The airplane seat recline controversy heats up again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said. Just because one can recline doesn't mean one should recline. Too often of late people are just into their own little world of what they have a right to do. We all need to think of the other guy or gal a bit more.

This was in first class with seat spacing similar to Amtrak’s 2-1 business class cars. I’ve never been on an Amtrak train and felt like I shouldn’t be able to recline my seat. Nor have I been surprised or upset with passengers in front of me have reclined on either a train or a plane.

Wider seats with deeper pitch = fewer seats per plane = higher ticket prices to maintain profitability = fewer flights to choose from since a plane can now only hold half the amount of passengers.

Actually, the irony in this is that squeezing the seats closer together only gives one or at most two more rows. So, the increase in ticket prices to account for the loss of those 6-12 seats wouldn't be all that much for customers. But from the perspective of the airlines, those seats are all gravy--and presumably they are already charging what they can for seats, so it is unlikely that we passengers are getting any advantage from the 30 inch seat pitch.

This was in first class with seat spacing similar to Amtrak’s 2-1 business class cars. I’ve never been on an Amtrak train and felt like I shouldn’t be able to recline my seat. Nor have I been surprised or upset with passengers in front of me have reclined on either a train or a plane.

This incident is in coach, the last two rows. You can see the aft bulkhead along with the aft galley and door behind the guy. The E-175 is probably one of the most comfortable domestic planes out there. All 2-2 seating and an extra wide cabin. Much wider than the CRJ's 2-2 seating.

That said, I'm that guy that reclines about half the time. I'll go slow and sometimes go halfway. I'm 6'0 and it's never bothered me when someone in front of me reclines, as long as they don't slam back into my laptop or something. After takeoff, I move my personal bag behind my feet and stretch out my legs under the seat in front and I'm quite comfortable.

This incident is in coach, the last two rows. You can see the aft bulkhead along with the aft galley and door behind the guy. The E-175 is probably one of the most comfortable domestic planes out there. All 2-2 seating and an extra wide cabin. Much wider than the CRJ's 2-2 seating.

That said, I'm that guy that reclines about half the time. I'll go slow and sometimes go halfway. I'm 6'0 and it's never bothered me when someone in front of me reclines, as long as they don't slam back into my laptop or something. After takeoff, I move my personal bag behind my feet and stretch out my legs under the seat in front and I'm quite comfortable.

Oh sorry... I had read it was first class on flyertalk and the seats looked about the same as first class. I've admittedly only ridden in first class on that model of plane but I loved it. Maybe it was just luck but it was super smooth for a smaller plane and quite comfortable.

The E-175 is probably one of the most comfortable domestic planes out there.
Talk about a backhanded complement.

After takeoff, I move my personal bag behind my feet and stretch out my legs under the seat in front and I'm quite comfortable.
There is no way for me to put my feet under the seat in front of me in coach on AA domestic. Even in the new first class cabin the curve of the seat back and the lack of junction box clearance prevent using the under-seat area for anything productive like bags or feet.

Back