The big map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottR

Service Attendant
i love Looking at the Amtrak map…

what‘s wrong with the Zephyrs?
Empire Builders are missing!

all those trains I’ve taken and love and obviously are affected by weather and Covid, but just curious if anyone knows…

and, you call me out for it, but I never noted the 1,2 3,4, 5,6, 7,8 numbering system until just now…that is pretty neat.

someday I hope to take the 1 from New Orleans to Los Angeles. That looks like a fun one! Who’s done that?
344473AA-4E2C-45C5-8359-2BDB7134FF43.png

Incidentally the "big map" and other maps and train status information links can now be found at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-timetables-and-train-information.80742/
Thanks for this…I didn’t know it was there. I love the old route maps and the juckins.net schedules and printing them out in full colors, then taking a pencil or pen and crossing out the stops In between…as well as planning Sunrise and Sunset and where we are gonna be for breakfast lunch and dinner. It’s a really fun part of the Train experience. It’s kind of old school but lots of fun.

Thanks for this…I didn’t know it was there. I love the old route maps and the juckins.net schedules and printing them out in full colors, then taking a pencil or pen and crossing out the stops In between…as well as planning Sunrise and Sunset and where we are gonna be for breakfast lunch and dinner. It’s a really fun part of the Train experience. It’s kind of old school but lots of fun.
I just put the page together this morning. So they have not been well publicized yet. Glad that you like.

Yes, I have taken the train from New Orleans to Los Angeles several times. Not that long ago, I seem to recall the roomettes were very cheap, I think $235 for the whole route. Combined with a roomette on the City of New Orleans for around $100, it was a fun way to head west... These were the days of $2 to the £1, so even better! I did ride the Sunset Limited all the way from Los Angeles to Orlando one time also, although we did arrive about 24 hours late!

Just a wonderment…what does happen when your stuck on a train….I mean a long distance train that isn’t just late, but 8 or more hours late…I’ve never had the experience thankfully but it’s happening according to the big map…

1. Does OBS communicate it? I’ve always thought this was hit or miss. Sometimes they do, most times they do not
2. it has to be asked, but what about the toilets….
3. do they run out of food? I’ve heard about Amstew and I actually like Dinty Moor so I guess I would be ok for a few meals
4. do they let you off? I’m not a smoker (not Anymore for a long time) but man that would be a tough one for those that are…
5. What if you are in the middle of nowhere…so they come to get you are so you just sort of camp out?

anyway I would like to hear about what that is like. It has never happened to me…I think I’ve only been 3 hours late at most after 20 years of Amtrak travels, but I’ve seen some epic delays lately and just wonder what they do…

We were stuck for several hours just outside of Las Vegas, NM once. Unfortunately, the rooms were sold out, so we were stuck in coach for that trip.

They passed around snack packs and water and told us our locomotive was disabled. We were waiting for another to arrive. They did keep us posted.

Unfortunately, they didn't let anyone off the train. My boyfriend was a smoker, and it had already been a while since a fresh air stop. Between the withdrawal, upset passengers, and crying babies, he was at his limit.

The worst part was that his mother was quite ill, and it was her birthday. We'd planned to take her out to dinner that night, as she was having one of her better days. As the hours passed and it became obvious we were going to miss dinner, he got even more upset. We didn't get in until 10:30 PM. She passed away a few months later, and I know he regrets not being able to have one last celebration with her.

It really irked me when people said things like, "At least you were on a train," and, "Bonus! More train time!" Not everyone likes being stuck for hours on end, and when you're missing important things (work, family, funeral, wedding), it's hard to see a bright side. "At least..." is one of those expressions that lacks sympathy and invalidates that person's feelings.

I was stuck on EB at Cut Bank MT waiting for the track to be cleared of heavy snow up in Marias Pass. They knew that we would be there many hours, so they let us off the train and many of us found ourselves in a Brewery of sorts. Instructions given to use was to not stray too far and that we will get a ten minute warning whistle before departure. Any way, the stay was long enough for us to have our fill and then crawl back to the train and into bed before it was time to move on. This was many moons ago when the Superliners were in their original livery as delivered. We ultimately did make it to Portland in my case sometime in the afternoon.

We were stuck for several hours just outside of Las Vegas, NM once. Unfortunately, the rooms were sold out, so we were stuck in coach for that trip.

They passed around snack packs and water and told us our locomotive was disabled. We were waiting for another to arrive. They did keep us posted.

Unfortunately, they didn't let anyone off the train. My boyfriend was a smoker, and it had already been a while since a fresh air stop. Between the withdrawal, upset passengers, and crying babies, he was at his limit.

The worst part was that his mother was quite ill, and it was her birthday. We'd planned to take her out to dinner that night, as she was having one of her better days. As the hours passed and it became obvious we were going to miss dinner, he got even more upset. We didn't get in until 10:30 PM. She passed away a few months later, and I know he regrets not being able to have one last celebration with her.

It really irked me when people said things like, "At least you were on a train," and, "Bonus! More train time!" Not everyone likes being stuck for hours on end, and when you're missing important things (work, family, funeral, wedding), it's hard to see a bright side. "At least..." is one of those expressions that lacks sympathy and invalidates that person's feelings.
Well that is a sad story. I will admit am one of those who would have said “bonus…more train time” because I don’t ride the train expecting to get anywhere on time, just approximately…hence my post above. But there are clearly those that do. This is a case in point.

See this thread for info about the Empire Builder (7/27 & 8/28)

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...-equipment-staff-and-other-disruptions.80715/
The Zephyrs are running into weather related issues also. Yesterday a big boulder damaged the track in the Rockies which delayed 5 & 6 while the MOW removed the boulder and repaired the tracks

Oh boy. Now getting more nervous about my trip next week. If I miss my Cardinal I am screwed, the next few days roomettes were sold out. (Luckily have an overnight buffer, but still...)

Now I’ve become obsessed with this thing. Is there any historical reason for the numberings of the trains?
I see all the western trains seem to meeting up at 2.00 am pacific…I assume that is by design. Why that time?
it’s fascinating to me at least!D5AC0CCD-C7A6-4930-842A-644AFA88A7E7.png

Those pacific trains are all in red, meaning they’re all running late. They just happen to be in the same area due to they’re individual lateness.

more info on the # about amtrak.. as i went google hunting.. that is pretty neat info.. Amtrak - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Even-numbered Amtrak trains generally travel north and east, odd-numbered south and west. Among the exceptions are Pacific Surfliner trains, which use the opposite numbering system inherited from Santa Fe Railway, and some Downeaster and Empire Service trains

Downeaster inherited its numbering from the Boston & Maine / Maine Central days when trains headed toward Boston were Eastbound (and therefore even numbered) no matter what actual geographic direction they are traveling in. Makes sense when you consider B&M had several other lines (Fitchburg main, New Hampshire Main) where heading to Boston was actually Eastbound. I suspect Empire Service is similar, trains headed to New York are Eastbound (even numbers).

more info on the # about amtrak.. as i went google hunting.. that is pretty neat info.. Amtrak - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Even-numbered Amtrak trains generally travel north and east, odd-numbered south and west. Among the exceptions are Pacific Surfliner trains, which use the opposite numbering system inherited from Santa Fe Railway, and some Downeaster and Empire Service trains
Indeed! But they more or less all use the so called "railroad direction" and not necessarily "geographical direction" to determine their train number.

In general New York to Albany as part of the water level route to Chicago has always been considered "railroad west" direction, and not North. Which of course causes the Adirondack and Ethan Allen headed North to have an odd number etc.

Scott, I too love looking at the maps (and timetables). It's most fun to dream of the places one can go and how to accomplish, and the real time status of the trains on Transitdocs makes you feel more connected to those dreams.
Yes that is the fun of it. For instance…what would it be like to be on train #692 on your way to Churchill at this time of year. I had to google it! I can only imagine,but some people are on there right now and I’d love to hear what they are seeing and doing…

Yes, I have taken the train from New Orleans to Los Angeles several times. Not that long ago, I seem to recall the roomettes were very cheap, I think $235 for the whole route. Combined with a roomette on the City of New Orleans for around $100, it was a fun way to head west... These were the days of $2 to the £1, so even better! I did ride the Sunset Limited all the way from Los Angeles to Orlando one time also, although we did arrive about 24 hours late!
Holy mcsnorkle…I’ll not be doing this anytime soon. At this stage in me life, time to get onto coach…can’t make those prices make any sense5E9DBB89-72E8-4D41-BCF7-30F4EAE7E3D6.png

Back