Texas Eagle Sleeper Peculiarity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
There's probably a simple explanation for this, but when using either Alice or AmSnag to find fares between CHI and
SAS in either direction, Family Bedrooms and Bedrooms are shown as None Left (or SO) on every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday from now through 11 months out.

What am I missing?

You need to try trains 421 and 422 instead of 21 and 22. 3 days a week 21 and 22 is only the dorm car. The full sleeper goes all the way to LAX.

Last edited by a moderator:
when doing your search on Amtrak, the trains available should show 21 and 421 on the three days that the TE 421 runs CHI - LAX via SAS. The entire 2130 car is sold as Train 421, and the 8 Roomettes in the Trans Dorm sold as 21. On the other 4 days the 2120 Sleeper is sold as TE 21 with the 8 Roomettes in the Trans Dorm sold when all others are sold.

Or maybe not so simple. As I'll never be able to remember that, I'll just make a copy and insert it into my dog-eared paper system timetable book.
default_blink.png

Thanx

There's probably a simple explanation for this, but when using either Alice or AmSnag to find fares between CHI and

SAS in either direction, Family Bedrooms and Bedrooms are shown as None Left (or SO) on every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday from now through 11 months out.

What am I missing?
I am familiar with AmSnag, but who/what is this "Alice" you speak of?

Or maybe not so simple. As I'll never be able to remember that, I'll just make a copy and insert it into my dog-eared paper system timetable book.
default_blink.png

Thanx
To put it another way, the Texas Eagle always runs with a Trans-Dorm and a standard Superliner sleeper SAS-CHI. Three days a week the standard sleeper runs LAX-CHI with the Sunset Ltd, as train 421/422. The regular SAS-CHI Texas Eagle is numbered 21/22. So on the days that 421/422 is running, 21/22 refers to the the Trans-Dorm, which only has roomettes, with 421/422 being the standard sleeper.

What am I missing?
I am familiar with AmSnag, but who/what is this "Alice" you speak of?

The poster may mean "Julie", the "helpful" Amtrak computer voice.

No, I didn't mean Julie. I thought Alice was the term for computer or the computer program that ran the Amtrak reservation system. Note the thought.

Speaking of peculiarities have you ever tried checking prices in other cities via VPN? When I was purchasing sleeper tickets just prior to the PPC retirement I noticed that if I used a network circuit that was registered in Houston I was getting lower prices than when I used an internet circuit registered in San Antonio. Switching browsers and computers didn't seem to change the result. The San Antonio query routinely brought a higher price than the Houston query. This lasted for at least two days straight. More recently I was checking prices on a trip in November and didn't see any difference so maybe it was just a brief technical hiccup.

Speaking of peculiarities have you ever tried checking prices in other cities via VPN? When I was purchasing sleeper tickets just prior to the PPC retirement I noticed that if I used a network circuit that was registered in Houston I was getting lower prices than when I used an internet circuit registered in San Antonio. Switching browsers and computers didn't seem to change the result. The San Antonio query routinely brought a higher price than the Houston query. This lasted for at least two days straight. More recently I was checking prices on a trip in November and didn't see any difference so maybe it was just a brief technical hiccup.
Most likely a brief technical hiccup. Arrow is a pretty rudimentary booking system with fares related solely to availability and (sometimes) the season. Airlines don't have set price buckets and fares are based on the following:

• Day of the week booked
  • Day of the week travelling
  • Season/holidays/events
  • Remaining availability (obviously)
  • Perceived location booked (including VPN)
With Amtrak, the system is just "How many rooms/seats are left?" and that's that.

. . . have you ever tried checking prices in other cities via VPN?
No I haven't. But I do occasionally notice minor price differences of a few dollars when using AmSnag to make spot checks of coach and sleeper fares.to see if my bucket chart needs updating. I'd then annotate the newer fare on a hard copy of the chart for later inclusion. But then later on after checking again either:

• the newer fare was still there and I'd update the chart (and conclude the original fare on the chart was merely a typo)

• or the newer fare had been replaced by the original one (and conclude my eyes had been playing tricks on me)

Most likely a brief technical hiccup. Arrow is a pretty rudimentary booking system with fares related solely to availability and (sometimes) the season. Airlines don't have set price buckets and fares are based on the following:
  • Day of the week booked
  • Season/holidays/events
With Amtrak, the system is just "How many rooms/seats are left?" and that's that.
Based on my current understanding airline ticket pricing is vastly more complicated than that. In fact it's rumored to be so convoluted that it may be impossible for any single person to provide a clear and concise explanation of everything that goes into pricing your next airline ticket. In the same way that no single human can fully explain how Google search works or how Youtube suggestions work. At this point the precise operation of those tasks is already well past the point of conventional human understanding. Even though airline ticketing is not yet processed in the quantum realm the overall theme is similar. We know what goes into a series of dynamic self-modifying algorithms and we know what comes out, but what exactly is happening inside that process is extremely difficult to quantify with any meaningful degree of precision. It's like a dynamically recompiling encoding process where the sources and keys are always changing. Even if you understood the entire process at any given moment that knowledge would only be relevant for a short period before becoming useless again. I don’t doubt that Amtrak is much more simplistic than airline pricing, which is probably fine due to their lack of direct competition, but there's no reason to assume that Arrow needs to manage or even understand everything that goes into pricing a given ticket. Amtrak could choose to employ a secondary pricing system that could update Arrow prices behind the scenes based on a large number of disparate variables far beyond Arrow's comprehension.

. . . have you ever tried checking prices in other cities via VPN?
No I haven't. But I do occasionally notice minor price differences of a few dollars when using AmSnag to make spot checks of coach and sleeper fares.to see if my bucket chart needs updating. I'd then annotate the newer fare on a hard copy of the chart for later inclusion. But then later on after checking again either:
• the newer fare was still there and I'd update the chart (and conclude the original fare on the chart was merely a typo)

• or the newer fare had been replaced by the original one (and conclude my eyes had been playing tricks on me)
These prices were off by a $100 or so, which was more than enough to really stand out. The discovery was accidental but after confirming the disparity was still in effect on the second day I simply purchased "from Houston" and eventually forgot about it. Then when it came time to price out some tickets in November I remembered the difference and tried again with no luck.

• Day of the week booked
  • Season/holidays/events
Based on my current understanding airline ticket pricing is vastly more complicated than that. In fact it's rumored to be so convoluted that it may be impossible for any single person to provide a clear and concise explanation of everything that goes into pricing your next airline ticket. In the same way that no single human can fully explain how Google search works or how Youtube suggestions work. At this point the precise operation of those tasks is already well past the point of conventional human understanding. Even though airline ticketing is not yet processed in the quantum realm the overall theme is similar.
What I meant was that those are just some of the factors taken into consideration when calculating plane fares. The algorithms and math involved are indeed beyond the mental capacity of any human, and fares can change dramatically because of one small change. Amtrak on the other hand literally takes into account TWO - the season and the availability. And I rather like it that way.
default_smile.png

You need to try trains 421 and 422 instead of 21 and 22. 3 days a week 21 and 22 is only the dorm car. The full sleeper goes all the way to LAX.
You saved me! I was sitting in my Eagle sleeper at 4am, doing a bit of reading while reflecting on the fine meal I had in the CCC the night before. And also lamenting that sleeper space was sold out on the return (I thought).

I read your post and immediately heeded your advice and called the hotline to check for a sleeper on 422 for the return. Bingo! And the CSA working the hotline at 4am was a real pro by the way.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

The TE is unique with its car numbering scheme, when the actual physical consist doesn't change from day to day.
Technically it does change a little - they tack on the #322 coach at St. Louis. So if you're going east on the TE, the train does get an extra car second day.

Back