Texas Eagle Sightseer lounge discontinued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know thanks to watching Virtual Railfan cameras, that Sightseer Lounges hadn't ran on Capitol Limited(Elkhart camera) and Texas Eagle(Big Sandy, TX camera) as of late. Are those the only long distance trains at the moment with Superliner cars, where the Sightseer Lounge is temporarily not running on? And whenever I've caught the Auto Train running through the Virtual Railfan cameras in either Folkston, GA or Ashland, VA, I hadn't seen that train run with a Sightseer Lounge either.

Someone else supposedly said the City of New Orleans briefly didn't run with a Sightseer Lounge, but that at least with one recent April 2021 train run and a posted pic, that it was running with a Sightseer car once again. I honestly wish all such trains would run with a Sightseer Lounge, and also traditional dining service once again. You'd think the cost cutting crap would've stopped with Anderson no longer being CEO, but sadly it seems like that hasn't totally stopped.....

I'm pretty sure the Autotrain has lounges made out of converted diners, and usually doesn't use SSL, so you would not see them. It's not the most scenic route anyway, being mostly overnight.
I agree. If any train were to lose it's SSL, I think the Auto Train is the best one.

Auto train uses converted diners for lounges. There was one converted SSL in the auto train lounge fleet - not sure if it still is. (It had all tables unlike the typical SSL.) on a trip a couple years ago I had the converted diner on the way down and the former SSL on the way home.

Here is the response I got from Amtrak for my compaint about removing the Sightseer Lounges. I don't like the tone of this.

We appreciate your taking the time to send us your comments regarding the retirement of the Sightseeing Lounge car.
We know that many of our customers have enjoyed this popular car over the years but the decision to retire it is part of Amtrak’s plan to modernize our fleet of equipment. We are examining the various amenities in an effort to determine how best to offer these services moving forward.
As we hope you will understand, these determinations were not made lightly, and are being implemented wholly with the purpose of ensuring the financial excellence Amtrak requires to deliver intercity transportation into the future with superior safety, customer service, and efficiency.
Again, thank you for your e-mail. We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.

Here is the response I got from Amtrak for my compaint about removing the Sightseer Lounges. I don't like the tone of this.

We appreciate your taking the time to send us your comments regarding the retirement of the Sightseeing Lounge car.
We know that many of our customers have enjoyed this popular car over the years but the decision to retire it is part of Amtrak’s plan to modernize our fleet of equipment. We are examining the various amenities in an effort to determine how best to offer these services moving forward.
As we hope you will understand, these determinations were not made lightly, and are being implemented wholly with the purpose of ensuring the financial excellence Amtrak requires to deliver intercity transportation into the future with superior safety, customer service, and efficiency.
Again, thank you for your e-mail. We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.

Well, that's a whole lot of corporate-speak in just two paragraphs. They should really just do the short translation: "We don't care what you think, so **** off." At least that's more honest.

According to this Amtrak rep, the 'modernized' experience refers to the removal of an extra comfort amenities so that Amtrak can be in line with its future goal... bare bones and basic. That is what Amtrak calls 'modernization' and 'financial excellence.'

C'mon... gag me with spoon of flex food!

Amtrak’s response is more onerous than I would have thought. “Retirement” reminds me of the PPC verbiage. Only 30 years sooner. What the hey is going on...

Things are not looking good.
Yes...it seems that this answers the question, as to 'when' the SSL's will return, post-pandemic...never.
Very discouraging, I agree.

Auto train uses converted diners for lounges. There was one converted SSL in the auto train lounge fleet - not sure if it still is. (It had all tables unlike the typical SSL.) on a trip a couple years ago I had the converted diner on the way down and the former SSL on the way home.
That was the one test conversion of an SSL for use as CCC. I am wandering whatever happened to it since then.

RPA (what was wrong with NARP, anyway?) needs to get involved. Sometimes I am not sure what they do, even though I read their weekly missive.
Part of the reason I never gave them money.

This is disgusting.

I've never been a fan of Amtrak Vacations... a private subsidiary... but it seems the rug has been pulled out from them as well... as they embellish the joy of train travel and promote the advantages of the SSL's. So, what's next??? Does any one care... and is anyone minding the store???

Rail Vacations losing it's SSC.png
Clients-can-Upgrade-and-Save-with-new-sale-from-Amtrak-Vacations.jpg
amtrak-california-zephyr-onboard-dome-car.jpg

I do not know if they read responses or respond to them, but I responded with this: Why would I want to travel Amtrak going forward if you continually water down the experience (dining) and amenities (lounges)?
You're not alone in your thinking. This massive pullback of service and quality for this 50th Amtrak Anniversary certainly paints a very bleak picture. If Amtrak Joe and Buttegieg are indifferent, then America will continue to rapidly fall behind the rest of the world when it comes to passenger rail.

Below...Even Egypt is developing rapid HS rail!
180121_Egypt_Siemens_rail_route.jpg

Back