Texas Eagle Sightseer lounge discontinued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I want to understand this correctly: the cafe for the TE is part of the "Cross Country Cafe" car, split with the diner. But, it sounds like passengers aren't allowed to sit in the cafe side, correct? And without a SSL there will be no place to sit except your coach seat.

That's crazy. Even on the state trains (in Illinois at least) you can hang out at a table in the cafe to get a break from your coach seat. And those aren't 32 hour long rides.

So, I want to understand this correctly: the cafe for the TE is part of the "Cross Country Cafe" car, split with the diner. But, it sounds like passengers aren't allowed to sit in the cafe side, correct? And without a SSL there will be no place to sit except your coach seat.

That's crazy. Even on the state trains (in Illinois at least) you can hang out at a table in the cafe to get a break from your coach seat. And those aren't 32 hour long rides.
You are correct.

On Pacific Surfliner trains, including the ones with the 8 hour run times, you can't eat in the cafe. Must be at your seat.

If the SSL cars are gone for good,passengers should be able to hang out in the cross country cafe car,at least for a little while. As you said,the TE is a 30 hour trip. It's not a bus. I am amazed at some of Amtrak's moves. None are for the better

Wouldnt hurt for everyone that loves the Eagle from the States the Eagle serves ( IL/MO/AR/TX)to let Amtrak Joe, Mayor Pete and their Senators and Reps know how we feel about this latest idiotic idea from the Executive Suite in Sodom on the Potomac!
Well said... but when it gets down to politics, regardless of the party... it seems that all their efforts go for the votes; perhaps if congress reps see enough signatures from their states and districts, they may do something... if they feel they actually can.

Specifically about SSLs I don't know. But in general, many have been sold. @Seaboard92 knows more about all that than I do. Even a bunch of Amfleet Is were acquired by a tourist operation.

Yes sir two have been sold to my friend Noah. I've been inside both of them. They are actually in really good condition compared to most of the stuff in the bone yard. Even though one has a tree growing inside the second floor.

Give it the summer if some improvements aren’t made after letters and a hissing fit from RPA . I say a “Fire Flynn/Gardner/the board” campaign is in order. Same billboards as before. Obviously no one was ever going to fire Anderson. The political climate is 100 percent different now, it would AT LEAST get Bidens and Buttigiegs attention.

I’m half joking but half of me isn’t. We will know soon enough if managements goals are sincere or not.

Last edited:
Emails often seem to generate a standard reply...

I contacted the Amtrak international department: [email protected]

They mostly dealt with overseas rail pass queries, but I found them helpful with obtaining a refund at one time. Maybe give them a shot first? Fingers crossed in any case!
Alas, I cannot get this email to work at all.

Alas, I cannot get this email to work at all.

Sorry to hear that.

It was an email for overseas customers who required help with railpass reservations, I found them a bit more savvy than the domestic folk. The railpass is suspended during Covid, so maybe that email is too.

Give a phone call, not too expensive these days from most mobile phones?

Give it the summer if some improvements aren’t made after letters and a hissing fit from RPA . I say a “Fire Flynn/Gardner/the board” campaign is in order. Same billboards as before. Obviously no one was ever going to fire Anderson. The political climate is 100 percent different now, it would AT LEAST get Bidens and Buttigiegs attention.

I’m half joking but half of me isn’t. We will know soon enough if managements goals are sincere or not.
Let AU make the top leadership aware of concerns... and use the words 'deterioration of service' loud enough so that it gets the attention of Biden and Bettigieg...

BTW... we need to proudly assume that AU has some kind of influence, after all, we probably well represent the strongest of the strong supporters for a vibrant and improving Amtrak. And that's what top leaders are promising!

Yes sir two have been sold to my friend Noah. I've been inside both of them. They are actually in really good condition compared to most of the stuff in the bone yard. Even though one has a tree growing inside the second floor.

Curios to what your friend Noah plans to do with two SSL, would make for an awesome private car (tint the windows more though).

I'm new to this forum but am confused. I am taking the Texas Eagle this summer and the Amtrak site says that the train does have an observation car. Or does the observation car only get added in San Antonio?

I'm new to this forum but am confused. I am taking the Texas Eagle this summer and the Amtrak site says that the train does have an observation car. Or does the observation car only get added in San Antonio?
It has a Sightseer Lounge west of San Antonio. That car runs as a part of the Sunset Limited to which the through Los Angeles cars from the Texas Eagle are attached, and hence those passenger gain access to the Sightseer Lounge thence westwards.

The discussion here is about what happens between Chicago and San Antonio where the Texas Eagle is a self standing train separate from the Sunset.

Where are you taking it from?

I would say the best course of action is to call Amtrak and ask them if the Sightseer Lounge will be in service on your trip date. They may not give you correct information but we can be wrong as well and many of our insider sources have gone quiet during the pandemic. Best of luck with the lounge but North of San Antonio does not look promising.

I emailed Amtrak support over a week ago to specifically complain about the Sightseer Loungs being removed on the Texas Eagle and Capitol Limited. I have not yet recieved a response. Typically I get something, even if it's b.s., though it may take a while.

The removal of the sightseeing car between Chicago and San Antonio is a new thing, so the main Amtrak website might not be updated yet?

(A sightseeer lounge will be available from San Antonio to Los Angeles, as Jis above explained.)

Back