The Amazing Birthday Trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 AUG 2015

DAY TWO

This day I was on the train all day. It was a pretty normal train day, amazing as always. However there is one story that I want to pick out from that day.

I was in the Sightseer Lounge playing solitaire with my Amtrak cards. The conductor was sitting at the table that was across the aisle from me. A nice lady came and sat across from him. She began to speak to him, and said that she had her dad on the train, her dad was 80 years old and it was his birthday today. But the very special thing about it was the fact that he loved trains. He apparently spent most of his time watching trains go by and he absolutely loved trains. She really wanted to do something special for him, since all she could afford for his trip from Chicago was coach. He apparently came from a very impoverished family and could never take trains trips, but still loved trains. The conductor said there isn’t much he can do. I looked at my cards, piled them together and put them neatly in the box, and gave her them, and said give them to her dad. She started to tear up and tried to deny the gift, but I told her that I love trains and that I am very blessed, and I want to pay it forward. She went back to her seat, very happy.

I was in my room and I thought for a second, and looked at the yard paperwork that showed track work and other conductor paperwork that the conductor gave me. I made a decision. I picked it up, and walked back to coach and found the nice lady next to her dad. I crouched next to him, and started talking about trains. At that moment, I gave him the paperwork and explained what everything meant and what the paperwork did for the conductor. He had a huge smile on his face and the lady was so happy!

I am so happy to be able to make someone’s day and to be able to pay it forward.

What a gracious and lovely thing to do, Tyler! And taking time to talk with the gentleman was a special part of your gift to him--as people get older, sometimes they feel like nobody cares or wants to be around them anymore--you absolutely made his 80th birthday the best ever! :) :) :)

The great unwashed masses look upon trains as just one more way of getting from here to there.

Those in the know are aware that trains are a social phenomenon second to none.

They are a force for civility and decency, much needed in today's world.

It's wonderful to see that you're carrying on the tradition, Tyler.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot.

4 AUG 15 SWC #3

43, 84, 1753, 39009, 32022, 32093 "Missouri", 38062, 33033, 34048, 34093, 31043, 31036
I hear you are in the lounge at LAX waiting for the Coast Starlight. Enjoy your trip up the coast.

Now I am hearing there are PVs on the back of the CS. I hope you are able to get photos.

Who is that Masked Man?

The Shadow knows and so do some of us! It won't be a big surprise that Mr. Z is really a swell guy!

Hope y'all have a great trip on the Starlight! We're envious!

DAY THREE

6 AUG 2015

We were scheduled to arrive in LAX at 13:30, meaning we would miss the Coast Starlight connection for the day, but we already had the reservation changed so we did not have to worry. I had breakfast, and when they called for lunch there was nothing I could eat (being gluten free, the only thing they had was grilled cheese). The SCA, Julio, was amazing.

We got into LA and one of the first things we did was check-in at the Metro Plaza Hotel. Very nice hotel, while I was there I noticed a Mexican market across the street and kept a mental note of it. A few hours later, me and Mrs. Z decided to go to Hollywood Blvd.

We took the Red line.

First place we decided to go was the Chinese theatre. Right next door there was a shopping center, where I saw an Oakley’s store and thought I’d take a look. I did a U-Turn as soon as I saw the cheapest sunglasses were $110. We then went and looked at a few stores, I got a LA Kings shirt and a Anaheim Ducks shirt. We saw the Hollywood sign and made sure to take a picture of it!

Then we went was lunch/dinner at Mel’s Drive-In. It was amazing food; I had rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes with a chocolate milkshake. The place had outstanding service and food.

After that we went to was Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum. It was a very interesting place, with a lot of weird stuff going on. Next place, which was one of my favorites, was the wax museum!

I made sure to get my picture with my favorite movie actors and favorite movie, Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith in Men in Black! It was very cool. I also got my picture with Morgan Freeman and a few other stars.

The next place we went to was the Guinness World Records Museum. It was kind of small and not very interesting.

We started to head back to the hotel at that point. We took the red line back. We decided to stop at the Mexican market on the way back to our hotel, and I got a wrestling mask! It is of Sin Cara, a WWE wrestler. Mrs. Z got a shawl. I also ate at this amazing little Mexican place called “la buena noche”. It was very good food and amazing service.

We then got back to the hotel and decided to get ready for bed, as our Coast Starlight was the next morning!

Sounds like a great day! You were able to see many things during your afternoon in LA and memories that you will keep a lifetime. Looking forward to your next update.

The Mexican block kind of between LAUS and Metro Plaza is a national historic monument where Los Angeles was founded. Some of the original buildings remain. This being Friday night, you might find a party going on in the plaza with live music, worth checking out. They also have a visitor center, walking tours, etc. Olvera Street

Don't forget Metro Plaza is tucked into the corner of China Town. It isn't as big as many other China Towns and has had some hard times recently but does have a pretty spectacular dragon gate, especially when lit up for festivals. When they built LAUS, they took out the original China Town. The best sweets are at Phoenix Bakery and I like the dim sum at Won Kok.

Alice, thank you for the tips. Today I am on the Coast Starlight. I have been posting everything a day behind. I will be posting today's report tonight when I get to Emeryville.

Tyler, I hope that you enjoyed your lunch in the PPC, your movie in the PPC and you will enjoy your dinner in the PPC.

OH MY GOD! I was so far off. (I thought Railroad Bill was Mr. Z.)

Shanghai is a wonderful person. You are so lucky to spend all this time with him. :)

Back