Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited Consist from Los Angeles to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of LAX the sleeper is the last car on train, diner is 4 or 5 cars up. Out of SAS the sleeper was moved to directly next to the CCC/diner. As per my trip in January.
When they put the sleeper in the middle of the diner and the other Eagle sleepers, isn't that one hectic amount of switching?

Lately they've been running the #422 Sleeper and Coach on the rear of #22 from SAS to CHI on the shortened consist.( No Bag, No Sightseer Lounge, No Transdorm)
Actually, 21/22 is running with the trans/dorm and will be for the foreseeable future. Also, from my experience, the goal is to switch the sleeper to the forward position, but if 2 is late then they’ll make a very quick decision to just leave it on the rear.

Actually, 21/22 is running with the trans/dorm and will be for the foreseeable future. Also, from my experience, the goal is to switch the sleeper to the forward position, but if 2 is late then they’ll make a very quick decision to just leave it on the rear.
Thanks, I haven't ridden this Train since April!
Yesterday must have been an exception, see my post re 1/22 s #22/ #422 in the Late Eagle thread.

Last edited:
Last edited:
right now, there's just one sleeper that goes the entire Lax to NOL and the crew occupies 6 of those rooms, leaving just a handful of rooms for sale to general public. There is a 2nd sleeper that goes part of the way (Lax to San Antonio), but if you are boarding east of San Antonio or getting off at any stops east of San Antonio, it's very hard to get a room all the way through. You might try booking Lax to El Paso and then El Paso to Nol. Even though you might have to change rooms, the crew might keep you in the same room all the way thru. We used to have 2 sleepers all the way thru, but Amtrak took off one during Covid and Amtrak is very beaurocratic and takes forever to change. I make about 10 round trips a year in the sleeper between Houston and LAX and I've been fighting this problem for a long long time. My educated guess is they will put back that 2nd sleeper, sometime between now and the next 5 years

right now, there's just one sleeper that goes the entire Lax to NOL and the crew occupies 6 of those rooms, leaving just a handful of rooms for sale to general public. There is a 2nd sleeper that goes part of the way (Lax to San Antonio), but if you are boarding east of San Antonio or getting off at any stops east of San Antonio, it's very hard to get a room all the way through. You might try booking Lax to El Paso and then El Paso to Nol. Even though you might have to change rooms, the crew might keep you in the same room all the way thru. We used to have 2 sleepers all the way thru, but Amtrak took off one during Covid and Amtrak is very beaurocratic and takes forever to change. I make about 10 round trips a year in the sleeper between Houston and LAX and I've been fighting this problem for a long long time. My educated guess is they will put back that 2nd sleeper, sometime between now and the next 5 years
Since I live in Tucson on this route, I have a question I would like to ask of you since you travel this route often. On the LAX to NOL trip, how often have you seen travelers going from LAX to Chicago (or stops in that direction) have to get off the train at San Antonio and take buses North to meet up with some train that can take them the rest of the way? This happened to me once and now I am VERY fearful of this happening again.

Since I live in Tucson on this route, I have a question I would like to ask of you since you travel this route often. On the LAX to NOL trip, how often have you seen travelers going from LAX to Chicago (or stops in that direction) have to get off the train at San Antonio and take buses North to meet up with some train that can take them the rest of the way? This happened to me once and now I am VERY fearful of this happening again.
It used to be a rare happening on the Texas Eagle( now known as the Eaglette due to the 4 Car Consist)Route, but with the terrible OTP of the Eaglette between SAS and STL thanks to Freight Inteference by UP, poor Dispatching and Equipment Problems,, it is now a fairly common occurrence on the 3 times a week Schedule.🥺🤬

Last edited:
actually those passengers are put in a specific car when they board the train, because at San Antonio the last 2 cars of the train (a sleeper and a coach) are cut off the train and put on the Texas Eagle which continues on to Chicago. The rest of the train (Sunset Limited) continues on to Houston and NOL. So unless the train is horribly late arriving into San Antonio, no one gets bussed to catch up with the Texas Eagle which departs San Antonio at 7 AM. I think a 7AM departure for the Texas Eagle out of San Antonio is too early. Amtrak ought to change that to 8am or 9am (that's just my opinion)

actually those passengers are put in a specific car when they board the train, because at San Antonio the last 2 cars of the train (a sleeper and a coach) are cut off the train and put on the Texas Eagle which continues on to Chicago. The rest of the train (Sunset Limited) continues on to Houston and NOL. So unless the train is horribly late arriving into San Antonio, no one gets bussed to catch up with the Texas Eagle which departs San Antonio at 7 AM. I think a 7AM departure for the Texas Eagle out of San Antonio is too early. Amtrak ought to change that to 8am or 9am (that's just my opinion)
So if you are getting on in Tucson and going all the way to NOL, you should be in the 230 sleeping car, if you are going sleeper and should not have anything to worry about as the whole train (other than those 2 cars cut off in San Antonio) continues all the way through Houston, Beaumont, and NOL. Just check out the timetable of the Sunset Limited, don't even look at the Texas Eagle timetable. Amtrak Timetable Archives - Home

Back