnoff if I have to replace them on my own.

Berghoff's. about 1/2 mile toward the lake on Adams.
My favorite since my first visit in 1967. The NP Rwy. City Ticket Office agent in Portland recommended it. And last time when I pulled out my Amtrak Master Card, the waiter displayed his. Unfortunately reaching the Berghoff on some connections requires that trains arrive on time.

In fact, I'm going to compensate for the flex food on my trip to the Gathering by having some fine dining in Chicago, if someone can suggest a good place. That's fine dining at a place that doesn't require a suit and tie.
Remington's on Michigan Avenue North of Madison is great for steaks and seafood.

The trouble with the steakhouses (and I've been checking the menus) is that the steaks are $50 - $100 and that's a la carte. If you want a salad or side dishes, they're $10 - $15 each. Appetizers are $15-$20. Desserts are $15 ish. Then there's the drinks. I'd sure like a nice steak dinner, but I don't know if I want to pay over $100 for a dinner for one. I've been finding potential places on Google Maps. maybe I'll put out a post in the "destinations" group asking if anyone's eaten at any of these places.

As far as fine dining that's far better selection/value for what you pay, I'd recommend Le Colonial. I've never had a bad experience there and even gone in Carhartts.

https://www.lecolonialchicago.com/

If sleeper fares were lowered to more reasonable rates and did not include meal service, I would happily buy more LD sleepers. If sleeper fares remain consistent to where they are now and did not include meal service, I would be disappointed. I think a major draw for leisure LD train travel via sleeper is the inclusion of meals.
Sleeper fares are at least theoretically set by supply and demand. Eliminating the complimentary meals would, as you suggest, reduce demand, which would in turn lead to lower fares. Then I would have the option of buying my meals in the dining car, buying food in the snack car, or buying dinner at a restaurant before I get on the train.

Sleeper fares are at least theoretically set by supply and demand. Eliminating the complimentary meals would, as you suggest, reduce demand, which would in turn lead to lower fares. Then I would have the option of buying my meals in the dining car, buying food in the snack car, or buying dinner at a restaurant before I get on the train.

Making meals optional on the sleepers creates many more problems than it solves. The savings isn't going to be much more than a difference between buckets.

For that, you'll have hungry passengers who didn't realize their tickets didn't have meals, OBS barking for proof from customers who do and altogether more support from everyone for killing off the dining cars altogether.

For the same energy spent to change the booking software and retraining the staff, Amtrak could just upgrade the dining experience.

Making meals optional on the sleepers creates many more problems than it solves. The savings isn't going to be much more than a difference between buckets.

For that, you'll have hungry passengers who didn't realize their tickets didn't have meals, OBS barking for proof from customers who do and altogether more support from everyone for killing off the dining cars altogether.

For the same energy spent to change the booking software and retraining the staff, Amtrak could just upgrade the dining experience.
I rode the long-distance trains before meals were included in sleeping car fares, and there were no problems with food service. Most passengers (especially in coach) just brought their own food, and the dining cars were run a lot more efficiently than now and were able to serve everybody without muss or fuss. The worst experience I was was in a diner on the Crescent in 1990 where I paid for dinner using a credit card. Took forever for them to complete the transaction, but, to be fair, wireless technology was in its infancy then.

But I don't think that eliminating included meals will have much effect on sleeping car prices. Maybe a little, as the Silver Starvation experiment showed, but I really do think that people ride the train for the purpose of traveling by riding the train, not to have some sort of dining experience. And Amtrak, as a government-subsidized entity, probably only needs to provide the minimum needed to keep people riding the train, not to keep up the standards of wannabe Lucius Beebees.

If sleeper fares were lowered to more reasonable rates and did not include meal service, I would happily buy more LD sleepers. If sleeper fares remain consistent to where they are now and did not include meal service, I would be disappointed. I think a major draw for leisure LD train travel via sleeper is the inclusion of meals.
Sleepers are usually sold out at the higher fares, so filling sleepers isn’t the problem. Having a guaranteed number of meals sold helps the dining car’s bottom line, thus the reason for including meals. I’m not sure personally how I feel about it. If it’s included, I’m sure not going to miss a meal. If it wasn’t, I would probably patronize the cafe for a couple meals or bring more food onboard with me like I do when I travel coach.

Meals are not a bonus. They are part of the accommodation charges.
Was that handed down from Mt. Sinai on two stone tablets? In the past, sleeping cars didn't include meals, and there's no reason why Amtrak can't go back to that, if it's to their advantage. The main point of a sleeping car accommodation is the privacy and the lie-flat sleeping. This is a common-carrier train, after all, not some sort of rolling resort.

Was that handed down from Mt. Sinai on two stone tablets? In the past, sleeping cars didn't include meals, and there's no reason why Amtrak can't go back to that, if it's to their advantage. The main point of a sleeping car accommodation is the privacy and the lie-flat sleeping. This is a common-carrier train, after all, not some sort of rolling resort.

Meals don’t have to be provided in first class on airlines either.

It's one thing for meals to not be included on a European train that leaves at 10:00 PM and arrives at 7:00 AM. But Amtrak needs to have meals on its overnight trains except on the Northeast Corridor. And if they need to have meals they might as well include them in the room fare to guarantee a steady revenue stream.

I like the little cheese and charcuterie plates that a lot of the more upscale supermarkets sell.
This is an excellent idea for the café cars. The airlines have some very decent snack boxes with salami, hummus, olives, etc. So we know that it can be done. It's a nice change from the microwaved cheeseburger.

The main point of a sleeping car accommodation is the privacy and the lie-flat sleeping.
The main point of choosing a sleeper is up to the customer making that choice.

This is a common-carrier train, after all, not some sort of rolling resort.
It may not feel like a rolling resort but it sure costs resort level money.

Last edited:
The idea that Amtrak would significantly reduce sleeper fares if they unbundled meals is, I think, a pipe dream. Prices tend to be 'slippery up' and 'sticky down.'

The fact that traditional dining is back, and apparently even improved over the traditional dining that we lost, means that Amtrak has recognized its value in promoting sleeper ticket sales. The outcry over flex meals in the sleepers--and it wasn't just here--was heard loud and clear by Amtrak. I don't doubt that some folks didn't care at all about meals LD trains, and still don't. I believe that Amtrak concluded that those folks were in the minority.

So what? They can state that from a certain date on, they no longer will be supplying meals and they are not lowering the fares. However, your accommodation charge now includes meals and therefore they need to provide them. Moreover, should they change their mind for any reason, you would be entitled to cancel your reservation without penalty. That's exactly what I did in June when they decided not to implement the traditional meals they had just, that same day, told me were being provided and instead extended flex.

In the past, sleeping cars didn't include meals, and there's no reason why Amtrak can't go back to that, if it's to their advantage.

It's not really to their advantage, unless they want to kill dining on the LD trains. My reasoning is that switching would be a herculean retraining headache for the staff on top of yet another thing to add to their antiquated booking system.

It's not really to their advantage, unless they want to kill dining on the LD trains. My reasoning is that switching would be a herculean retraining headache for the staff on top of yet another thing to add to their antiquated booking system.
I agree. As others have also said, it would be a great way to kill of the dining car.

So what? They can state that from a certain date on, they no longer will be supplying meals and they are not lowering the fares. However, your accommodation charge now includes meals and therefore they need to provide them. Moreover, should they change their mind for any reason, you would be entitled to cancel your reservation without penalty. That's exactly what I did in June when they decided not to implement the traditional meals they had just, that same day, told me were being provided and instead extended flex.

While I agree with the main point of your post about refunds being owed if amenities change, I have to respectively disagree with the premise the month or so delay that occurred in restoring traditional dining was malicious or nefarious in any way that your post seems to hint at. I think they did the restoration at the earliest possible point when they could get enough people recalled and get the logistics worked out. Given the labor shortages everywhere I would not have been surprised if they had to push it back even further and was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get it on one leg of my late June trip. It stinks that your trip ended up in that month delay and I totally understand your disappointment but at least they refunded you to their credit. I hope you have been able to reschedule your trip now that dining has returned.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for a value in Chicago, it’s tough. Chicago is an extremely expensive city. My recommendation is the Italian Village or Miller’s Pub. Both are excellent.

Sometimes they are and sometimes they’re not. I’ve gotten a decent meal in First Class on the airlines, and I’ve gotten a banana and crackers other times. It’s seemingly inexplicable.

It is the exact opposite of inexplicable. Flights of certain durations have different services. That will change a bit from airline to airline but it all makes sense.

It is the exact opposite of inexplicable. Flights of certain durations have different services. That will change a bit from airline to airline but it all makes sense.
Although I did this video where the following is stated:

"Alaska Airlines recently announced the return of hot meals on transcontinental flights and flights to Hawaii." This flight was from Raleigh to Seattle, and a hot meal wasn't served.

So it also depends on other factors, perhaps the amount of competition (as there is less competition, no need to elevate meals to compete with others?), or the catering in airports.

Back