The best of both Worlds.....Seattle AND Glacier Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago I took a trip from Spokane, first to Seattle, and then to East Glacier before returning to Spokane. I departed on June 23rd. Because of the horrendous timekeeping of the EB, I began tracking the EASTBOUND EB of June 18th. This would be the train that would arrive (hopefully) in Chicago on the 20th and turned the next day to become the #7 I would catch in Spokane on the 23rd. #8(18) "only" arrived in Chicago about 8 hours late, enough time to get it ready for an on-time departure on the 21st. I was actually hoping it would be several hours late into Spokane so that I could make the 1 hour drive in daylight hours. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for everyone aboard 7(21) the train actually was doing well, for it, timewise. I usually get a good sense of when it will arrive by the time it gets to Havre; it looked to be less than 2 hours late into Spokane, insuring yet another dead of the night drive to Spokane. After a late dinner in Spokane, I got to the station right around the time #7 was to arrive in Spokane (3:15 AM) and continue to track its progress. It arrived in Spokane a little after 5, and we left around 5:30 AM, "only" 1:45 behind schedule. This allowed me the opportunity to see all that non-scenery of Eastern and Central Washington in daylight. I tried to doze, but had little success. I gave up around 7:15 AM and went to breakfast. I should have tried to sleep. I usually have no quarrel with AmChow but this breakfast was probably the worst meal I'd had on Amtrak. I tried the fricatta, sort of a vegetarian omelette, and it tasted like moldy alfalfa. And the croissant was disappointing, too: instead of light and flaky it was heavy, soggy, half-warm, and looked very much like a hamburger bun with a hole in it. And while I'm bitching :lol: I can also say my companions at the table weren't too scintillating either. All four of us were solo travelers, and only one said much, an older gentleman who carried on a non-sequitur monologue the whole time. I couldn't get out of the diner and back to my coach seat fast enough. The day was beautiful, and we ended up making up some time into Seattle. We ended up about an hour and 20 minutes late, acceptable by my book especially when it had been 8-9 hours late on a regular basis. My uncle from Illinois had flown into Seattle the day before and met me at King Street Station. It was my first look at the new and improved King Street Station, and while it was much better than having to avoid tripping over scaffolding, construction equipment, and workers, not to mention having to use temporary restrooms located outside the building, IMHO there is room for improvement yet.

We were staying in the Moore Hotel, just up the hill from Pike Place Market, and caught the Link Light Rail to Westlake, about 3 blocks from the hotel. I dropped my bags off and headed to what has become my favorite restaurant choice, Lowell's in Pike Place Market, for lunch. After lunch, we wandered down to the waterfront, and after some deliberation, decided to purchase a city pass. Seattle, like many other large cities, offers a ticket book with discounted tickets to many of the attractions the city has to offer. We used one of the tickets, for a harbor tour offered by Argosy Cruises. I have taken these tours several times, but they never get old. At the end of the cruise we wandered back to the hotel so I could catch up on sleep, having been up for 28 hours.

June 24 (Seattle)

On Tuesday the 24th, we used more of our tickets in the city pass book. After breakfast at Lowell's again, where I just HAD to have their dungeness crab omelette, (much better than an Amtrak fricotta :lol) we caught a city bus for the Woodland Park Zoo. It had changed a little bit since the last time I was there, not too surprising since "the last time I was there" was in 1966, when I was six years old. :lol: About all I remember from 48 years ago was a tall totem pole and GN 1246, a Great Northern class F-8 2-8-0 steam locomotive. Both were long gone. After walking around the grounds of the zoo, and seeing just about all parts of it, we headed back to our hotel. After lunch we took the monorail to the Space Needle. Like the harbor tours, I've been to the Space Needle several times but it never gets old. After spending some time there, we went down to the waterfront and met my sister, bro-in-law, niece, nephew, his wife, and their two young sons for dinner at the Crab Pot. Dining there is an experience; if you order a big combo meal they don't bother with plates. They throw the food out on the table and let everyone fend for themselves. Kinda like the way Amtrak is headed with their dining car experience. :p :lol: After dinner and after a short rest at the hotel, we went back to the Space Needle, for a nighttime visit. The city pass book allows for two visits to the Space Needle within a 24 hour period and we took full advantage of it. We were able to do some trainfanning from the top of the Needle as we observed the Empire Builder arrive, only about 9 hours behind schedule. I love the view from the Space Needle during the day but like it even more so at night when everything is all lit up. Around 10 PM we returned to our hotel and got things ready for our departure the next afternoon for Glacier Park.

June 25 (Seattle + Empire Builder)

On this day, we left for Glacier Park. After a quick breakfast at Mickey D's and after wandering around Pike Place Market for awhile, we checked out of our hotel, caught a cab to King Street Station, and prepared to board the train. We had a roomette from Seattle to Glacier, and left right on time. Our SCA was Tanner, who is an excellent SCA. Very attentive, and one that shows he cares about the passengers he's attending to. Very nice, too. A great combo. He had coffee hot and ready for those wanting it, and had several huge boxes of juice available. No ice, however. He explained apologetically that after the directive not to have ice readily available, some SCAs ignored the order, and got into trouble for it. He also said that Amtrak had gotten fined a couple of times for it. As we prefer Coke and had brough several two liter bottles of it with us, he was able to secure a large bucket full of ice from the diner for us. Kudos to Tanner!

At Edmonds, we ran into an example of some rather interesting dispatching. We sat at the Edmonds station for half an hour because, according to the conductor, who was very good about announcing things, #8 was awaiting instructions from the dispatcher. Half an hour to give us instructions?? Must have been a long coffee break. :lol: At any rate, we got going again, and we settled down to enjoy the view. It was another gorgeous day. We lucked out with weather in Seattle; it was perfect the whole time we were there. Soon Elliott, the LSA, came by for dinner reservations. Elliott did a good job of keeping the dining car in order, but if he'd entered a personality contest with a cigar store Indian, the Indian would have won. He wasn't unpleasant in any way, but just was devoid of personality. We were called to dinner during our run in the Cascades Tunnel. We were seated with a man and woman from Connecticut. He was, of all things, an Amtrak ticket agent. I didn't catch the name of the city where he worked out of. I had the salmon, and it was excellent. More than made up for the lousy breakfast I'd had two days prior. And the piddly salads had TWO, count 'em, TWO grape tomatoes instead of one!!!! :eek: Don't tell John Mica that!!!! :p While waiting for dinner, not too far out of the east portal of the Cascades Tunnel, we glided to a stop. The announcement was made that we were waiting for a westbound freight. So, while we enjoyed the conversation with the ticket agent and his wife, and the dinner, we waited.....and waited.....and waited. Finally, after about an hour and 15 minutes, the offending train passed by. Only it wasn't a freight trundlng up the grade we were waiting for......it was a 10 hour late EB. Our own TraneMan was aboard that train; thanks a lot!!! :angry: :p ;) :lol: As a result, we were about 2 hours late into Leavenworth, Wenatchee, and Ephrata. With padding in the schedule between Ephrata and Spokane, pulled into Spokane less than an hour late. By this time, we'd had Tanner get our beds ready for the night.. At Spokane, I got off long enough to see if the windows on my car, which I had parked in the parking lot run by the city at the Amtrak station were still intact and make sure I hadn't got a parking ticket. Fortunately for me, the answers were yes and no. I climbed back aboard and tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to sleep after that.

June 26 and beyond (to be continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a fun trip... okay, any trip involving crab is a great trip .... oops... don't be tempted by the crab cake sandwich lunch special.... bleh is a kind review.... I'll have to visit Lowell's! Looking forward to more of the trip. We loved Glacier!

Sounds great so far except for the crummy breakfast and the poor dispatching! And with apologies to Charlie,seems yall picked the two days a year its sunny and warm in Seattle! LOL

Look forward to the next chapter of the trip, and I know you work @ night but you do need to sleep some and when its dark outside that's a perfect time while riding in a Train! LOL

Part 2

June 26 (EB and Glacier Park)

A couple of things I forgot to mention previously: Tanner also had a 24 pack of bottled water available. Also, for dinner, Sarah was our server. She was very efficient, and very cheerfull. Either she genuinely cares about her job and the people she serves or she's good at faking it. :lol:

At any rate, after Spokane, I tried to sleep, but didn't succeed too well. I never sleep well on a train the first night. I dozed on and off until I gave up for good at Whitefish. I was surprised to note we'd made up half an hour at Whitefish and were now only half an hour behind. This half an hour proved beneficial as it gave us time for breakfast. Breakfast begins at 6:30 on the EB and the scheduled time into East Glacier is about 6:50 AM, so an on-time EB wouldn't have given us enough time for breakfast. We went to breakfast right after the stop at West Glacier, and were seated with a couple who had boarded #28 in Portland. They were headed to Chicago, and knew all about the delays that had been occurring and didn't care. A couple of foaming apologists. ;) We got off at East Glacier about 7:25 and were greeted by Terry Sherburne from the Mountain Pine Motel, where we would be staying. He picked us up in a vehicle that was well-suited for shuttling passengers to and from his motel and for not much else: a mid '70's vintage VW van with a fuel leak somewhere. They had a room ready for us even though it was several hours prior to their check-in time. As the Dollar Rent-A-Car office wasn't open yet we settled in and got cleaned up before getting our rental car.

After getting our vehicle, we went to our first destination: Many Glacier.. Our great weather in Seattle wasn't so great in Glacier Park. This day it was very cold, windy, wet, and gloomy. I don't think it got much above 50F all day. At any rate, we made our way to Many Glacier. I had been there once before, 11 years ago, and it was as pretty as I remember. We went into the hotel there and looked around for a bit, and also took several photos despite the wet weather. Our next stop was to be Two Medicine. We had returned to our motel, and were going to go to Two Medicine after lunch. We had lunch at the Whistle Stop cafe in East Glacier, where a reader board proclaimed that their huckleberry pie had been voted the best. The voting must have been done in Chicago, as it was the worst piece of huckleberry pie I've ever had. After lunch, I was going to take a short nap before heading to Two Medicine. My lack of sleep from the previous night caught up with me as my short nap turned out to be over 6 hours long, I awoke at 8pm and we went to another cafe', Luna's, for dinner. And their huckleberry pie was much superior!

June 27--Glacier Park

After breakfast at Luna's we first went to Two Medicine. There are other more popular places at Glacier, but Two Medicine is a gem in its own right. Despite the forecast of more dire awful weather, it was sunny and nice, if you overlook the brisk winds. There are many different boat tours available in Glacier Park and Two Medicine is one of them. We decided to take this tour. It was a narrated tour of the lake and its surroundings. It wasn't as enjoyable as it might have been on the journey up the lake as the man behind me thought it was a good idea to keep his booted planted firmly on my ample back side for the length of the trip. Fortunately for me he got off to go hiking at the other end of the lake so I and my backside got to enjoy the trip back much more. After poking around the store there, we decided to return to Many Glacier and take the boat tour there. Unfortunately, the first scheduled tour, at 2:30, was full with a waiting list. The next one was at 4, but we didn't want to wait that long, so we had lunch in the restaurant at the hotel instead, and poked around some more, taking advantage of the weather to take more photos. We then decided to go on Going-to-the-Sun Road as far as we could. It was still not open all the way yet, but we were able to go about 13 1/2 miles on it from the east side before having to turn back. Less than a mile from where the road was closed, we got into a construction zone and were advised by the flagger that it would be about 20-30 minutes before we could move. All that practice waiting for the dispatcher to wake up and sitting on the siding waiting for a very tardy EB came in handy. :lol: It was about 20 minutes before we were able to get moving again. It was disappointing that the road wasn't completely open yet, but that's what happens when one schedules a trip to Glacier Park in June. What views we did get were outstanding, though, and it was well worth the trip.

After driving the east half of GTTS road, we went back to our motel for a bit before making our last trip of the day: To Essex and the Izaak Walton Inn for dinner. We had never been to the inn before and were curious about it. Our dinner there was a tad disappointing. I wasn't sure, though, I'd even be served. The inn is decorated as one might expect in Great Northern decor, and I had the audacity to enter the restaurant wearing a Northern Pacific polo shirt. ;) I apologized to our server, who let it go this time, but said not to let it happen again. :lol: At any rate, we both had the trout dinner, which consisted of a whole trout, dollop of garlic mashed potatoes, rock-hard tastless vegetables (as opposed to the tasteless mushy vegetables served on Amtrak), diet Pepsi, and huckleberry cobbler. It was good, but not $70 for the two of us good. We wandered the inn a bit, and returned to the motel for the night.

June 28-29 (Glacier Park and EB)

Our plan for this day was to explore the West Glacier area. As the weather report for the previous day had been wrong, so was the prediction this day. It was supposed to be partly sunny with a possiblilty of showers. There was a possibility of showers, all right: a hard, cold rain that those in rural areas would liken to a cow peeing on a flat rock. You urban folk will just have to use your imagination on this one; rural folk know exactly what I'm talking about. :lol: At any rate, we got in our rental and headed to West Glacier. In the lovely not-so-gentle rain, we went up the west side of Going-to-the-Sun road as far as it would take us. We were able to go about 16 1/2 miles on this side of the road, but the scenery there is not nearly as interesting. After we turned around, we went back to Lake McDonald Lodge and Apgar for a bit, and explored a couple more stores. I'm not usually one for snooping around stores, but for some reason, enjoy it in the Glacier Park area. We had been tracking #7's progress, as we would be boarding it that night, and was amazed to find it keeping very good time, even through Nortk Dakota: It left Williston all of 3 minutes late. I had good luck with the EB on my first two trips and looked liked it would even be better for the third and last one. It was really too wet and nasty to do much sightseeing, so after lunch at the Glacier Highlands, we went back to our motel to rest up and track the train We did make a stop at the lodge in East Glacier to look around too.

Of course #7's good luck couldn't last forever. It lost an hour between Willliston and Wolf Point, presumably due to oil trains, and lost another hour and a half between Glasgow and Malta, presumably due to track work. At any rate, we rested up, and had one last dinner at Luna's, where we had to wait half an hour for their huckleberry pie. Once again, our experience waiting on Amtrak served us well. :lol: After returning our rental car to Dollar, we got our things ready and had Terry transport us back to the train station at East Glacier. The EB was scheduled in to East Glacier at 8:05 PM; it actually got there around 9:35, only an hour and a half down, very good considering how awful the timekeeping had been. Once again, in the back of my mind I was hoping it would be very late so as to see the scenery between Libby and Sandpoint. I've driven it before and know how beautiful it is but would like to see it by train. Not this time. We got settled in our seats for the trip to Spokane. I tried to sleep some but only dozed occasionally. Not the best thing to happen when I had an hour's drive to my mom's where my uncle would be staying and where I would be for a couple of days before heading back to work. I wish I'd caught the car attendant's name; she did an excellent job. I predict good things for this young woman. Most coach attendants are non-existant; she wasn't. And she was very cheerful as well. I hope she can advance with Amtrak; they need more employees like her.

We stayed about 90 minutes behind, and thought maybe we'd be less than an hour late into Spokane, as there is ample padding in the schedule between Sandpoint and Spokane, but at Hauser Jct., ID, just over the border from Washington and about 25 minutes from Spokane, we started going slower.....and slooower.......and slooooower...until we came to a complete stop. And sat for half an hour, waiting on an eastbound freight. We eventually got into Spokane around 4:15, little over an hour late....excellent considering the horrendous timekeeping of the EB as late.

Thus endeth another thoroughly enjoyable trip. Here are my photos from the trip:

: To see each picture in a bigger view and for captions, just click on each picture.

A few final random thoughts: The service was good throughout, if you overlook the lousy breakfast I had on #7 going to Seattle. I should know better than to order something I'd never heard of. :lol: Also, call me a foaming apologist, but I didn't even notice much in the way of lesser amenities other than fake flowers. That doesn't matter to me. The dinner was excellent, and Tanner's service as our SCA was, too.

FInally: I love riding trains. And I enjoyed this trip, even though it involved the EB. Granted, I got very lucky with its timekeeping westbound. Granted, I wasn't making connections. But, I'm not one to tell people what they should do or shouldn't do (unless they specifically ask). I've read posts by disgruntled passengers urging everyone to avoid the EB until its timekeeping is much better. Well, I don't feel that way at all. Who, after all, am I to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do based on MY experience? I like to think people have enough sense to look at the situation and figure it out for themselves. True, I'm not as enthusiastic about riding the EB as I once was and I don't give train travel quite as glowing a description as I used to, but I'm not going to tell anyone to do or not do anything. I won't even recommend riding the EB or any other train, one way or the other. I may lay out the facts and lay out what may or may not occur, but I leave it up to everyone to think for themselves.

OK, off my soapbox and ready for my next trip: Back to Glacier Park and ultimately Yellowstone, taking a page from Traveler's book: flight to Chicago, Lincoln Service from Summit to Bloomington, CONO from Champaign to Chicago, SWC from Chicago to Los Angeles, CS from Los Angeles to Seattle, overnight in Seattle, and Seattle to Glacier Park on the EB. Then a rental to Yellowstone for a few days, then back to Glacier Park for a return to Spokane. This begins in just over three weeks, on August 2nd. Can't wait!!!!! :)

Except for the bad weather, the overpriced dinner and the Bad Huckleberry Pie ( they do have other deserts Jeff! LOL) sounds like another great trip! Im envious!

My gf is going to Yellostone and Grand Teton in August, bet it will be crowded! I won't be going, I'm having cataract surgery @ the start of August! (Sigh)

Part 2

June 26 (EB and Glacier Park)

A couple of things I forgot to mention previously: Tanner also had a 24 pack of bottled water available. Also, for dinner, Sarah was our server. She was very efficient, and very cheerfull. Either she genuinely cares about her job and the people she serves or she's good at faking it. :lol:

At any rate, after Spokane, I tried to sleep, but didn't succeed too well. I never sleep well on a train the first night. I dozed on and off until I gave up for good at Whitefish. I was surprised to note we'd made up half an hour at Whitefish and were now only half an hour behind. This half an hour proved beneficial as it gave us time for breakfast. Breakfast begins at 6:30 on the EB and the scheduled time into East Glacier is about 6:50 AM, so an on-time EB wouldn't have given us enough time for breakfast. We went to breakfast right after the stop at West Glacier, and were seated with a couple who had boarded #28 in Portland. They were headed to Chicago, and knew all about the delays that had been occurring and didn't care. A couple of foaming apologists. ;) We got off at East Glacier about 7:25 and were greeted by Terry Sherburne from the Mountain Pine Motel, where we would be staying. He picked us up in a vehicle that was well-suited for shuttling passengers to and from his motel and for not much else: a mid '70's vintage VW van with a fuel leak somewhere. They had a room ready for us even though it was several hours prior to their check-in time. As the Dollar Rent-A-Car office wasn't open yet we settled in and got cleaned up before getting our rental car.

After getting our vehicle, we went to our first destination: Many Glacier.. Our great weather in Seattle wasn't so great in Glacier Park. This day it was very cold, windy, wet, and gloomy. I don't think it got much above 50F all day. At any rate, we made our way to Many Glacier. I had been there once before, 11 years ago, and it was as pretty as I remember. We went into the hotel there and looked around for a bit, and also took several photos despite the wet weather. Our next stop was to be Two Medicine. We had returned to our motel, and were going to go to Two Medicine after lunch. We had lunch at the Whistle Stop cafe in East Glacier, where a reader board proclaimed that their huckleberry pie had been voted the best. The voting must have been done in Chicago, as it was the worst piece of huckleberry pie I've ever had. After lunch, I was going to take a short nap before heading to Two Medicine. My lack of sleep from the previous night caught up with me as my short nap turned out to be over 6 hours long, I awoke at 8pm and we went to another cafe', Luna's, for dinner. And their huckleberry pie was much superior!

June 27--Glacier Park

After breakfast at Luna's we first went to Two Medicine. There are other more popular places at Glacier, but Two Medicine is a gem in its own right. Despite the forecast of more dire awful weather, it was sunny and nice, if you overlook the brisk winds. There are many different boat tours available in Glacier Park and Two Medicine is one of them. We decided to take this tour. It was a narrated tour of the lake and its surroundings. It wasn't as enjoyable as it might have been on the journey up the lake as the man behind me thought it was a good idea to keep his booted planted firmly on my ample back side for the length of the trip. Fortunately for me he got off to go hiking at the other end of the lake so I and my backside got to enjoy the trip back much more. After poking around the store there, we decided to return to Many Glacier and take the boat tour there. Unfortunately, the first scheduled tour, at 2:30, was full with a waiting list. The next one was at 4, but we didn't want to wait that long, so we had lunch in the restaurant at the hotel instead, and poked around some more, taking advantage of the weather to take more photos. We then decided to go on Going-to-the-Sun Road as far as we could. It was still not open all the way yet, but we were able to go about 13 1/2 miles on it from the east side before having to turn back. Less than a mile from where the road was closed, we got into a construction zone and were advised by the flagger that it would be about 20-30 minutes before we could move. All that practice waiting for the dispatcher to wake up and sitting on the siding waiting for a very tardy EB came in handy. :lol: It was about 20 minutes before we were able to get moving again. It was disappointing that the road wasn't completely open yet, but that's what happens when one schedules a trip to Glacier Park in June. What views we did get were outstanding, though, and it was well worth the trip.

After driving the east half of GTTS road, we went back to our motel for a bit before making our last trip of the day: To Essex and the Izaak Walton Inn for dinner. We had never been to the inn before and were curious about it. Our dinner there was a tad disappointing. I wasn't sure, though, I'd even be served. The inn is decorated as one might expect in Great Northern decor, and I had the audacity to enter the restaurant wearing a Northern Pacific polo shirt. ;) I apologized to our server, who let it go this time, but said not to let it happen again. :lol: At any rate, we both had the trout dinner, which consisted of a whole trout, dollop of garlic mashed potatoes, rock-hard tastless vegetables (as opposed to the tasteless mushy vegetables served on Amtrak), diet Pepsi, and huckleberry cobbler. It was good, but not $70 for the two of us good. We wandered the inn a bit, and returned to the motel for the night.

June 28-29 (Glacier Park and EB)

Our plan for this day was to explore the West Glacier area. As the weather report for the previous day had been wrong, so was the prediction this day. It was supposed to be partly sunny with a possiblilty of showers. There was a possibility of showers, all right: a hard, cold rain that those in rural areas would liken to a cow peeing on a flat rock. You urban folk will just have to use your imagination on this one; rural folk know exactly what I'm talking about. :lol: At any rate, we got in our rental and headed to West Glacier. In the lovely not-so-gentle rain, we went up the west side of Going-to-the-Sun road as far as it would take us. We were able to go about 16 1/2 miles on this side of the road, but the scenery there is not nearly as interesting. After we turned around, we went back to Lake McDonald Lodge and Apgar for a bit, and explored a couple more stores. I'm not usually one for snooping around stores, but for some reason, enjoy it in the Glacier Park area. We had been tracking #7's progress, as we would be boarding it that night, and was amazed to find it keeping very good time, even through Nortk Dakota: It left Williston all of 3 minutes late. I had good luck with the EB on my first two trips and looked liked it would even be better for the third and last one. It was really too wet and nasty to do much sightseeing, so after lunch at the Glacier Highlands, we went back to our motel to rest up and track the train We did make a stop at the lodge in East Glacier to look around too.

Of course #7's good luck couldn't last forever. It lost an hour between Willliston and Wolf Point, presumably due to oil trains, and lost another hour and a half between Glasgow and Malta, presumably due to track work. At any rate, we rested up, and had one last dinner at Luna's, where we had to wait half an hour for their huckleberry pie. Once again, our experience waiting on Amtrak served us well. :lol: After returning our rental car to Dollar, we got our things ready and had Terry transport us back to the train station at East Glacier. The EB was scheduled in to East Glacier at 8:05 PM; it actually got there around 9:35, only an hour and a half down, very good considering how awful the timekeeping had been. Once again, in the back of my mind I was hoping it would be very late so as to see the scenery between Libby and Sandpoint. I've driven it before and know how beautiful it is but would like to see it by train. Not this time. We got settled in our seats for the trip to Spokane. I tried to sleep some but only dozed occasionally. Not the best thing to happen when I had an hour's drive to my mom's where my uncle would be staying and where I would be for a couple of days before heading back to work. I wish I'd caught the car attendant's name; she did an excellent job. I predict good things for this young woman. Most coach attendants are non-existant; she wasn't. And she was very cheerful as well. I hope she can advance with Amtrak; they need more employees like her.

We stayed about 90 minutes behind, and thought maybe we'd be less than an hour late into Spokane, as there is ample padding in the schedule between Sandpoint and Spokane, but at Hauser Jct., ID, just over the border from Washington and about 25 minutes from Spokane, we started going slower.....and slooower.......and slooooower...until we came to a complete stop. And sat for half an hour, waiting on an eastbound freight. We eventually got into Spokane around 4:15, little over an hour late....excellent considering the horrendous timekeeping of the EB as late.

Thus endeth another thoroughly enjoyable trip. Here are my photos from the trip:

: To see each picture in a bigger view and for captions, just click on each picture.

A few final random thoughts: The service was good throughout, if you overlook the lousy breakfast I had on #7 going to Seattle. I should know better than to order something I'd never heard of. :lol: Also, call me a foaming apologist, but I didn't even notice much in the way of lesser amenities other than fake flowers. That doesn't matter to me. The dinner was excellent, and Tanner's service as our SCA was, too.

FInally: I love riding trains. And I enjoyed this trip, even though it involved the EB. Granted, I got very lucky with its timekeeping westbound. Granted, I wasn't making connections. But, I'm not one to tell people what they should do or shouldn't do (unless they specifically ask). I've read posts by disgruntled passengers urging everyone to avoid the EB until its timekeeping is much better. Well, I don't feel that way at all. Who, after all, am I to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do based on MY experience? I like to think people have enough sense to look at the situation and figure it out for themselves. True, I'm not as enthusiastic about riding the EB as I once was and I don't give train travel quite as glowing a description as I used to, but I'm not going to tell anyone to do or not do anything. I won't even recommend riding the EB or any other train, one way or the other. I may lay out the facts and lay out what may or may not occur, but I leave it up to everyone to think for themselves.

OK, off my soapbox and ready for my next trip: Back to Glacier Park and ultimately Yellowstone, taking a page from Traveler's book: flight to Chicago, Lincoln Service from Summit to Bloomington, CONO from Champaign to Chicago, SWC from Chicago to Los Angeles, CS from Los Angeles to Seattle, overnight in Seattle, and Seattle to Glacier Park on the EB. Then a rental to Yellowstone for a few days, then back to Glacier Park for a return to Spokane. This begins in just over three weeks, on August 2nd. Can't wait!!!!! :)
Can I hitch a ride???? :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :huh: :)

Part 2 of the report is great, as well. I really liked seeing new territory in the photos. I haven't been on the Seattle section of the EB, though I've been over Stevens Pass on the road many times when I lived in Seattle years ago. And I've never been to Glacier NP, though I have old, old photos of my mother and grandmother in Glacier. I'd like to go there some day before all the glaciers have melted.

Great pictures and great plans ahead! I just love the ship cranes! They remind me from a distance of the things in Star Wars that the bad guys ran. Thanks for bringing back great memories!

Great pictures and great plans ahead! I just love the ship cranes! They remind me from a distance of the things in Star Wars that the bad guys ran. Thanks for bringing back great memories!
My pleasure. :) Funny you should mention that about the gantry cranes: Every time I see them " The Imperial March" song starts running through my head. :lol:

Back