Texas Eagle with two units

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that a P-42 diesel runs at a slower speed to provide HEP. That as I understand reduces its max traction HP to some value.? r
There is a HEP only mode in which it runs at a slower speed. Usually the HEP providing loco is put in that mode when stopped for an extended time.

When it is in traction mode, it runs at whatever RPM is necessary to provide the total power needed. Max traction HP gets reduced by the amount that gets drawn off for HEP.

That is why, when a train has a single loco and has been at an extended stop, one often finds a brief interruption of HEP as they change the mode of the engine.

A P-42 running without HEP will provide max tractive effort of 4250 HP at 1047 RPM. If set for HEP at 900 RPM will provide max of 3550 HP with no HEP load. . At max HEP load of 800 kW will provide 2525 HP max tractive effort. Some kind of sliding scale between zero load and 800 kWs. The following link about half way down under main heading P-42DC.

GE Genesis - Wikipedia

Boarded a CAL Z westbound out of Denver. It had 3 P-42s and a bunch of MHCs and Roadrailers on rear. One unit failed climbing toward tunnel. . Train slowed to a stop. Unable to restart. Engineer turned off HEP and we slowly made it to the tunnel and HEP turned back on. Loco finally restarted at Grand Junction

Some one that boarded in Chicago found new conductor and suggested that a UP engine be added at Helper. He had heard on scanner that unit had fail several times from CHI to DEN. Did not believe the extra 1000 HP with HEP off would be enough.. As I heard conversation the new conductor dismissed that as not at all likely and would cost Amtrak $200.

You guessed it we stalled again out of helper. UP at Helper offered to push us but loco cannot push roadrailers. Finally an eastbound UP couples 2 units to front and quick trip to summit follows . Believe it or not new conductor found person and apologized. Said management had said that failures CHI - DEN had not occurred until conductor pushed them. At least 5 - 8 hours late at SLC. Next crew not on duty late enough so they died on the law out of SLC so UP crew got on at some road and Amtrak conductor became a train manager. Engineer ??

OH -- the unit failed again of course going up Donner but we made it without help.

The ALC-44s for Amtrak are to 4200 HP instead of the SC-44s 4400 HP. W Do not and could not find how much tractive effort reduced for the ALC's HEP draws. Also the SC-44 HEP ratings for the different agencies.

Just know that Metra SC-44s or any other loco cannot be used for HEP because phases are reversed direction. A special cable connector can reverse the phase to proper direction but as far as I know there has never been a swap between the two operators.

Just do the Western LD routes I ride.
  • Check Amtrak status via APP for today to get arrival time. (18 seconds.)
  • Use a station vitualrailcam on the route and point DVR to that time... (32 seconds.)
  • Log Sleeper direction (10 seconds)
  • Enjoy my hobby - priceless!
... and as of a matter of fact... I do have a lot of time on my hands now... retired last Friday. :)
Good on yuh, mate! Enjoy!
I have set 3 January 2022 as my target retirement date.
But I have mentally put The Company on notice - one more "TEAMS" meeting at which The Old Man is insulted, I push The Button.
57 years in the business, but it is getting too hard to enjoy it any more. I've got trains to ride and
the Open Road becksons to me and to The Good Ship Venus with its siren call.

Back